Survivalist Forum banner

an american in Prague/Budapest

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Robot 
#1 ·
We leave next week for our trip. Considering the castle in Prague is closed to our ambassador, how will we be received there?
I promise im not CIA, just a dude who likes history, goulash and beer. The wife just want to look at shoes...:)

#7 ·
Shoe "looking". I might let her drive a tank with me though.;)

Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe (IMHO). A few suggestions for you:

There is a tour you can sign up for that involves riding in a double-deck bus which is a fascinating way to discover things around the city to explore later on your own. (Go for the Pilsner Urquel - it's original Czech beer - but also the Budvar or Budweiser - its not at all like American Budweiser.) while the restaurants around the square are trendy, they are also expensive. If you find one of the smaller restaurants while wandering through the streets, it will be authentic food at decent prices.

Have fun. Prague is a great city to explore.
Ive been wanting to go since 2003. First thing we usually do in a foreign city is do the hop on hop off tour with a free walking tour to get our feel. Of course I have a large list of must-sees a couple of day trips out to kutna hora for the bone church, cesky Crumlov and the many local sites.

isn't prague known for really tall beautiful women? why the heck are you taking your wife?
Im not taking her as much as she is following me. Lol

Gotta agree with you. My favorite country out of the 6 I visited.

When I went it was just before they switched to the Euro and we're still using the crown. The exchange rate was 30 to 1. We ate like kings for very cheap and the authentic food in the smaller places was awesome. The architecture of the churches is beautiful. My only advice is beware of the beggers on the St. Charles bridge.
They haven't converted yet from the cz yet. It will be much better than the 2:1 exchange rate when we were in the UK, not to mention $1.10 20oz delicious beer goodness. The rate is currently 28-1. :)

#3 ·
Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe (IMHO). A few suggestions for you:

There is a tour you can sign up for that involves riding in a double-deck bus which is a fascinating way to discover things around the city to explore later on your own. (Go for the Pilsner Urquel - it's original Czech beer - but also the Budvar or Budweiser - its not at all like American Budweiser.) while the restaurants around the square are trendy, they are also expensive. If you find one of the smaller restaurants while wandering through the streets, it will be authentic food at decent prices.

Have fun. Prague is a great city to explore.

#6 ·
Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe (IMHO).

(Go for the Pilsner Urquel - it's original Czech beer - but also the Budvar or Budweiser - its not at all like American Budweiser.) while the restaurants around the square are trendy, they are also expensive. If you find one of the smaller restaurants while wandering through the streets, it will be authentic food at decent prices.
Gotta agree with you. My favorite country out of the 6 I visited.

When I went it was just before they switched to the Euro and we're still using the crown. The exchange rate was 30 to 1. We ate like kings for very cheap and the authentic food in the smaller places was awesome. The architecture of the churches is beautiful. My only advice is beware of the beggers on the St. Charles bridge.

#10 ·
Only been to Prague, avoid the tourist pubs, irish themed etc, they are expensive and dull, not many locals in. It is a while since I was there (10 yrs) but the main touristy bits late at night were pretty sleazy, drugs and women being offered openly.

The locals seem very keen on gambling, there were a number of bars that had huge off track bookmakers in them.

We sat in a local bar drinking very nice beer for a fraction of the tourist bars and had some great crack with the locals.

#11 ·
I am half Czech and half Hungarian. Both sets of Grandparents grew up in each country.

I have been to both Prague and Budapest, (2001).

All my life my Mother told me that Czech's and Hungarians are very different people. The Czech's are more straight forward and aloof, while the Hungarians are very outgoing and gregarious.

My European tour guide agreed with this categorization. She said there is a saying in Europe:

"Beware a Hungarian in a revolving door behind you, because he may exit in front of you"

When I asked her what this meant, she said, Hungarians maintained private land and business ownership under Soviet rule. Other neighboring countries did not. Many say they were able to do this because of their innate ability to "smooze" and make the best of a bad situation.

You will notice a difference in demeanor between the people of the Czech Republic and Hungary. Czech's aren't rude, they are just more aloof.

If you can visit Slovakia, it is basically a more "rural" Czech Republic.

You will see things there you will never see anywhere in the states. Driving into Prague we went past miles and miles and miles or dull gray concrete multi story apartment buildings the Soviets built.

I got some WWII and later Czech stamps from Prague street vendor. A few stamps have Hitler on them and a few have Stalin and other Soviet leaders.

Finally, beware of pick pockets in any country over there. Stay situationally aware at all times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.