Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My bug out vehicle is a boat. RUN 4 IT Vehicles & Transportation 54 03-07-2017 09:48 AM
What'd be a fair price? swamp frog Rifle Forum 12 01-24-2017 08:20 AM

Old 03-17-2017, 06:23 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 21,594 Times in 6,826 Posts
Default Fair Price for an Older Ranger Bass Boat

Advertise Here

My neighbor is about to moving out of state and would like to sell his old bass boat for $4k.
The boat is a Ranger 373V, with a 150 hp Evinrude. I believe it is a late 1980s model.
Specs for this model is 18 ft long, 76" wide, 1200 lbs dry wt, hull is fiberglass.
I looked over the hull for visible cracks (none), and asked him to charge the batteries, and start the motor.
Seats are is in good shape. It has a 30 yrs old electronics and an older trolling motor.

I am looking for a fishing boat suited to some of the larger lakes and rivers in my area.

Questions, is an older Glass boat worth buying, what areas should I examine?
Assuming no cracks, the engine runs smooth and the seal on the lower unit is alright, what is a fair price?
Old 03-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Target Shooter

Ask him what marine shop services the boat and motor and ask him for written permission to view it's service record. That will tell you how well it was maintained and if any major problems. Also ask about the service record of the trailer. While there you can get an idea of prices of boats in your area.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:48 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 38,178 Times in 12,544 Posts

Basically, you are buying an engine.

The big thing that kills an engine is how much fouling has occurred in the cooling passages, and has the lower unit been corroded or damaged by hitting stuff.

I would try to see if it overheats under load in warm water. Check that a very good stream is coming out of the telltale. Check the condition of the zinc under the cavitation plate. Is the lower unit corroded? And check the condition of the hydraulic motor tilt cylinder.

If the engine starts, runs smooth, doesn't overheat, etc, then 4K is a good deal.
I wouldn't worry about the trailer much. Do the wheels turn? Are the tires OK?

And the boat hull should be pretty obvious what you are looking at. If it isn't cracked up or has bad boat pox on the bottom, life should be good.

I would ask about the routine stuff on the motor.
When was the last replacement of:
thermostat and water pump impeller?
Zincs?
Fuel pump?
Oil pump? (assuming a 2 stroke oil injected motor).
Overheat history. (Does it still have paint or is it burnt off?)
Fuel primer bulbs and hoses only last a year or 2. Check to see if the bulb is flexible.

WHere does he buy engine parts and service? Does he have any spares for the engine or are parts readily available?

I had a Tohatsu and had to special order everything from Japan. Not cheap. I will need to replace my motor if I want to use my boat again.

Large 2 strokes use a LOT of fuel. For inland fishing I would want something smaller like 20-40 HP.
My 50 hp 2 stroke got 2.5 miles to the gallon. Also 2 strokes HATE to idle. Full bore they are amazing. Idling, they carbon up and quit. Or quit due to small fuel system air leaks. Note that when docking, you are basically wanting the engine to run smoothly near idle speed. If the engine sputters and quits, you hit the dock HARD.

115 HP on a small surface skimming fishing boat will be a rocket ship.

Good grief the spell checker on this site is horrendous.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:

Old 03-18-2017, 07:29 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 29,730 Times in 7,600 Posts

It should be a really good fishing boat provided it's been cared for.

Sometimes, you'll need the carbs rebuilt more because of not running than running. The 150 has 3 of them.

You need to check/replace the water pump impellor, they're made out of rubber and do wear but aren't all that hard to replace and fairly inexpensive

Also look for cracks around the transom, it's not uncommon for the outer fiberglass layer to crack but how deep are the cracks?

Look for leaks around the hydraulics of the tilt/trim and/or if it has a hydraulic jack plate. This can be a simple o-ring replacement but getting into it can be extreme, you'll also need the right size spanner wrench to get into these.

Ranger is a quality boat. Make sure he has title to both boat and motor but it's registered in the state as one item

If it's it good condition, I'd say its a fair deal. Bass fishing boats can get real pricey. I'd ask if it's been run in salt water but guessing you're in Oklahoma, it probably hasn't.

Be prepared to spend some money. Things go wrong and require upkeep also for the goodies you'll want.

Do yourself a favor and get some ear muffs for the motor. Start and run it before you get to the ramp or in the lake.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 07:52 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 38,178 Times in 12,544 Posts

Oklahoma has separate registration for the motor.
No reg. for the trailer.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 21,594 Times in 6,826 Posts

Thanks all. I'm a retired guy that used to fish out of small aluminum rental boats.
I've never owned or used a boat with 50hp, let alone 150hp.

I wanted a small fishing boat to fish local lakes.
Something easy to Handel and easy to maintain.

I'll keep looking.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Pencil 5, AUTOCAD 0

Thanked 13,506 Times in 2,932 Posts

Hick, an 18 ' Lund with a 25hp outboard will do everything you want and then some..
I avoid large outboards and steering wheels and throttle cables because I want
something that is easy to fix, and is economical to run... I have a Lund SSV 18
with an Evinrude 9hp on it, and it is excellent... I have 24 boats here, and at least
20 outboards from 5 to 60hp, so I can switch up to a 20 or 25hp when I need it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toobboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Sold a 1989 Ranger 360v with 150 Merc black max on it last year new carpet and new seats for 4500.
The Following User Says Thank You to flinter45 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Thanks all. I'm a retired guy that used to fish out of small aluminum rental boats.
I've never owned or used a boat with 50hp, let alone 150hp.

I wanted a small fishing boat to fish local lakes.
Something easy to Handel and easy to maintain.

I'll keep looking.
That's what I would do too..
The Following User Says Thank You to Undercover For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 07:09 PM

NADA has a marine price guide online, allows motor and boat entry separate. I buy/sell/repair boats for a living and its what I use. Accessories and repairs don't count for near ANYTHING, unless something is exactly what you want. IE.. I dont care if you just put a shiny Fishfinder and new springs on it. Book is book, just like cars.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warrior_22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 11:06 PM

I bought a small bass boat off craigslist in OKC for $300. 1989 thunderbolt with a 70 hp nissan. It has been alot of fun for us. I got lucky with the motor. Replaced the impeller for $20 and then about $600 replacing seat vinyl and carpet and misc. No fiberglass repairs, but I am watching the transom like a hawk. If the seats and carpet are good I would tighten up the transom motor mount bolts to see if the fiberglass starts to crater around the bolts. If the transom has some rot you will be able to tell when you tighten the bolts. If you want to fish Carl Blackwell in mine to see how you would like a bigger boat let me know. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to XJCountry For This Useful Post: