15 - 20 minutes: 3.3 mph
20 - 25 minutes: 3.1 mph
25 - 30 minutes: 3.4 mph
30 - 35 minutes: 3.1 mph
35 - 40 minutes: 3.4 - 3.5 mph
40 - 45 minutes: 3.1 - 3.2 mph
45 - 50 minutes: 3.5 - 4.0 mph
50 - 60 minutes: 3.2 mph - cool down phase

The speed is based on 5 minute increments. Up about 3 mph for 5 minutes, back to my base speed for 5 minutes, up about 4 mph for 5 minutes, back to base for 5 minutes,,,,,.

Start at around 7 pm, and finish around 8 pm. This gives me 2 hours to cool down before bed time, which is around 10 - 11pm.

At this rate I average around 7,000 steps and around 3.1 - 3.18 miles each night. Next week I'am going to bump it up, so that I can get to the 3.5 miles in 1 hour.

I like to keep the workouts within 1 hour, maybe up to 1.25 hours. If I go past 8:30pm, I have problems going to sleep.

-----------

While on a hiking trip, I average about 1 mile per hour - that is going off the trail speed. Where I go, there are no trails, so its busting brush all the way.

My goal is to train 3X - 4X the speed that I hike, and not be sore the next day.

My wifes bike is going in the shop friday. Hopefully it will get fixed so that we can start riding in the evenings.

See less See more
#2 ·
My wife has had all the variations ... treadmill, Nordic Trac, elliptical (I don't even know what that thing does.)

I can't see working up that kind of sweat without getting something done.

By August last summer, I was running three miles every other evening.
On the off evenings, most of the times we would walk along the lakes for an hour or so.

I would like to get one of those generators that you can mount a bike on
... and use it for exercise and to charge the battery/inverter setup on winter evenings.

#4 ·
By August last summer, I was running three miles every other evening.
Those ellipticals are pretty nice - a gym I belonged to has a couple of them.

I'am trying to stay away from the actual "running". During my last physical, the doctor and I were talking about losing weight. I mentioned getting on the track and running or jogging. The doctor advised against it. Not that I'am too heavy, but due to that I'am in my 40s and I should start keeping the high impact exercises down.

The doctor told me - that I keep the high impact exercises to a minimum now, I should have less problems with my knees when I get in my 50s, 60 and 70s.

My current goal is walking, bike riding and light strength training.

I might even do a video about my workout.

#6 ·
I did the elliptical for years and years and really preferred it to the treadmill. If you're looking for low-impact, the elliptical is definitely the way to go.

I finally got bored with the gym about 18 months ago and took up running. I also changed my diet to 90% vegetarian and lost about 20 lbs. I'm running my first half marathon in 2 weeks.

I'm 10 years older than you kev. If you want to run, go ahead, you have my permission. :D:

#7 ·
I also changed my diet to 90% vegetarian and lost about 20 lbs.
I remember reading a write up about a year ago about weight lose and eating like a vegetarian.

People that removed meat from their diet, lost the greatest amount of weight. I'am going to guess that it has to do with the calorie content that meat has, as compared to fruits and veggies.

My wife and I are working on changing our eating habits. When we eat meat, we are trying to do so in the morning and for lunch. Dinner is something lite, like a salad with ham or turkey, tuna fish, pasta,,,, something with low fat, and low calorie content.

I really want to get off the treadmill and get back on the bikes. But my wifes is broke, and I dont want to leave her at home. So its going in the shop friday.

#8 ·
I don't push the vegetarian thing too hard because it's such a radical change for most people. I do like my meat; I just don't eat anywhere near as much as I did. I used to have a fairly typical American diet with meat nearly every meal. The key is finding veggie recipes you like, but it involves a good bit of trial and error.

#9 ·
If you really wantto stay on the treadmill and want a good workout. Then try this out. Put the incline up to 13 or 10 and then walk without holding on to anything. I found this to be lower impact on my left knee. Not to mention it almost simulates ugh stepping it like you would when you are hiking. It helped me lose weight fast and prep me for a good amount of hiking last year.

#10 ·
I love my treadmill, but I'm slooooow. I'm okay with that because I know I'm still helping to condition my heart and lungs.

For me it's great because I can wear my ipod but I don't have to worry about cars, rapists or dogs. I don't have to put on sunscreen and I usually don't even put on my glasses.

I'm 45 and female and my knees feel much better on the treadmill than they do running outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.