Where to actually keep emergency savings/cash? bank? Mattress? - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Acronyms kev New Member Introduction 1003 05-13-2017 07:10 PM
ARES / RACES or both? k0diak314 Communications 5 02-07-2017 06:37 PM
Home built cogeneration system - Battery bank charger / Hot water? Mr4btTahoe DIY - Do It Yourself 18 02-07-2017 07:54 AM
amateur radio communication for hobby or emergency Mrterryman Pennsylvania 6 01-24-2017 07:49 AM
A couple of questions about the battery bank I've built... hlsjunk DIY - Do It Yourself 32 01-07-2017 09:58 PM

Old 03-19-2017, 12:30 AM
Learning

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero5 View Post
I don't know if anyone thought of Safe Deposit Boxes, but that's what I use. Banks don't like customers storing cash in them because they aren't FDIC insured, so if the bank burnt down, your out that cash, but I still do it
Don't use a bank safe deposit box. Banks can and will close indefinately to protect themselves during bank runs. This includes access to safe deposit boxes. Remember that you are * always * an unsecured creditor with them, regardless of what you deposit with them (bank accounts, box assets etc).

Try private vaults - their charter is to protect their clients.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aus_sprite For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,743 Times in 2,549 Posts

My SIL's mother died a couple of years back and she was old school Austrian. When they cleaned out the house, they had to go through each and every book and magazine to find stashed cash. It took her and her brother 3 days to go through it all. $20 there, $100 there, it added up to a tidy sum.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 AM

If I ever was successful enough to have a stash of PM and cash, I would buy a really really good safe, conceal it, and get an alarm system.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,109 Times in 2,003 Posts

Someone, anyone please correct me if I am wrong, but did not obama pass some sort of legislation that allowed the banks to keep the depositor's money in case of another economic meltdown "To shore themselves up with" depositor's monies? This has been my thinking these past 4-6 years now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 09:12 PM

thanks for all the replies guys.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:30 PM
Libertarian

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,140 Posts

Safe deposit box at a good bank-end of story!
Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 22,399 Times in 6,997 Posts

A safety deposite box at a bank would be my last choice.

The lending practices, and high risk investments of large commercial banks, are the greatest risk we face. They will likely cause a future Great Depression, and their lresponse would be to sieze the assets of their customers. They will take your account balance, default on CDs and money market accounts, and steal the contents of your safety deposit box.

Why would I suggest this? Because that's what they gave done before. They done it recently in other countries, and did it here in the US, during the first Great Depression. Plus, the morons in Congress have changed the banking laws to make this easier and more likely.

If you have significant assets, convert those assets into tangible form, buy a home safe, and keep your big mouth shut.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 PM

When I was a kid, my grandfather had dug out a section of the floor of his garage and put in a fireproof safe. They covered it with cardboard (like when you are trying to catch oil drips) and parked a car over the top of it that was rarely used. I always thought that was a great idea and might do that myself someday.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 PM

Emergency fund, financially speaking, should be in savings or money market. Things look iffy, pull it out. I keep $100 or with me, $100 or so in my truck, same with petty cash in a kitchen drawer. Gold and silver in gun safe, because I like it. Things would have to turn negative for me to pull large amounts of cash. Stay informed. My dad hid money, when we were shredding old documents, we almost trashed a thousand bucks hidden in a stack of papers.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,743 Times in 2,549 Posts

I hooked up to the local sewer system in 1989 and the waste line is routed out the front of my basement floor. There is a clean-out about 18" below the floor that is required by code and I'll probably never use it. I built a form and made a box that is 18" deep and about 10" square.

I had carpet laid down after that and had the installer go right over it. After that I carefully cut out a square of carpet and glued that to an aluminum cover It is hard to detect even walking close to it. I usually park furniture over it. It has turned out to be a great stash.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 22,399 Times in 6,997 Posts

Your emergency savings are like your life jacket. Where do you keep your life jackets when you go fishing on the lake?

Hopefully, you keep them in the boat.

Not in your safety deposit box.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post: