Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Money for a new gun or training? jerdog3 Firearms General Discussion 20 03-16-2017 08:12 AM
Survival Acronyms kev New Member Introduction 1001 02-08-2017 02:50 PM
Looking for Vancouver Island Training Partner. junglecrawler General Discussion 10 01-03-2017 07:47 AM
Medical Training? ApocalypseMTR Health, Fitness and First Aid 13 12-09-2016 05:02 PM
Bad Training Worse Than No Training AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-22-2016 08:00 PM

Old 03-22-2017, 06:41 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr100 View Post
Does your state have a PHRN program?
No--we have EMR (Emergency Medical Responder), EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) something still in development called an AEMT (Advanced EMT) and finally, Paramedic.

I am thinking of going the RN route. As a teacher, I could start now in the summers doing prerequisites so I'd be ready by the time I retire to go into nursing.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Does your state have a PHRN program?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Medic View Post

Nursing takes over and provides life support for the rest of the patients life. much broader in scope and knowledge.

ive done little else than EMS since i was 18. 49 now and wondering what i'll do when i'm too old to lift those 200 pounders into the ambulance.

please consider nursing.
That is what I am thinking--while certainly stressful, teaching isn't necessarily physically demanding (unless breaking up fights).

Plus, I think some of my interpersonal skills could transfer as well. Thanks!!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyman View Post
Ever consider chiropractic?
No, not really--I was thinking that might be too physically stressful.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:59 PM
🔫🔪🔦

Thanked 7,306 Times in 2,386 Posts

Why only EMS or Nursing? These are not the end all of health career paths.

There are dozens of other medical related fields to choose, and being an RN is not the end all for breadth of knowledge and potential for experience, despite what some would have you believe.

Surgical Tech or a Surgical Assistant (There are big differences between the two), Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Respiratory Therapist, Pharmacy Tech, Medical Assistant, MRI Tech, Diagnostic Medical Sonographer, Radiology Tech (So much to do with this one), Clinical Lab Tech, Dispensing Optician, Cardiovascular Tech, Dental Tech, Dental Hygienist,..........And so many more.

You already have your prereqs. Go see a Career Counselor and then an Admissions Counselor at the school that you're interested in going.

As far as the rest of the stuff goes.....

As someone who has years of both EMS and Nursing experience, I can assure you that both careers do a whole lot of lifting in a days work, and each has more than it share of injuries.

I can also assure you that despite claims by some to the contrary, Nursing and EMS are very much separate fields to work, with neither being better than the other. Though there are a number EMTs that work in various facilities as EMTs, but relatively few RNs that work in the field as strictly an RN......unless in public health or disaster mitigation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 PM
Viva la revolution!

Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,166 Posts

People can say many things. As an RN I am going to be a bit biased.

I don't work in the ditch,
I don't work in the heat,
I don't work in the cold,
I don't go into strangers houses,
I have never ran to the middle of a football field.

I like working indoors, in a climate controlled room with some reasonable sense of security. Call me crazy.

I have the utmost respect for the people that do all the things I don't, but face it...... when is the last time you saw a medic over the age of about 35.........
The Following User Says Thank You to Guntoteninfadel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 09:46 AM
🔫🔪🔦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntoteninfadel View Post
People can say many things. As an RN I am going to be a bit biased.

I don't work in the ditch,
I don't work in the heat,
I don't work in the cold,
I don't go into strangers houses,
I have never ran to the middle of a football field.

I like working indoors, in a climate controlled room with some reasonable sense of security. Call me crazy.
EMS is where I got my start into Nursing.

Nursing is where I got my start into hospital administration.

Hospital administration is where I got my start into HR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntoteninfadel View Post
I have the utmost respect for the people that do all the things I don't, but face it...... when is the last time you saw a medic over the age of about 35.
45 minutes ago.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,991 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Belle View Post
I mainly want enough training to be of real use in a SHTF scenario, but also try for a short second career. The more I read and research into medical skills and knowledge, the more fascinating it becomes to me.

Probably could have gone into medicine much younger but I really enjoy teaching (most of the time!).
Depending on your current level of schooling, best bang for the buck and speed is RN and will give you a good broad non specific knowledge base. Can continue on to be NP if you desire...

If you're a little more patient, and already have a BS, look into PA schools.

If you want to know how to manage immediate trauma on scene problems, paramedic.

If you want to learn how to do surgeries, and suture, etc... Scrub Tech.

Depending on your age and ability to relocate, look at what local colleges offer for education.

If you want to be useful in the SHTF scenario, then you need the experience behind the knowledge.

Im an RN/RNFA/FNP/PHDNP. I have 20 years of medical experience with more than that for education... in most situations I'm useless without the tools and equipment... I saw a woman get thrown from a car last year. My best tool was my cell phone and a pair of gloves. But there's little I can do to help other than protect her airway - which I was not about to do mouth to mouth...
The Following User Says Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Pork Eating Infidel

Thanked 7,505 Times in 1,969 Posts

another thought would be the NOLS Wilderness EMT - courses are kinda spendy but they deal with stabilization and longer term stabilization - not exactly sure what that might be stay within Scope of Practice for an EMT but it might be a good compromise
The Following User Says Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 01:50 PM
🔫🔪🔦

Quote:
another thought would be the NOLS Wilderness EMT - courses are kinda spendy but they deal with stabilization and longer term stabilization - not exactly sure what that might be stay within Scope of Practice for an EMT but it might be a good compromise
There are all kinds of additional training available to all levels of certification/licensure.

The most common encountered are BLS, ACLS, PALS, BTLS, ATLS, and PHTLS. Though there are literally dozens that apply to the many fields within any one profession.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post: