Survivalist Forum banner

Protein Bars/Meal Replacement Bars

8K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  infinityshock 
#1 ·
So I've decided to stock more PB rather than MREs because or space issues and costs. Do you guys have any favorites? I've only tried about 4 or 5 brands due to the fact I typically drink protein shakes. So if you guys know of any to stay away from let me know, thanks...

#2 ·
Stay away from all PB except for natural PB. All regular PB (Jiffy, etc...) has trans-fats in them. Look on the ingredient label for anything hydrogenated. They have to use hydrogenated oils to emulsify the peanut butter, so the oil and water-based ingredients do not separate. This is why natural PB has an oil layer on top, which you have to stir in (although it stays mixed after refrigeration). Trans-fats are really awful for your body.

I also think natural PB tastes better.

#5 ·
haha sorry guys I should have been more specific, as I posted that I had a feeling it might be miss understood. I know the shelf life isnt too long but Ill have more on hand and rotate my stock as I work out. they just seem to be more efficient and more compact, but Im not a huge fan of natural peanut butter. I have a might metabolism so i'm not too concerned with saturated fat (...although I should be).

#7 ·
Why not make your own? Alton Brown did an episode of Good Eats dedicated to energy bars, power bars, protein bars, etc. Far greater nutritional value, and far cheaper on the dollar. The economic factor really plays in when your talking about building a stockpile.

Homemade fruitcake is another good route. Lasts FOREVER (flavor improves with age) and nice and high calorie content. There's a reason it's traditionally given during winter holidays; food to get you through.

#12 ·
The ones I typically find have around 9-11 grams of protein, but they taste great compared to my other bars. Although the bars I keep on hand have 30g and 270 cal. and you can get 15 for $20 @ SAM's club. That taste like sandpaper, but under the conditions of a disaster that's the last thing I'll be worried about.

#16 ·
balance bars do decently in storage. they melt in the heat

payday bars do great in storage but after about a year they get a funky taste. they get softer in heat but still are edible

powerbars dont last in storage the way they used to but last about a year or slightly longer. they get softer in heat but are still edible

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.