Survivalist Forum banner

Basic Prep staple in imminent of extinction, better get Twinkies while you can

27K views 269 replies 134 participants last post by  9111315 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This post has been deleted
#10 ·
#12 ·
You gotta' love them unions.
Hostess will simply sell the trademark and then they will be made in China and imported.

Al

#17 ·
I like unions. I think that, in good times, they need to fight to make sure the little guy is getting his fair share as the rising tide lifts all ships.

But in times like this, it seems you'd take it all in stride, work hard, and while you'd still fight for your rights, you'd expect some cuts and not take your meal ticket to the brink of bankruptcy. That doesn't do you any good.

#18 ·
Little Debbie snack cakes are a lot cheaper than hostess, I mean what else can you buy like that for around $0.25 each and get a dessert?

Sorry to hear about Hostess as most of us that are over 40 slobbered over them every time we were at a gas station or super market from ages 4 til today!

Yep, give me the snowballs, twinkies, dingdongs, and my all time favorite "Suzy Q Oh baby I love you".

Maybe the union folks will go to work for some "healthy food" places and package apple and orange slices and the like...Oh wait the Mexicans have that market cornered!

So a "fire sale" on Hostess stuff may be coming up...anyone know the shelf life of their products...would be cool to burn a $100 bill on a prep of say 500 individual snacks....but then again I'd put on 20lbs by sneakin' into my preps a few times a day.

#20 ·
That is really too bad. I'm old and have plenty of good memories eating twinkies, ding dongs, in front of the TV after school.

Seems like the twinkies that are now sold are smaller than the ones in the 70's? Maybe I got bigger too. :) OTH, I noticed the hershey kisses don't seem to be the same size anymore either...

#22 ·
Typical union thuggery...they will cut their nose off to spite their face.

I wonder how many of those striking workers do not want to strike but are forced to by their union? That union will certainly show the man buy sticking by their guns, even as their members are in the unemployment line in the worst recession in 80 years.

#26 ·
''Many union leaders and workers have been holding out hope that some other company would step in to buy Hostess and operate the bakeries, but Hostess has said that is not a possibility.''

''Hostess management said that if enough striking workers did not return to work by 5 p.m. EST (2200 GMT) the next day, the company would on Friday ask U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Robert Drain in White Plains, New York, who oversees its Chapter 11 reorganization, for permission to shut down and sell assets.

''Hostess said if it wins permission to liquidate, it will begin to close all operations as soon as November 20, two days before Thanksgiving, and fire all plant workers except those needed to prepare its facilities for sale.

Earlier this week, Hostess said the strike forced it to permanently close three of its 36 bakeries, costing 627 jobs.

The Irving, Texas-based company filed for protection from creditors on January 11, its second bankruptcy filing in less than three years. It operates 565 distribution centers and 570 bakery outlet stores, as well as the 33 bakeries. Hostess brands include Wonder, Nature's Pride, Dolly Madison, Drake's, Butternut, Home Pride and Merita. The company has roughly 17,780 employees.''

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...vYC4Aw&usg=AFQjCNELtE5zLVcGWmOOgFgd7SG6YoqurQ

#27 ·
Kind of stupid no jobs out there and layoff every where. And you would losse your job than take a pay cut what a dollar an hr when you make 20 an hr.
If Hossest hadnt went thru bankruptcy chapter 11. i would say ok maybe they are just trying to make more profit But all of them knew the company was not trying to BS them.
Maybe I think differant but if they ask me look we are going to have to close will you take a small cut and the chance that we can pull our selfs out of this . And have a job for maybe 6 months or more. or say no and we will close and your jobless.
I would for sure say yes. the unions know better they see how manny people are laided off and how manny places are closeing. Or are they just that stupid or just dont give a dam about the people they are to represent.

#28 ·
Hostess 1 union zero!!!

Hostess told the union workers that if they strike, they will shut down the factories....they strike 3 factories go down....union employees are ****ed.......well, too bad you tried to soak hostess...they are in bk already....way to try and save your jobs......union yes!!!! Bone heads...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.