Survivalist Forum banner

So I did a thing by Gosh. New Mossberg

8K views 56 replies 12 participants last post by  tnxdshooter 
#1 ·
So I did a thing today and bought this from Bud's Gunshop. It's an 18.5" barrel Mossberg 590a1 7+1. The model is 50774 for those interested. Unfortunately, it was not on the list of discounted firearms for qualified professionals (leos) but they did price match me from where I found it on another site cheaper. Stay tuned for the build!

Stock photo

Firearm Gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, I'm upset with buds. Payment cleared on my gun early yesterday morning 3-17-17. I contacted Bud's to see when the firearm would ship so I could make arrangements with my ffl. These jack nuts said they aren't going to ship until 3-23-17 saying the funds haven't left my bank. I told em bs and sent them proof it has cleared my bank. I'm awaiting their response!

I mean I could understand waiting until Monday 3-20-17 to ship! But 3-23-17 6 days after payment has cleared the bank? That's a bit excessive.

Not a good experience for a first time Bud's shopper!

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Yeah I know that's where they get you. You can only make a cash payment to get the discount online via ach electronic check which should theoretically be like using a debit card or you can mail a money order or personal check but it may take nearly 2 weeks for the money order/personal checks. I can understand some banks holding funds 3-7 days but damn if they already have taken the money out of my account then they should have it. There's no reason it should be held up if it's gone out of my account but apparently it is some way.

#8 ·
Maybe this'll make you feel better.

In the early 1970s I ordered a cased pair of Colt .22 Lord Derringers for my wife for Christmas. Took more than a month to get to the Memphis, TN gun shop. They arrived in mid December.

That was when the legal 15 day waiting period started.

Boy, was I ANNOYED!

It was supposed to be a "cooling off" period, but it sure didn't work that way with me.

Gave 'em to her for New Years.

#13 ·
Speaking of Memphis

I ordered a water bladder off amazon on 2-28-17. It goes out about 3 days later via usps priority mail. It comes from Ohio which should be two days. For some strange reason instead of making a straight shot to my hub in nashville it goes to Memphis. It sits in Memphis for a week then back to Nashville then I get it yesterday. What the?

By then amazon had already refunded me when it didn't arrive within 10 days thinking it was lost. Now I've got a water bladder and my money back. Go figure. I think I'll call and see if they want the 8.99 but I'm sure their response is going to be just keep the bladder and the money.

#11 ·
Don't get me started on psa. I ordered from them once to. It was in stock when I ordered. Two weeks later they hadn't taken my money or shipped. I contact them. Oh it's out of stock. I ask for refund in full. They refuse. Long story short I had to blast them on the ak files on their thread there before they'd refund me.

#20 ·
Welp,

She came in to the ffl today. I went and checked her out. Sights straight, action smooth, fed and ejected reliably with snap caps, the safety worked. However the whole thing was covered in what looked like bearing grease. I thought cosmolined sks's were bad but damn mossberg. It came with the choke tube wrench for my accu choke. I promptly packed it all back up and drove 30 miles to the FedEx hub and dropped her off to go to aimpro tactical in conifer colorado for some custom work.

#23 ·
Haters are going to hate because they are envious! I don't care though!

Well,

It finally arrived yesterday at my ffl! I checked it out. The sights were straight, safety worked, slide action button worked, I fed it some snap caps and it ejected them with authority. I thought sks's were bad. This thing was packed in a thick grease almost like cosmoline. I just did a cursory wipe down there at the store. I was able to confirm prior to it arriving that it has the Mossberg accuchoke system. It comes with a cylinder bore choke installed and comes with the wrench. I ordered me an improved cylinder choke for it and it is enroute. After the cursory wipe down I boxed it back up in the double boxes that it came in and drove to the FedEx hub and shipped it off to Aimpro Tactical in Conifer Colorado, to have their action job and forcing cone lengthened, polished and back bored. I get a 10% leo discount so I thought why not? I've always wanted a custom 590a1 and I'm making it happen. When it gets back I am going to be sending the barrel off to magnaport to have it ported. I will get a 15% leo discount on that as well. All these mods will do the following.

1. Tighten the patterns
2. Reduce the recoil
3. Keep the muzzle down for quicker follow up shots
4. Make the action silky smooth
5. Ensure reliable feeding.

Thus far I have the following parts here or in route.
1. Magpul 590 Moe forend-here
2. GG&G 590 stainless follower -here
3. GG&G front ambidextrous sling loop-here
4. S&J Hardware flush fit for 18.5" barrels +2 4140 steel magazine extension-enroute from Canada this will give me 7 in the tube and 1 in the chamber for 8 rounds out of an 18.5" barrel
5. Enhanced safety-enroute
6. Improved cylinder choke-enroute
7. Tacstar side saddle-enroute I'll only be using the metal backing plate.

I have not decided yet if I am going to go with the magpul sga stock yet or not. I probably will though. If not and it works out to where this new enhanced safety can be manipulated smoothly on and off in a sweeping motion with my fingers much in the same way say an AK safety is with a pistol grip stock then I will take the Mesa tactical leo adapter, enidine hydraulic recoil buffer tube, magpul miad grip, and magpul ctr with Limbsaver butt pad off my 500 and run them on this 590 a1. This is the setup I'm hoping for.

The only things I'll have left to do after the barrel porting are as follows.
1. Cerakote over park the barrel, mag tube extension, and mag tube magpul flat dark earth
2. Cerakote over alodine the receiver. Magpul flat dark earth
3. Have the magpul forend cerakoted and baked magpul od green.
4. Install all parts!

I'll get a 20% leo discount on this.

The last three things I'll purchase once it's back from paint are as follows

1. Inforce wmlx 500 lumen light that I'll mount on the front of the magpul forend. I like this setup for the ergonomics.
2. SOE Gear 2 point to 1 point convertible sling.
3. Esstac 7 shot velcro shotgun cards.

I'll keep you all updated with pics during the processes.

FYI for those curious I've found cerakote over park to be durable as all get out. The park grabs a hold of the cerakote and doesn't want to let go which gives better adhesion and superior durability.

Also, for aluminum I've found none better then to alodine first and then cerakote. This does exactly what park does on steel parts except this is on aluminum!

This is the safety I'm going to be running so I'm hoping being able to use my mesa tactical setup will work well.

https://youtu.be/gS9mLb5IJfk

#28 ·
I got a call from Mike Shain president, owner, and CEO of Aimpro tactical. He took payment over the phone and told me that the barrel work was done on my shotgun and the action job would be done and the gun should ship by Wednesday at the latest.

#35 ·
Mike Shain at Aimpro claims its a casting mark. I've never seen casting marks that resemble cracks. Does anyone else have a 590a1 with the metal trigger group they can look at and see if theirs has casting marks that look like a crack in their trigger group and get back to me on here?

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.