Bill O'Reilly Forced Out at Fox - Page 15 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fox gets rid of Shepard Smith ke4hzc General Discussion 62 Yesterday 01:17 PM
Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 182 04-23-2017 09:48 AM
Fox suspends Napolitano? partndn General Discussion 68 03-29-2017 10:51 AM
Trump Signs Bill Protecting Rights Of SSA Recipients AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-01-2017 09:30 AM
MN House Approves Bill Charging Protesters for Law Enforcement Costs Revelations 8 General Discussion 22 02-10-2017 09:11 AM

View Poll Results: Were do you get some of your new from
CNN 6 4.17%
MSNBC 6 4.17%
FOXNEWS 69 47.92%
Internet 107 74.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Originalist

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
OJ was not found "guilty" in civil court. He was found liable for damages in the wrongful deaths of two people.
Who said he was?

You've now sunk to arguing word misuse instead of providing any sort of substantive argument. What was said is that it takes it into account. While guilt and innocence are specific findings within a criminal court proceeding, they are also generic words referring to someone being responsible or not for something. If my daughter is guilty of taking cookies out of the pantry, it doesn't mean that she was being held criminally responsible for it.

In a civil wrongful death claim you must prove, with a preponderance of evidence, that a person has liability for the wrongful or negligent act. While that isn't "guilty" in a criminal sense, it equates to guilt in the generic sense.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:29 PM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 16,243 Times in 7,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMinuteMan View Post
You've now sunk to arguing word misuse instead of providing any sort of substantive argument. What was said is that it takes it into account.
If you're gonna get picky about it, I never suggested that civil courts don't take guilt or innocence into account, just that they don't determine it.

On five different occasions, Mr. O'Reilley and his employer chose NOT to test their case in civil court after he was accused of sexual harassment, even though the standard of proof was just a preponderance of the evidence. Some have said that was just to avoid the time and expense of a trial. Maybe an "innocent" defendant does that once or twice, but at trial #5, most "innocent" folks would figure out that their strategy is not working.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 33,790 Times in 11,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintnSteel View Post
I can no more prove he did than you can prove he didn't.

But there are multiple witnesses who have made statements under oath. There is at least one audio tape which was sealed as a condition of a settlement.

And Fox has paid a gazillion in settlements to keep it all out of court.

Only a fanboy would deny that any of that matters.
Your right, you can't.

And this country is based on the principal that I don't have to.
(Drops mike.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:

Old 04-23-2017, 06:07 PM
Survivor

Quote:
No...?

Mr. O'Reilley and his employer decided to settle five previous sexual harassment claims by writing big checks rather than defending his actions. At worst that suggests Mr. O'Reilly's actions were indefensible. At best it encourages folks to make false accusations. It would seem that after the second or third settlement, the prudent move would be to defend Mr. O'Reilly to discourage frivolous suits, IF they were frivolous.

Would you cite your evidence for this conclusion?

Before I get to what it suggests let me tell you a story:

A few years ago I parked at a hotel, and (because I was very tired and hurting) I parked in a handy capped spot.
I am, and have Disabled Vet plates on my car, but I usually do not use them unless I need to.
I needed to.

That night I was ticketed for parking in the spot without a handy capped plate.
That ****ed me off, and (I was there a second night) I left a note on my dash calling the officer an idiot, and explaining in small words that a DV plate WAS a disabled plate.
I did not receive a second ticket.

I called the PD trying to have it cancled by a simple Che k of my lisense.
They required me to show up for court or pay the ticket.

I showed up, parked, took the plate off my truck and when it was my turn to speak to the DA did not say one word, just laid my plate on his desk.
I was out of there 3 min later. (No charge)

But it STILL cost me over $50 in gas, $12 parking etc.... and a lost day.

They get you, coming and going, and it chaps my ass.

In THIS instance, we have a loudmouthed "TV personality" who lives on raitings.

And even a "speedy trial" would drag on, and in, while he suffers from bad publicity.
A case of the trial being the punishment.... no matter his guilt or lack thereof.

That settles his motovation. (Or like I said the company he is under contract to... who likely didn't give him a choice.)

Now let's look at them:
Like I said, I don't watch the man (or much of anything, I have no TV at all and when I occasionally sit down to watch a DVD on the computer I'll usually end up reading instead)
But I've read about this on a prior thread.
As I recall, all or most of these women either failed, or brought these alagations after they topped out. (And blamed him for not getting higher) while I ABSOLUTE AGREE this is possible in (Insert generic setting here).... NONE OF THEM chose to punish him.
They all "took the money and ran."

The silence is deafeing....
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 06:29 PM
Originalist

Quote:
If you're gonna get picky about it, I never suggested that civil courts don't take guilt or innocence into account, just that they don't determine it.

As I've stated, to award damages, the judge or jury must decide (synonym with determine) that the preponderance of the evidence proves that the party was liable (synonym with guilty [ambiguous]), or blameless (synonym with innocent [ambiguous]).

I also don't recall ever saying you suggested that innocence or guilt was not considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (meaning my post is likely full of poor typing and autocorrects using wrong words)
Old 04-23-2017, 08:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,782 Times in 680 Posts

Lets face it, the guy likes women. Is that so unusual.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,011 Times in 454 Posts

In the next 2 - 3 years we are going to see a whole new Fox News, as the two sons gain control of the company most if not all the conservative talking heads at Fox will be gone. Hannity has to know what his future is and it ain't Fox. The two Murdoch boys are liberal in everything they do, a conservative Fox doesn't sit well with them.

Rumor has it O' Reilly set to buy into OAN which if true can make that small network into a player. Also Trump has invited several conservative small news sites to the White House, yes OAN is one of them.

I'M betting that as Fox News turn more liberal you'll see OAN grow by leaps and bounds as the replacement to Fox News. Bad thing is Dish Network doesn't carry the channel but Direct TV does. May have to switch.

I've never been a big O'Reilly fan but I can easily switch off Fox News for something a little more Fair and Balanced...

What good conservative sites are out there now?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyrone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 09:52 PM
Gun Clinging "Deplorable"

Thanked 45,901 Times in 16,328 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz View Post
I honestly don't judge the guy. I have made bad choices in life.

I am sad to see him end his career at Fox like this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/b...legations.html
I wasn't O'Reilly's biggest fan. Like Trump, I considered him a bit of a blow-hard. However, I did watch his show fairly often and I'm sort of sad to see him go. I'm quite disappointed at Fox News and haven't watched since they allowed a Femi-Nazi's unsubstantiated accusations to ruin a man's career.

If O'Reilly hasn't been convicted of a crime then he's "innocent until proven guilty." I suppose he has enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life so I don't feel too badly. The real criminal (in my opinion) is FOX News. They fell prey to the tainted ideals of the politically correct. I won't miss FOX. They're nothing but pretend conservatives anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Your right, you can't.

And this country is based on the principal that I don't have to.
(Drops mike.)
Seriously? That's your comeback? Is that how you lead your life? If you didn't see it it didn't happen? Totally unable to parse witness accounts or evidence? Blinded by hero worship or ideology?

I'm under no obligation to provide you with anything. The info is in the public. It's obvious you have an inability to objectively evaluate it. And that's ok. We can't all have critical thinking skills. But the world would be a better place if we could.

Glad you dropped the mic. No one wants to listen to drivel.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,413 Times in 1,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
In the next 2 - 3 years we are going to see a whole new Fox News, as the two sons gain control of the company most if not all the conservative talking heads at Fox will be gone. Hannity has to know what his future is and it ain't Fox. The two Murdoch boys are liberal in everything they do, a conservative Fox doesn't sit well with them.

Rumor has it O' Reilly set to buy into OAN which if true can make that small network into a player. Also Trump has invited several conservative small news sites to the White House, yes OAN is one of them.

I'M betting that as Fox News turn more liberal you'll see OAN grow by leaps and bounds as the replacement to Fox News. Bad thing is Dish Network doesn't carry the channel but Direct TV does. May have to switch.

I've never been a big O'Reilly fan but I can easily switch off Fox News for something a little more Fair and Balanced...

What good conservative sites are out there now?
^^^^Not so sure about this.

Why would FOX change when they have 50% of the voting public agreeable towards their programming/leanings.

If Fox goes left they have to compete with CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC and CBS.

They have their niche and will continue to make money from it.

This O'Reilly BS/allegations/accusations is about destroying the things that influence 50% of the voting public.
Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintnSteel View Post
Seriously? That's your comeback? Is that how you lead your life? If you didn't see it it didn't happen? Totally unable to parse witness accounts or evidence? Blinded by hero worship or ideology?

I'm under no obligation to provide you with anything. The info is in the public. It's obvious you have an inability to objectively evaluate it. And that's ok. We can't all have critical thinking skills. But the world would be a better place if we could.

Glad you dropped the mic. No one wants to listen to drivel.

ROTFLOL!!!

YOUR "FAILURE to comeback" is to act like a MAJOR cornerstone of our legal system: "Inniocent until proven guilty" is... what?
Absurd, unreasonable.... ?

IF you live in the US:
YOU lead your life that way!!!!
As do 300 million other people....

Is it possible he did it:
Yep
Inniocent until proven guilty in the US:
Yep
This the US:
Yep.

Otherwise, I say your a murderer.... prove your not!
Hillery is a child molester.... and I don't have to prove it!
Lol... this is FUN! .... I see why you want to do it!

You'll note that I've already commented on how the accusers FAILED to prove their case. (They aren't even pursuing it... it's dead.)

Just like your failure here. Drivel indeed!
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
ROTFLOL!!!

YOUR "FAILURE to comeback" is to act like a MAJOR cornerstone of our legal system: "Inniocent until proven guilty" is... what?
Absurd, unreasonable.... ?

IF you live in the US:
YOU lead your life that way!!!!
As do 300 million other people....

Is it possible he did it:
Yep
Inniocent until proven guilty in the US:
Yep
This the US:
Yep.

Otherwise, I say your a murderer.... prove your not!
Hillery is a child molester.... and I don't have to prove it!
Lol... this is FUN! .... I see why you want to do it!

You'll note that I've already commented on how the accusers FAILED to prove their case. (They aren't even pursuing it... it's dead.)

Just like your failure here. Drivel indeed!
It's not a criminal case. It's a civil one. One that Fox paid millions and millions of dollars so it would never see the light of day in a courtroom. There is no finding of guilt or, as you say, "Inniocent". There is only a question of whether the defendant is liable and if so to what degree.

Why do people settle cases? Often it's less expensive so it's a financial decision. Forbes magazine is reporting the costs of settling the cases at $13 million, of which O'Reilly himself paid $10 million. Fox gave O'Reilly $25 million in severance to go away. There is no way to argue that settling was cheaper than taking it to court and winning. Obviously, they didn't think they could win and made the best deal they could, including getting the audio tape sealed and sparing their network all the embarrassment.

My comments in this thread have been regarding my opinion that O'Reilly's reported behavior is disgusting and wrong. We should all be able to admit that. Those who can't twist it into a discussion of politics or their poorly informed understanding of the legal system.

I've enjoyed filling you in and even reading your posts. But it's kinda like watching a monkey smoking a cigarette. Nothing of real value but the ridiculousness makes it hard to look away.

Sorry buddy. I'm off to more productive threads.
Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM
Originalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Robert View Post

Why would FOX change when they have 50% of the voting public agreeable towards their programming/leanings.

This O'Reilly BS/allegations/accusations is about destroying the things that influence 50% of the voting public.

Why would CNN, ESPN and MSNBC continue their content model when they are hemorrhaging viewership? Because their agenda is more important to them than anything. Fox will certainly not make a big announcement that they have thrown out conservatism, it will be an incremental move, continuing to parrot the "fair and balanced" tag line and while slowly shifting. Opportunities like this with O'Reilly are really great for them because it allows them to get rid of right leaning content under the umbrella of doing the noble deed of eliminating sexism. They will eventually eliminate hardliner discussion of immigration under the guise of eliminating racism, then diversity, then... and then... and then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (meaning my post is likely full of poor typing and autocorrects using wrong words)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoMinuteMan For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 11:55 AM
Originalist

Default Bill O'Reilly Forced Out at Fox

You can see that the "vast left wing conspiracy" hypothesis is beginnings to take shape.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...-this-country/

As I mentioned above, regardless of Mr O'Reilly's innocence or guilt, this response to this situation is all part of an ongoing attack on prominent conservative voices.

Old Today, 03:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,597 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Robert View Post

Why does Hollywood continue to make sickO, liberal movies that lose money and eschew the production of conservative movies that make money?