Survivalist Forum banner

oat survival bars

8K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Wolfspirit 
#1 ·
3 C. raw or 2 minute Oats ( about 350 grams by weight)
1/4 tsp. salt ( to taste if you like)
3 T. honey
2 1/2 C. powdered milk ( about 200 grams by weight)
1 C. sugar ( 200 )
1/2 C. "Jelly" (best is lemon, don't follow the instructions on the box, complements the honey- 1 packet 80 g)

1/4 C. water

add raisins if you like ( very good idea trust me - 100 grams )

Place all dry ingredients except Jelly in a bowl.

Bring water, honey, and Jelly to a boil.

Add to dry ingredients. Mix well.

Add water a little at a time until mixture is just moist enough to mold.

Place in a small square dish and dry in the oven under very low heat.

Wrap and store. (wrap in heavy duty foil not the cheap stuff and then in some PVC insulation tape. (black for fun ))

This will make 2 bars - one bar is enough for one day - 200 g of powdered milk has 1000 calories
and 350 grammes of oats has 1750 calories as well as 1161 calories for the sugar and gelatine and 220 cal for the raisins

4131 - divided by 2 is about 2065 per bar - excluding the other less prolific ingredients

2000 calories is about what a average person should eat in a day -

These will store for a long time if they are cooked until quite dry, and are excellent for emergency packs, etc. Eat dry, or cooked in about 3/4 C. water.

lol or you can just make crunchies -- lol they are almost identical - but i don't think they store as long --- cause of the butter fat going rancid or the coconut tasting like soap...or the kids stealing them lol ...

made some 4 years ago and ate them the other day -- they were still the same as the day i made them --- hard and dry --- very dry --- and inclined to break your teeth .... tip for if you actually make these make them smaller and like cut into 6 pieces instead of 2 - they are easier to eat and if you wrap them up separately they are better to manage and ration should you need to -- awesome IRON RATIONS

See less See more
#5 ·
problem with gelatinis that , it is an incomplete protein . i have been playing around with peanut butter in the mixture but they don't seem to last as long ... but oats is very high in protean and very good for these purposes

#4 ·
jelly -in South Africa is jell-o in USA as far as i can figure out ... if you can confirm it would help others out a little - our jelly is a powder of flavored gelatin and sugar , usually mixed with half a cup of boiling water then half a cup of cold water and put in the fridge to set ... for the recipe don't add the water indicated on the box ... just the honey and the water from the recipe and add the dry powdered flavored gelatin.

#13 ·
some photos of my 2 year old bars -- still quite ok and tasty --- the raisins look funny but they still taste OK- this is one days rations btw -- so you 6 of these for the recipe above--- i took the second pic so that you can get an idea of the size in relation to my hand

Attachments

#15 ·
Per bar

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 serving (632.3 g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 2416
Calories from Fat 512
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56.9g
88%
Saturated Fat 13.2g
66%
Cholesterol 28mg
9%
Sodium 528mg
22%
Total Carbohydrates 413.5g
138%
Dietary Fiber 52.9g
212%
Sugars 85.6g
Protein 79.3g

Vitamin A 42% • Vitamin C 84%
Calcium 97% • Iron 181%

#17 ·
You can actually flavor these the original recipe calls for Jello to be added into the mix as a flavor additive and binding agent.
to flavor them without using flavored Jello or like products use Knox gelatin with 1 tbsp of a flavored extract i have used several but my favorite was banana coconut
since its kind of dry i use a food processor to grind the oats into a powder mix in the liquid then form and press it into a bar using a "musubi" press into bars wrap them in foil leaving them open on the top bake/dry them then close them up while still hot set aside to cool then vacuum seal them they keep alot longer that way and you can experiment with the flavors.
Vegans can substitute the jello or gelatin with agar agar and the powdered milk with powdered soy milk which i have no idea what the nutritional value of that is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.