Where to actually keep emergency savings/cash? bank? Mattress? - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Acronyms kev New Member Introduction 1001 02-08-2017 03:50 PM
ARES / RACES or both? k0diak314 Communications 5 02-07-2017 07:37 PM
Home built cogeneration system - Battery bank charger / Hot water? Mr4btTahoe DIY - Do It Yourself 18 02-07-2017 08:54 AM
amateur radio communication for hobby or emergency Mrterryman Pennsylvania 6 01-24-2017 08:49 AM
A couple of questions about the battery bank I've built... hlsjunk DIY - Do It Yourself 32 01-07-2017 10:58 PM

Old 02-25-2017, 12:24 AM

Advertise Here

So this may not be popular but I don't think you should keep much cash hidden. The reason is easy, people forget about it, move, die etc. All my best finds at antique stores, estate sales, Craigslist etc have been hidden cash.

I'll just use generic numbers, adjust them as needed.

100 in your wallet, extra from your dad to day cash.
100 in your car 20s
200 in a easy to find location at your house, maybe a sick drawer or night stand.
600 with a trusted person outside the house, parents, family, good friend
1000 in a safe
1000 buried, in the attic etc.

2-3 months in a well known insured bank
2-3 months in a different we'll known insured bank.

I like spending risk, but house fires break in and your kids tweaker friend happens more than economic calopses.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:29 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 5,710 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFrugalPrepper View Post
$2200 in cash wouldn't even touch my personal monthly expenses, let alone my business expenses. My household expenses, brought down to the VERY basic with zero extras are $3700/mo due to the fact that we live in an Austin suburb. Add another $4500/mo of business expenses on top of that (tech based, still has to be run even if my own power is out) and that $2200 you say isn't needed is gone in under 10 minutes and 2 bills paid.
I think the exact amount is obviously going to be different for most people. $2200 would be enough to pay my bills for 4 months. It would also depend on the time of year too since I could probably swing for 6 months in the summer due to no propane use.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Libertarian

Thanked 2,562 Times in 1,111 Posts

Get a safe deposit box at your local bank. Simple.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:40 AM

I keep some in a bank, some in a safety deposit box, some at home but I never thought about keeping some with a friend. Also keep some at work in a desk drawer that's locked. I've had a few chances to grab deals because I had cash available quickly as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to HMM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 05:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 32,623 Times in 11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
Get a safe deposit box at your local bank. Simple.
I'm at a livestock auction right now.

One where I got the $2 pig.

And I wasn't there when my buddy passed on a $245 cow ready to breed this spring because his "cash in the bank" did him DIDDY.

ETA: he didn't learn.
I just went in halves with him on a vet checked pregnant cow for $960 because he left his $1500 in the bank and I can front it.
He hauls it, he pastures it, and we split the calves.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleversloth View Post
So this may not be popular but I don't think you should keep much cash hidden. The reason is easy, people forget about it, move, die etc. All my best finds at antique stores, estate sales, Craigslist etc have been hidden cash...
...I like spending risk, but house fires break in and your kids tweaker friend happens more than economic calopses.
Think of stashing cash as insurance. Most of us pay loads of money for insurance that we seldom ever get back. I donít know how much money I have spent just for auto insurance over the years, have had few claims, and keep on paying it. Someone else gets that money. So what if your personal cash stash never gets spent by you or someone that you know? Having access to stashed cash only works if you never tell a soul where itís at. The only secret that is really a secret is one that only you know.

Otherwise, stash your cash with a friend or family member, and bask in the knowledge that you have thrust upon them the burden of maintaining your stash for you, whether they are a willing participant or not. And if you do stash some cash somewhere, and you tell someone else about your cash stash (to make sure that it doesnít get forgotten), and it comes up missing, who are you going to think took it? And what if they didnít?

CD in Oklahoma