Survivalist Forum banner

Creepy stories from the outdoors.

7M views 7K replies 2K participants last post by  Square Peg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Back in the day, when I was in college, me and the oldest took off to a lake in the wilds of glacier country. I have extensive backcountry exposure, even did a stint as a big game guide in a remote backcountry camp. On this day we enjoyed the fishing and settled in for the night.

I pulled out my pan and stoked up a nice fire. It was clear and cool as the sun faded into the western slopes. We cooked up some fresh rainbows with garlic and butter and filled our stomachs. I leaned back against the cooler after pulling out a refreshing beverage. The boy was soon asleep by the fire as it had been a busy day. I sipped my beer and watched the moon light bouncing off the little waves in the lake. There was still a light glow on the western horizon where the sun had gone down and I could see the outline of the mountain peaks towering over the little lake. I slowly faded off to sleep with the sound of the lake waves gently lapping on the rocks.

I awoke with a start. The fire was out, the lantern was out too. The moon was gone and it was pitch black. Something was wrong. The hair on the back of my neck stood straight out. I was paralyzed. I could hear my heart thumping as I strained to hear something in the bush, all was quiet. I had a horrible uneasy feeling. I gathered myself together and started kicking around the fire, a small flame came alive and I quickly threw on some wood. In the firelight I could see that the boy had awoke and was shocked to see his wide open eyes staring at me. "What's wrong?" he asked. "Nothing, go climb in the tent." I lied. He crawled into the tent but even in the light of fire I couldn't shake my wariness. Something was out there in the bush, and I could feel it was watching me.

I gathered up my light and flashed around camp. Nothing. Finally, I began to calm down and crawled in the tent with the boy. Then again, like clockwork, I awoke completely tense. This time I couldn't shake the feeling at all. I finally instructed the boy to wake up and go get in the truck. I packed up all of camp and drove around to the other side of the lake and slept with him in the truck. At dawn I got up and looked across the lake where we were camped earlier, and another uneasy feeling came over me. I decided it was time to go home. I don't know what was out there, or what was going on over there, but I know my instincts, and something was bad wrong with that place. Whatever it was, I will leave it to your imagination, it creeps me out to this day thinking about that night. :eek:

See less See more
#6,494 ·
Back in the day, when I was in college, me and the oldest took off to a lake in the wilds of glacier country. I have extensive backcountry exposure, even did a stint as a big game guide in a remote backcountry camp. On this day we enjoyed the fishing and settled in for the night. I pulled out my pan and stoked up a nice fire. It was clear and cool as the sun faded into the western slopes. We cooked up some fresh rainbows with garlic and butter and filled our stomachs. I leaned back against the cooler after pulling out a refreshing beverage. The boy was soon asleep by the fire as it had been a busy day. I sipped my beer and watched the moon light bouncing off the little waves in the lake. There was still a light glow on the western horizon where the sun had gone down and I could see the outline of the mountain peaks towering over the little lake. I slowly faded off to sleep with the sound of the lake waves gently lapping on the rocks. I awoke with a start. The fire was out, the latern was out too. The moon was gone and it was pitch black. Something was wrong. The hair on the back of my neck stood straight out. I was paralyzed. I could hear my heart thumping as I strained to hear something in the bush, all was quiet. I had a horrible uneasy feeling. I gathered myself togather and started kicking around the fire, a small flame came alive and I quickly threw on some wood. In the firelight I could see that the boy had awoke and was shocked to see his wide open eyes staring at me. "Whats wrong?" he asked. "Nothing, go climb in the tent." I lied. He crawled into the tent but even in the light of fire I couldn't shake my waryness. Something was out there in the bush, and I could feel it was watching me. I gathered up my light and flashed around camp. Nothing. Finally, I began to calm down and crawled in the tent with the boy. Then again, like clockwork, I awoke completely tense. This time I couldn't shake the feeling at all. I finally instructed the boy to wake up and go get in the truck. I packed up all of camp and drove around to the other side of the lake and slept with him in the truck. At dawn I got up and looked across the lake where we were camped earlier, and another uneasy feeling came over me. I decided it was time to go home. I don't know what was out there, or what was going on over there, but I know my instincts, and something was bad wrong with that place. Whatever it was, I will leave it to your imagination, it creeps me out to this day thinking about that night.:eek:
Good story MT Patriot even though I have none to share with you and the others. I have been creeped out in the house before though but not outdoors.....so far.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had that feeling once too. it turned out to be my Ex wife.

Seriously though, I was at starved rock training on top of devil's nose when i had the same feeling, but in broad daylight. I actually climbed down, and then ran directly into my most recent ex girlfriend's last husband, and her Son. Her and I had broken up, and I never got to say good bye to the little guy. I don't know how, or why we ended up in the exact same spot, at the exact same time, 2 hours from home, but we did, and i got to say good bye to him.

If I had not had such an intense feeling that i HAD to get of Devil's nose and climb down, exactly when i did, I never would have run into him like that. A few seconds either way, and the meeting would never have happened.

#5,959 ·
I had that feeling once too. it turned out to be my Ex wife.

Seriously though, I was at starved rock training on top of devil's nose when i had the same feeling, but in broad daylight. I actually climbed down, and then ran directly into my most recent ex girlfreind's last husband, and her Son. Her and I had broken up, and I never got to say good bye to the little guy. I don't know how, or why we ended up in the exact same spot, at the exact same time, 2 hours from home, but we did, and i got to say good bye to him.

If I had not had such an intense feeling that i HAD to get of Devil's nose and climb down, exactly when i did, I never would have run into him like that. A few seconds either way, and the meeting would never have happened.
haha...great story. everyone needs to have awareness of any wilderness area that has the name 'devil' in it....just sayin'......there are so many places with that name that has been derived from native american names for certain places that have a certain 'energy' to it. Just be careful...ok?

#6 · (Edited)
We cooked up some fresh rainbows with garlic and butter and filled our stomachs. :
Makes me homesick thinking about fresh Rainbows. A friend and I had a similar experience, we had the foresite to head out and to this day we are still not sure of what spooked us.

We both grew up spending all our free time camping/fishing.

Needless to say we never told anyone as we were to macho to admit the "things go bump in the dark" wether or not we want to accept it.:eek:

#9 ·
I was night hiking about a month ago. I came across a bend in the trail, and all I hear is like a big "WHOOSH!" running from the trail into the bushes. It had my heart pounding, since I couldn't really see it at all it was so quick. I was hiking by moonlight.

Probably just a a giant cougar, or a rabbit. I'll never know until I ask the Almighty.

#4,496 ·
I was reading these stories from the beginning. I had the same thing happen to me in Texas during the day. I and a friend were patterning a shotgun. We were in a field with heavy dried grass that was approximately 2.5 feet tall. Something jumped up and blew past us at an incredible rate of speed. It left a wake in the grass that was still visible afterwards. I saw nothing but the grass parting. The guy I was with said it was a fox. It startled me just like when pheasants jump up in a field.

#12 ·
MT Patriot:
I have had feelings like that before in the wilderness. I think it happens when a predator is in the vicinity.
Most people, living in urban areas, may no longer have, or may no longer pay attention to, that feeling you get when every cell in your body is screaming "DANGER!". We *evolved* ourselves out of it.
Good that you paid attention and heeded it.

#49 ·
I ignored my instinct ones something in my head said no don’t go into that field behind the bush and I was like I’m going there to see if I can see the red fox that has a den over there with the cubs.. So I walk around and sure enough there was a mountain lion like 2 ft in front of me I was like o crap that thing could kill me with out even trying... i was 8 at the time it saw me I saw it I backed away looking at it slowly and went back inside.. Apparently that was a young cat that came down from the mountain and ended up attacking on of the neighbors in the garden and his wife ended up shooting it...

The way I look at it now if I feel that way and its happend to me even in the city something said I shouldnt walk down that side walk so I changed the side of the street I was walking on and half way down It a car crashed into a pole that was were I would of been if I was walking down the street i was like dam That could of been me

Trust your instincts even if they are wrong better safe then sorry

#13 ·
Ive had more then enough scary encounters in the woods. When i was out camping by lake erie i went fishing early in the morning thinking id go and see if i could catch a trout or something nice for breakfest. I was sitting on the little log i pulled up and i started to fish. 10 little perch n sunfish later ion about 6 or so i heard a loud crap about 20 feet behind me in the woods.I know it wasnt a bigfoot lol, it was a bear or something had to be because the cracks were big. I felt un easy so i took off about 300 feet down the shore of the litle lake. Again i started to fish and about 20 mins later a heard more crashing behind me come from the area i had left. So i took my litle catch and left. I came back about 8pm that night to try for fun. It was about 20 into sittin on the othr side of the bayfishing and i heard a crashing soundling like a charge threw the woods. I got the heck out of there and didnt go back fishing, good thing our 5 day camp out was over.

#1,276 ·
Ive had more then enough scary encounters in the woods. When i was out camping by lake erie i went fishing early in the morning thinking id go and see if i could catch a trout or something nice for breakfest. I was sitting on the little log i pulled up and i started to fish. 10 little perch n sunfish later ion about 6 or so i heard a loud crap about 20 feet behind me in the woods.I know it wasnt a bigfoot lol, it was a bear or something had to be because the cracks were big. I felt un easy so i took off about 300 feet down the shore of the litle lake. Again i started to fish and about 20 mins later a heard more crashing behind me come from the area i had left. So i took my litle catch and left. I came back about 8pm that night to try for fun. It was about 20 into sittin on the othr side of the bayfishing and i heard a crashing soundling like a charge threw the woods. I got the heck out of there and didnt go back fishing, good thing our 5 day camp out was over.
You heard a loud crap in the woods? LOL

Don't bears crap in the woods :D: Perhaps some do it loudly :D:

#15 ·
Last May my mom, my kids, and I went to a trail head about 10 miles outside of town. It is a very popular equestrian trail and has many little trails down the to river. We hiked down to the river and were there for awhile. On our way back up the trail something was wrong. All of a sudden it felt like my heart was going to jump out of my body, I got goosebumps on my arms, and I was panicked. I made everyone walk a little faster and right next to me. I looked around for something in the bushes, but couldn't see anything. Even though there were several people on horses at the trail head, I made an excuse to get in the car and leave ASAP. The next day there was a radio report that a large mountain lion was seen at the same trail later that day. It crossed the path of someone on horseback, so the sheriff was worried that it might be aggressive toward people. That was one of the few times my husband didn't come with us. He always carries a weapon and since then I won't venture on the trails outside of town without him. I am a big chicken, lol.

#1,845 ·
Here's a suggestion....

norcalmom: you made a couple of mistakes in this incident. You know North Cali is known for cougars, so as a first line of defense, you should have tightened up the group. Secondly, a woman should not have to feel like she has to have her hubby along to have a weapon! I suggest you get yourself a revolver (.357 would be nice, my wife loves mine and shoots it well) and learn to shoot it. Third, "speeding up" is the WRONG thing to do with a cougar!

To state the obvious: Cougars are Cats. Cats have an instinctual response to the flight of any animal, it triggers their 'predator/prey' response. Move together, slowly, and carry rocks, sticks or whatever other weapon. Make yourself look large and dangerous.

If anyone lives in an area where cougars live--and that includes MOST of the Western USA and now parts of the North East as well--and you get "that feeling"--stop, assess, think, assume there is a predator of some type, and move at a normal or even slow pace away, watching all sides for an ambush attack.

My friend: GET A GUN.

Even if it had been a human predator, a gun would help.

#16 ·
People that spend alot of time in the great outside get much more in touch with their baser instincts. There is something about being stalked that instinctively creeps you out. Alot of experienced hunters will say that they don't like looking or focusing on their quarry too hard for too long because it seems like the animal can sense it. I think that we all have sensory powers beyond what we can currently measure. With practice they can be sharpened, but in intense situations they seem to come alive.

Ever been stalked by a cougar? You will NEVER hear it, but somehow you will know that something is wrong. I have a close friend that was stalked by a wolf. He had been feeling creeped out all day, and knew exactly why when he backtracked and found the wolf tracks following his own. Same guy was stalked by a cougar when hunting coyotes (making rabbit distress calls is not exactly safe in big cat country.)

I have a client that regularly hunts bear in Montana. He says that there is one area that he always avoids because he always feels like he is being watched when he gets close. He says that it is a desperate and creepy feeling, one that is beyond being stalked by an animal. Bigfoot? Possible. Bear or other predator? Possible and very likely.

If you feel very creeped out when out in the deep backcountry (especially the northern Rockies) I would advise going with your instinct, and quickly. You are not the top of the food chain, and this is not your neighborhood.

MM

#323 ·
People that spend alot of time in the great outside get much more in touch with their baser instincts. There is something about being stalked that instinctively creeps you out. Alot of experienced hunters will say that they don't like looking or focusing on their quarry too hard for too long because it seems like the animal can sense it. I think that we all have sensory powers beyond what we can currently measure. With practice they can be sharpened, but in intense situations they seem to come alive.

If you feel very creeped out when out in the deep backcountry (especially the northern Rockies) I would advise going with your instinct, and quickly. You are not the top of the food chain, and this is not your neighborhood.

MM
Learned something new. I guess that may explain the creeped out feelings I have gotten once in a while when I have been alone in the woods. I do geocaching hikes solo sometimes and many of those are in WMA's. I sometimes get a weird feeling, although not very often. Not sure what predators are in my neck of the state, although I am sure there are some cougar and black bear.

Thanx.

#17 · (Edited)
Good story MT..

I have thought of writing a thread also about creepy or scary experiences in the wilderness.
But I am not the best of writers.

But I have to say that the more remote and unfamiliar the area the scarier it can be. The only time I felt lost was in the middle of a large wilderness area in remote Wyoming and walking for 2 hours without finding my way out. Finally did but was one of the few panicky experiences I have had in the wilderness. Another was when a terrible lightning and thunder storm caught me near a mtn top. And other lightning storms when in my tent.

I try not to hike after dark but have a few times.
Bears, mtn lions, owls and other night creatures are abundant after dark and I don't like to be in their way. I have heard huffing and grunting in the deep woods, which I think and hope was a bear. I also do not jog in the woods or areas where mtn lions are. I heard of a jogger in Colorado getting killed by a mtn lion while jogging.

One sort a scary thing is that I saw a large brown blur move off a large log in the deep forest. Well, it was on the edge of my mtn land where the national forest borders. I hoped it was a bear although the bears are supposed to be black but it could have been a rare cinnamon black bear.

Another thing that I have seen more than once is looking at a tree and a small branch and dead twigs move like someone plucked at them. I am sure someone can explain that?

I also refuse to watch the movie "The Blair Witch Project" since I live on my remote thickly forested mtn land from June to Nov. Maybe I will watch it whenever I get my underground cabin/bunker completely done.

I try not to think of bigfoot and If they exist hope they hang out in the NorthWest US. I have listened to the late night Art Bell radio show a few years ago and it was pretty scary when he played the howl of a bigfoot screaming, while I was laying in my tent in the middle of the deep dark forest.

#367 ·
Good story MT..

I also refuse to watch the movie "The Blair Witch Project" since I live on my remote thickly forested mtn land from June to Nov. Maybe I will watch it whenever I get my underground cabin/bunker completely done.

I try not to think of bigfoot and If they exist hope they hang out in the NorthWest US. I have listened to the late night Art Bell radio show a few years ago and it was pretty scary when he played the howl of a bigfoot screaming, while I was laying in my tent in the middle of the deep dark forest.
i agree, i do not watch horror movies at all because they make me wonder about all the terrible things that might be watching me.

both these events happened when i was 15 or 16.

i remember one time i was walking way out back of my parents property, about a mile from the house in an old abandoned pasture. i was on top of the hill and could see across the valley to the other side. the valley was small so the other end was only about 300-400 yards away. as i sat there watching the forest line a herd of deer came running out followed by a huge brown animal to me it looked like a brown bear, but may have been a large stray dog or something. but we do not have brown bear here in ohio. needless to say it scared the crap out of me and i high tailed it back home. i didn't go outside for about a week after that, lol

another time i was hiking in an old over grown pine tree nursery near the same area as my first story looking for deer antlers along a creek bed. i heard some comotion towards the top of the hill, and about 50 yards above me was a pack of coyote or wild/stray dogs. i ducked down and slowly made my way back to the house. thankfully i made it back safely.

And another time i was down by our camping area we had, usually bon fires every weekend during the summer. anyway, i was just sitting there enjoying the sun, it was about mid day and i heard a heavy foot step behind me and a huge grunt. the hairs stood up on my neck and i jumped up and turned around. thankfully it was just a couple of cattle that got loose from the nieghbors farm. LOL talk about scaring the crap out of you.

#18 ·
hadnt posted since i registered
once when i was about 14 i was deer hunting (alone)on an old log where i had hunted before with success but anyways it happened gradually all forest life ceased to exist no chipmunks, no squrrels, no birds, no sound but the wind blowing, oddly i dont even remember being cold(im sensitive to cold weather somewhat) but even stranger is the fact that i got sick setting on that log and stayed like that for the remainder of the day if i remember correctly, coincedence?i dont want to know

another time the similiar thing happened that id rather not go into(embarrasing)

#19 · (Edited)
Several years ago, I was visiting my family and they had gone out to a movie. I was home alone with the dog reading a book in bed. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched and the dog was restless and whining. My brother came in through the garage door on the other side of the house and I told him I thought someone was outside the window. He went out to investigate and scared off a guy who had been camped out under the window all night. When we looked the next morning there were at least 12 cig butts there. Ugh. It still freaks me out to be home alone. Guess that's why I have so many dogs.

Yeah, it's not the outdoors but it was still creepy.

I've camped lots of times and the scariest things I've encountered were always of the 2-legged variety. Guys who didn't understand that I wanted to be left alone to camp in peace mostly.

#21 ·
. There is something about being stalked that instinctively creeps you out. Alot of experienced hunters will say that they don't like looking or focusing on their quarry too hard for too long because it seems like the animal can sense it.
True enough after a fashion - and most hunters who've been at the game can look at an area and just 'know' there's game in there. Works both ways :)

If you've got a gut feeling, rarely if ever will you be disappointed that you listened to it.

#23 ·
Before I moved to MOntana,I lived in south Florida,when I was 17 years old,I ran off to the Everglades.I lived deep in the Big Cypress swamp.
I stayed in a old hunting shack my friend Junior and his dad and I help build.
After a long tiring day,hiking,and exploring and such.
I lay down after eating fish that I caught in my fish trap.
I was feeling really good just relaxing.
The sun was setting,starting to get dark.
I heard this great commotion,something big was moving towards the shack thru really heavy brush,this brush was thick,wasn't much of it, just 100 by 50 feet.
Why a animal would go thru it I don't know.I never tried too thick.
I got this awful feeling,that I didn't want to see what it was.
I started banging on pots and pans,as loud as I could.

Then silence,dead silence.
I listened ,I knew what ever It was,had to make sound even moving slowly thru there.
Never heard any thing more.
Could of been a deer or bear,but why I never heard anything more I've never know.
I still wonder about it.

#1,501 ·
That would spook me also but here is my answer to what it was. Not knowing the time of year but I'm going to lay some venison stew down that you had a buck in your front yard rubbing its antlers, trying to satisfy an itch. The reason you did not here it move away is because those animals have thousands of years of evolutionary practice of being mighty stealthy on the departure.

#24 ·
Wow, this thread has turned into someting way cool. I just got back from a little three hour night fishing venture with the boy. Caught three Bull trout, threw them back as they are on the ESA list. Came in and pulled up this thread, awsome stories. I got many more but I'm saving them, I want to hear all your creepy stuff. Great stories guys!!

#25 ·
Creepy stories, huh?

I swear I saw a ghost! We were camped in a field in amongst a old growth forrest. This field has history though. In the early 1900's it was a remote mineral water resort hotel. The hotel burned down in 30's. If you didn't know there was a hotel there, you would NEVER know. People took horse and buggy out to it.

I have camped here no less than 50 nights! SERIOUSLY! But one night I swear I saw a ghostly woman figure! She moved across the field at me. She stopped within a couple feet of me! I turned to move, and the "cold" feeling disapeared. And that was it. Nothing else. Just me standing there going WTF? Effin scarry!

Make of it what you want, but it's creepy to me!

#26 ·
The only thing i can think of happened years ago. This was back when it was ok to build permanent tree stands nailed into trees. I had scouted out a new area and settled on an area where an oak flat joined a big thick swamp. It was pretty open except one grove of head high palmetto's and brush that came from behind my stand and went into

the swamp. I was able to climb into a fork of an oak tree by climbing a small dogwood next to it. After hoisting up my wood and nailing up a very stable platform and seat about 15-20' up, i dumped out some corn and left. This was in the summer as i was hog hunting. It was two weeks before i made it back to hunt. Everything was fine as i

walked in before daylight and got settled in. I noticed the corn was gone and lots of fresh hog sign that i could see by my small light. After everything got quieted back down, as i sat in the dark, i kept having that feeling of being watched. Now i have hunted, camped, and grew up in the woods and am completely at home day or night in

the darkest deepest swamps, and never felt this feeling. I wasnt scared cause i didnt know to be. I just couldnt put my finger on it. The feeling never changed but i couldnt get used to it, i was just on edge i guessed. I never saw or heard any animals that morning that i can remember till i was climbing down about mid morning. I had lowered

my rifle, and was in the process of slithering from the oak to the little dogwood when i saw something out of the corner of my eye about the same time i heard it! I heard the crash and just BARELY caught sight of something running through the palmettos parallel to me. Now i say barely cause it looked like a huge, (man high), brown dog. Honestly i

thought buffalo instantly! How crazy is that?? It crashed through the thicket and i heard it hit water. Sounded like a heard of hogs ploughing thru! I wrote it off as a deer that jumped and i me glimseing it, made it look different. Well i thought about that sight and the feeling i had had all morning, as i drove back home to do a little work before hunting

again that evening. Around 2 or so that afternoon i was again walking back into that stand still thinking about the oddness of the morning. It was only a 1/4 mile or so walk and i was there and settled in quick enough. Again, everything was oddly quiet. I had been sitting maybe an hour or so when i heard the faint splash of hogs i assumed,

across the thicket in the swamp. As it got louder, instead of that excited, eager feeling you would normally get, i was getting nervous. It was so wierd cause i had never felt that way before. Well what i thought were a bunch of hogs turned out to be one single critter. When it was within a hundred yards, i could hear it so plain and clear. Whatever

it was, was in no hurry and stayed out of sight on my blind side across the thicket. I had scouted all this out and i knew the water that it was in was waist deep on me and this thing was picking its feet or legs clear of the water as it walked. I could hear

the "splash, drip...drip...drip...splash" as it put one foot in front of the other real slow like it was trying to be quiet. I thought it might be another person till i thought about how deep that water was. I would never point a gun at a noise or anything i wasnt

planning to kill dead, but as that noise got louder and got to the edge of the thicket, I was looking down the barrel! Still on safe and finger off the trigger but still, you gotta know me to know how serious this must have been. I was actually shakeing. Well it got to the edge of the water with about 40 yards of thicket before the open ground

between us. It crashed about 10 or 15 yards and then went quiet. Deathly quiet. no sound, no frogs, no crickets, no birds, no nothing. I might have imagined it but i thought i could hear something every now and then like it was slippin in on me. It was getting dark by then and to say i was skaken would be an understatement. I never saw or heard

anything else that evening but i walked out backwards right before dark! I was so put off by it, i had forgotten my bag (fanny pack today) hanging on a nail in the stand. I realized that while i was driving home. I told my grand daddy about it that night and he of course made fun of me. If all that wasnt bad enough, here is the crazy part most

folks dont believe. It was two days later before i got the nerve up to go back after my bag. I carried a shotgun this time as i felt more secure with it though i doubt i could have hit anything at this point. It was an old rabbit ear and i kept my thumb on the hammer the whole walk in. And of course i went in in mid day! I kept my eyes peeled as i

slipped in toward my stand. Like i said it was pretty open except the thicket which would be on the other side of my stand from where i was comeing in. I got about 35 yards or so from my stand and glanced up. It was gone! I dont remember seeing it piled on the ground below, but it was not in the tree. I could see white all around where it

was like the bark had been scratched and clawed all to hell! And my bag was still hanging on that nail! I never looked back and to this day, i have not been back to that swamp. A few years after my little incident, it was all clear cut and part of that swamp was filled in. There are houses there now. I have told a few people about it, but i

usually have to drink a few to talk about it(like now :) ). Only one person has believed me but he wont tell me why. He also hunted the general area and i think he might have had a run in with something as well. Not really asking anyone to believe this, just thought i would tell it. I have "heard" of plenty more strange things around these parts but i'll save them for another day. Sorry to be so long winded but you ask for it...lol

#27 ·
I believe you. I would have said it was a bear, but the part where you said it picked up its feet and completely cleared the deep water kind of puts that idea to rest. It is my belief that there are species out there that are so rare that they have never been documented, such as sasquatch (The beast you encountered being another possible species). Laugh all you guys want, but with everything I have read on the subject, I believe the species known as sasquatch does indeed exist, albiet in very small numbers. For instance, there are stories and legends about sasquatch-like creatures in North America going back many hundreds of years, before the Europeans even discovered this continent.

#31 · (Edited)
those gut fellings of something being wrong, being watched, or some unseen danger always freak me out. but i did have a strong sence to get the hell out dodge one day while sitting by little river deciding on fishing or not. i had just got my pack off and found a spot to sit when i had that odd felling of being watched from behind.
i got up and moved down stream about 400 yards to a spot where there was a larger clearing between the river and the taller brush and trees. i did not see or hear anything while walking, only some old deer tracks in some dried mud, but when i got to looking at a spot to sit for awhile i got that feeling again. i could see pretty good all around me (about 100 to 175 yards) and just thought that i being silly.

i ate some of my food that i brought and watched the area around me as i tried to figure out which lure to use. for awhile the feeling went away. i fished for about an hour (no luck) and i needed to go pee, so i stood up and walked back into the bush to take care of business. while standing there, that felling came back stronger than before. all i could hear was my **** hitting the ground. no birds, no wind, no little critters of any kind. i finished and walked back to my spot. as i got there i bent down to pick up my pole, and i heard my dads voice call my name out loud and clear, using a tone of voice that meant i was to do what he told me too, do it now and ask no questions.

my dad had passed away 3 years before.

like others have said, instantly every cell of my body was all keyed up. the area i was in is known to have bears, mountain lions, and wolves were just starting to make a come back, (s. e. washington ). but i had not seen any sign or heard from anyone else that they had been in that area for awhile.

i grabbed my stuff and packed my bag as quick as i could, this time i took my s&w 686p out of my pack that i brought as extra weight in the pack and for snakes and put it on my hip. normally i don't like to open carry like this.

as i put my pack on, that feeling of danger got even stronger. i started back to my truck the way i came in and froze solid after a few steps. i could not go back the way i came in. i stood there and listened and watched for about 10 minutes and heard nothing. the river was running slow, so it hardly made a sound. i looked all around me and every time i looked back up the trail i came in on i got more and more nervous. the trail looped around back to my truck, but it was about a 2 mile walk versus a 3/4 mile walk the way i came in.

so i went the long way back and when i got to my truck, something had been there and scratched it up pretty good on the drivers side and tail gate. i don't have a clue what it could have been because i was in a designated parking spot that had just been regravled. there were scuff marks but i could not find anything that looked like a print from a man or animal. that feeling of danger did not go away untill i had driven up to the top of the ridge and was just about back on to pavement.

when i did get to the t in road, there was a game warden and a sheriff deputy parked and talking there. they were kinda blocking the road as i pulled up and they got out and walked over to my truck to talk with me. the conversation started normally, i told them i was fishing with no luck down at the river, so i decided to come back and when i mentioned my truck had gotten all scratched up while parked, they got quiet, lost their smiles, and looked at each other. they asked what time i parked and which way i went up or down river and if i noticed anything around the parking lot. i said i saw some scuff in the gravel but nothing else. i did not say anything about weird feelings. again they looked at each other and said ok have a nice day and went and moved their trucks off the road.
this all happened between about 10 am to 3:30 pm. in late may of 2005. i never went back as i moved to spokane at the end of june. i would have just thought i was being paranoind being out there by myself. but the way those 2 cops acted made everything else feel even stranger. i would like to go back someday. but i'm gunna take a buddy along. and maybe my shotgun.

#398 ·
LOL. Same here. I thought something was coming off the middle of the 30 acre hill property to eat me as I hiked up. Turns out there were ~20 head of wild turkey that runs all the property around that hill. I had walked up on them and most ran off while about 5 of them flew across the little valley to the other side of the hill. damn things are loud when they fly. that was the first time I ever saw a turkey fly.. .

#33 ·
I've never had anything like this in woods or outside but I know exactly what you're talking about . I had it in an office building I worked nightshift in. One floor, one part. Strongest feeling of eyes right on the back of your neck and imminent threat. I believe in ghosts (trainee medium LOL so I cant deny they exist) but I found it hard to stop shaking. I stalked through there as slow as I could with my head high and mentally told "it" to sod off and let me get on with my work.
But for you people who are in America, where there are large predators in the wilds, then that's a lot more serious. because nobody ever got mauled to death by a ghost ! :)
Like somebody already said, this is a survival instinct mankind was born with and we need to listen to it.