Survivalist Forum banner

home-made energy bars/survival bars

16K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  DonP 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any recipies for energy/survival bars? like those thing you buy at the store for $4 a piece.

#2 ·
Personally I would not bother with them for the amount of time,expense,and the need to package them for longevity. What I use is
http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FM R046&name=Blueberry New Millennium Bar&bhcd2=1279948983 Theycome in 9 flavors,they say store for 5 years I have some that are 9 years old and still awsome. very durable cheap and I just buy them in groups of 100. Keep them in all the cars/trucks in my trailors,garages,kits . I take them hunting,fishing ect ect ec and they are 400 cal. each and they really taste great. Cant go wrong with them.

#5 ·
Combine in large bowl (we use stainless steel)
42 oz Old fashion oats
1 cup powdered milk
1 tablespoon cinnamon
14 oz shredded coconut
2 cups sunflower seeds
2 cups almond slices
1 cup sesame seeds

1 1/4 cup honey
1 1/4 canola oil (or whatever oil you prefer)
heat together (hot but not boiling)
pour over dry ingredients
If this is not moist enough, add a little water. All ingredients should be moist.
spread 1/2 inch over cookie sheets, do not go too thick
preheat 375º F oven, bake for 8 minutes, stir and re-spread, rotate pans (higher to lower)
bake 7-8 minutes longer. Brown but not too dark.
this will probably take several batches unless you have a really big oven.

Add raisins, chopped apricots, chopped dates, (dried banana, dried cranberries?)
(Aldi's has bags of mixed dried fruit that work nicely.) She uses whatever is on hand at the time.
A total of 3-4 cups fruit. (I like it best with just the dates and apricots)
Now you have your base granola. This is great just like it is.

Energy bars:

1 pint light corn syrup (bring to boil)
turn off heat, add 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 cup peanut butter
add to 9 cups granola (which you just made)
mix well and press into 9x13 greased pan

after it cools, we wrap in plastic wrap but you can use your vacuum sealer too.

#7 ·
For a more "cookie" like one. Get a box of Quaker oats. Look on the box for the cookie recipe...

Don't MIX the oats in, fold them, gently.

Then fold in 1 cup raisins, 1 cup almonds, 1 cup walnuts, 1 cup shredded coconut, 1 cup chocolate chips (which ever kind you like), 1 cup peanut butter chips. It will be ... chunky to say the least.

Instead of making cookies, push the mess TIGHT into a greased and floured 13x9 baking pan, and bake for 18 minutes @ 350 when it's still stupid hot flip it onto a cookie sheet and cut into bars.

I have no clue how long they last. They've never survived longer than 3 days when ever I have made them. They tend to disappear.

#11 ·
Puma Bars

1. Pre-heat oven to 350, oil a 10x6 baking pan
2. Heat 1/3 cup canola oil in a large saucpan over medium heat
When the oil is hot add 2/3 cup Pecan pieces
Cook stirring for about 3 minutes or until brown. Remove from heat
3. Add and beat well:
1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla extract
2 eggs
3/4 cup Whole wheat flour
1/4 unbleached white flour
2 tbs. wheat Germ
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1 cup butterscotch or chocolate Morsels or both
4. Put in pan and bake for 18 minutes or until just set. Cool completely on a rack and cut into 8 bats

NOTE: I have recently started adding dried fruit. I have lots of jars of dried fruit I make in the dehydrator and I have been adding peaches, raisins, strawberries, blueberries, cranberries and other types of nuts as well the possibilities are endless. And of coarse being a Vermonter I add some maple syrup over the top as well :)

#12 ·
Also try these, one of my favorite high energy hiking snack. They will last well over a month at Room temp.

Indian Heaven snack:

1. Toast 1/2 cup sesame seeds in a small skillet until lightly brown and set aside.
2. Bring to a boil: 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2tbs canola oil, 1/2 cup water. Reduce heat simmer for 2 min.
3. Remove from heat and stir in and mix well:
1 Cup peanut butter
1/2 cut whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 cups any variety finely chopped nuts
4. roll into balls the size of small walnuts; then roll then in the toasted sesame seeds
5. Set on plates, cover, and chill in the fridge for several hours or until they are firm. Store in individual serving size bags at room temp.

These things are like the red bull of food there so good.

#15 ·
Well, it was a hit! It was so funny too...I made up the granola and let the kids have some to try, which they loved so much I left the first batch AS IS! They ate it as cereal for breakfast, then came home from school and I let them eat it with spoons and peanut butter (a big, fun mess on a plate) as a snack and then they wanted to know if they could have it for dinner. Ha Ha I'm making a batch that I will actually turn into bars this time though. Thanks again!

#22 ·
ANZAC biscuits last a decent amount time. That was there original purpose.
You could add chopped fruit, seeds, nuts, choc chips etc.

For those who don't know what an ANZAC biscuit is:
Firstly, cookies are biscuits in Aus/NZ (except now we say cookies too - but for more cake-y ones). Also called Bickies, because EVERYTHING has a diminutive! They were made during WW1 by Aus/Nz wives at home on rations, and sent to soldiers. Because of this, they use a few ingredients and last a long time and use no eggs (were scarce and didn't last).
Here's a recipe:
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/21104/anzac+biscuits
Sorry, it's in metric. Also, bicarb soda is baking soda.

#23 ·
I make them up for my son all the time, using whatever I have in the pantry, and enough honey to make it stick together. The batch I made last night was toasted rolled oats, dried cranberry bits, cashews, sunflower seeds, chopped banana chips, pumpkin seeds, and chocolate chips. mixed with enough honey to make it stick, and baked in a slow oven for awhile to sorta dry it out a bit, then cut into bars and let dry on the counter. my rules are no wheat and no peanuts. we are wheat-free, and his school is peanut-free. he needs to be able to carry these to school with him.

#29 ·
In case anyone comes across this thread later, I just wanted to give an updated link for the bars that Rascal originally linked to. The link he posted is now outdated since we relaunched our site, so here's the new one:
http://beprepared.com/essential-gear/emergency-food-and-water.html?meal_types=305

Some of these recipes sound amazing--I'm going to have to give them a try.

--Sarah K (for Emergency Essentials)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.