Survivalist Forum banner

Does anyone happen to have a detailed scan of RETEZAT?

9K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  X47 
#1 ·
Hey lads,

Excuse my romanian, but I've been looking for a good map I can carry around when hiking in Retezat. We are hiking from 'cabana' to 'cabana', so no total wilderness or anything. I forgot the name of the place, but it is the mountain area where it seems the 'head is cut off', it slips my mind right now. No super high mountains or anything, just nice walk in nature, with the opportunity to get lost :O

Would anyone happen to have a detailed pdf map of the area? One of good enough quality to have printed as a map? I received one, but is is so old that I'd hate to not be able to return it in good condition, and again, it is very old but also lacking detail of the area, so not very useful.

Multumesc!

#3 ·
Retezat area is not for random hiking. There are no cabins whatsoever except in the edge areas of the mountains and one of them is for emergencies only. A cross-trip from Cirnic area as start point to the lake on the opposite site can take 10h+ if you are untrained and that's assuming there is good weather, which is usually not. Weather can vary from one extreme to another (sun-heavy rain) in just 15 minutes. So you'd better have some pretty good multi-weather equipment if you want to go there.

For what you want I'd recommand the Bucegi area, as there are plenty of nice zones and some can only take a small amount of time to cover. You can also find pretty much any type of landscape configuration there, compared to Retezat where it's 95% rocky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.