Survivalist Forum banner

Bug out cart

24K views 81 replies 53 participants last post by  murex 
#1 ·
We are about 2 hours drive from our BOL, longer if we avoid the interstate. I imagine gridlock if there is a massive exodus. It is stocked with food, water and ammo, and do have a 12 ga in a locker bolted under our house trailer, but the bulk of my firearms are with me. I have a couple of those push golf carts that I have strapped extra large duffels to. It works well, and my wife and I can easily pick up the ends and carry for short distances over obstacles if need be. I will still keep my regular BOB with my primary weapon on my body, but can anyone find fault with my bug out cart solution to bringing more gear with me?

#19 ·
I'm in the exact opposite situation. I'd love to be able to take more things with me, but will need the mobility to get out of a very dangerous area quickly. Once I'm out, I'll be slugging through soft sand for a long way. It's not feasible to push a cart in.

So my solution was to stock the BOL with as much as I could, knowing I'd be leaving everything else behind except the bare essentials to get me there. I have a bunch of small caches along the way.

#8 ·
I like the cart/ahkio concept as a last resort option for evac. In the event we cannot bug-in, or that time runs out on a potential bol find/purchase, I like the idea of moving a substantial or long term sustainment load in the most expedient manner possible.

Fuel for motorized mobility is going to be both dangerous and extremely difficult to obtain in worst case scenario. And even in the event it is abundantly available initially as a scavengable resource, mobility may be restricted due to congestion. Not to mention, the noise of a running engine will bring attention very quickly.

The ideal concept, is of course to be dug-in in bol prior to or very shortly after a crisis. But ultimately this may not be an option for various reasons (e.g., no BOL in place, or BOL surrendered or taken by force or circumstances).

In this scenario, what would one do to relocate to a safe zone loaded down with all you could bail with? This is why I like the idea of being able to load up expedition modules designed to carry 200-400 lbs and manuever quickly over difficult terrain.

The carts I've been researching vary sustantially in design. The one I found just recently, a one wheeled type using a heavy duty motorcycle type wheel & tire with a hand break, is by far one of the most versatile designs I've seen.

The cargo area is large enough to load a large number of dry bags/tools, etc. The Ahkio cover is my idea. In snow covered terrain, the entire cart must be designed to disassemble at the wheel base so it can be loaded then on top of the ahkio.

I have a design from a guy on-line who's father fabricated one from steel. I'd just like to find so titanium tubing to have one built to those specs.

#10 ·
I bet a lot of people will use shopping carts. I was also thing about this idea and noticed a friend had a 3 wheel baby carriage with knobby tires. Don't know how much weight it could stand to carry for long though. But it would be somewhat descreat looking.

#20 ·
You might be smart to get your cart solution in place ahead of time. Or you might find out that all the shopping carts have already been taken by others before you. I never like to leave any aspect to chance. There's just too many things that can go wrong because things rarely work out as planned.

#17 ·
Off subject I know - dog riding on bike:

Mines to big for this.

I asked a friend about electric bikes, and he said they were only good if your on the flat majority of the time, they wouldnt get you up an average hill you would still have to pedal hard.

I think a golfing cart (the ones you sit in) would be good but that would still need clear roads which isnt going to happen any time soon.

#18 ·
Definitely a game cart. Lots of good ones to choose from out there. They are meant for rugged terrain, highly adaptable for unique loads, quiet and then store easily.

Especially if you're taking a pet that you want to kennel for whatever reason (maybe a cat or because they're small and get tired, danger of wandering off) they make a good base layer on the game cart.

This is one of the ones I'm looking at right now to replace my much lighter weight one.

#57 ·
That is a GREAT idea if you have a secure or owned BOL. Lots of us (myself included) do not have that benefit.

Caching is an alternative to those without a BOL that allows for secure storage.

#23 ·
The more you can carry, the greater your choices, and sustainability.
9 days out of a backpack is the hard way.

Bicycle and trailer would be my vote.
good cross country (even if ya have ta walk it)
open road - a lot faster than walking

Reactions: AZman
#24 ·
If you have a good sized dog or two dog pack and or carts
http://dogcarts.com/
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=dog+packs+for+sale&FORM=HURE

I even had smaller ones for my past dogs. Our chow shep mix, about sixty lbs. eventually was able to carry about thirty to forty lbs either dog food cans water anything.
It was quite a sight LOL we looked like a doggie pack train.
But you have to work them up to it. a few pounds as a time. There are other precautions as to what type of dogs vs how much weight.
I have a GS and GR but the little ones can at least carry their own.
And to all my pit, staff and rottie folks, this is stuff they live for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.