Survivalist Forum banner

Samick sage takedown recurve questions

5K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  junglecrawler 
#1 ·
So i wanna get this bow (The one in the title) and im not completely sure what i need to go with it (Gloves, attachments etc) and what arrows and broadheads to use with it

Plus i dont know much about bows so some help with knowing how to use it and all would be great too

Thanks!

#2 ·
easton Carbon fiber arrows with feather fletches, a flemish twist string and a string loop, a arm guard,(it can be as fancy or as plain as you want it, its there to save the skin on your inner forearm) .
Zwicky Eskimo or Eskilite broadheads. You get a longer lifespan out of Zwicky .

you also need a fishing arrow and reel, and some birding tips, as well as field points.

samick sage is a excellent bow. I went with the Primal gear myself, in 55lb, daughter shoots my first one which was a 45lb.

#3 ·
I don't use an arm guard. But I bought one anyway, when I first got my recurve; figuring I'd use it more for my 75lb compound, I use a 3 under pull; no release. Don't even use it for that. Just be aware of how you're holding your bow, then it's one less item to spend on.

Just a thought.

I don't currently have this bow, but I was thinking about buying it to see if I like it. Read reviews.

Personally, I don't bother with the fishing stuff. The fish in my area aren't swimming at the top and in murky muddy water, good luck. But if you have a need for it, or think you might. Go ahead.

Goblin has some great advice. Just think of your uses for it and go from there.

Have fun!

#4 ·
If you get desperate for a arm guard use the shaft off a 8" leather boot. preferably one with speed lacing on it, make ya a loop with shock cord, and cris cross the speed lace posts. one I use, was off a set of old lineman boots i wore out, top 2 holes were eyes, ran the cord thru those, then all ya gotta do is get the length and criss-cross. a lot of the time, your calf and forearm are roughly the same size, the leather on that part of a old boot is worn and soft/pliable, and it shapes to your arm. I never liked the ones that sat on top higher than your arm, to flat and rigid.
that's why when I dis-gard a set of boots, I always save the bits I think I can use for something leather wise.,
because,
as far as leather and metal, there is no such thing as trash, just raw materials for use as something else.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the great info on what gear to buy for this bow
I dont have the money to spare for it and all the gear yet but i plan on getting it in the future so this will be good to look at once i decide to buy it

Also how long will it take to get good with a bow?
I heard somewhere (Here on survivalistboards) that every 3 months of training to switch limbs to something a little higher

#9 ·
Also how long will it take to get good with a bow?
Depends. You can definitely "Fast Track" if you have a coach or someone knowledgeable help you. I am a Level III USA NTS coach and I have been able to take students from barely hitting the bale to grouping decent in just a few hours. You can save yourself months, even years of frustration and training by having a good coach. As I said above, find the closest archery range or coach. There should be a state Archery Organization, contact them. You can also visit the USA Archery and use their "Coach Locator".

I heard somewhere (Here on survivalistboards) that every 3 months of training to switch limbs to something a little higher
Dont be too quick to do that. Limbs for the Sage are $60-$150 depending on supplier and brand. Everytime you change poundage, you will need to change arrows (spine) to get good arrow flight. And you want a well tuned system so you arent fighting for good groups. Get a manageable draw weight that you can use to perfect form/technique without struggling with it. (Again, seek help!) This will also make shooting more enjoyable. Just using a bow will build strength and endurance regardless of draw weight.

#10 ·
I have been involved in archery for 40 years and shooting recurve bows for 30. The samick sage is a good bow for beginners and is affordable. Some fussy guys will tell you to buy a better string for it, but I say wait and see about that later. If I were you, here is what I would do. Call Three rivers archery and tell them what you want to do and ask for their advice. What you will need is, the bow with a string, some sort of arrows matched to the bow, with field points (just get a half dozen) and feather fletching, some sort of quiver to hold your arrows ( a simple belt mounted one is fine), yes, an arm guard (they do help), and I would recommend a simple three finger shooting glove. You can try a tab later but just one slap on the forearm and you will really wish you had an armguard. They also help hold your sleeve back too. The biggest thing You need is for someone to help you set up the bow properly for good shooting. Things like Brace Height, Nocking Point, and the Arrow Rest are all things that take experience to do well. Otherwise you are just randomly flinging arrows and will never be any good. You can learn a lot on you-tube. I would definitely join a forum like The Leather Wall and ask lots of questions. Call 3 Rivers. They will help you get what you need.

#11 ·
Ebay has leather shooting gloves for about $7 out of England. I own a bunch of them and they are very high quality. Get 2 sets of limbs 35lb and 50 lb+. Your arrows are cut according to length of draw and your need arrows with 4" fletch on them. A lot of people buy arrows set up for compound bows that will bounce off of a recurve riser. Get 2 fast flight strings and equivalent beaver balls. Put a riser rug on the bow. Take some lessons from a legitimate instructor.

#12 ·
I started my girlchild out at 7 with a 15lb goblin bow. Now, at 15 she is shooting her (my first ) 45lb primal gear, and she regularly breaks my 55lb draw Primal gear. and shes a tiny lil thing. she also shoots a Bear OdysseyII 40 to 50 peak draw weight at home, and a Genesis original in archery at school, it peaks out at 30, so to her she has to watch or she overdraws the lighter weight. archery comes with practice. lots and lots of practice. shoot till your fingers blister and bleed, shoot till the callus forms. every day. 2 to 4 hours . repetitive. the only reason that she cant quite outshoot (targets are about even money) dear old dad is she cant quite break my old 70 peak draw bear wheelie compound, nor the Darton. while most kids are playing vidios or playing on their cell phone, i hear her out back. "thawk.........thawk....................thawk. then she cranks up her tunes, and i try to figure out how many new arrows i gotta get her this month.

#13 ·
Ive had a samick sage for a few years. Its so much more convenient and a great all around bow that i sold my old bear bow. If youre hunting horseback its the only way to go. After reading a comment from goblin a while back i switched to flemish strings and the difference is day and night over a continuous loop in my opinion. I use a deer tail tab instead of a glove, theyre pretty easy to make too as long as ya shoot a deer once in awhile. I made my arm guard out of a pair of old cowboy cuffs that i had laying around. I also use easton shafts, carbon fiber, BUT i love making hickory shafts, ive been working on broadheads on the forge. If i ever get it right ill be able to use the hickory shafts. Get some bees for an almost endless supply of string wax.

#15 ·
Some quick advice:

1. Find an experienced archer to get you started. You need to learn proper form and you don't want to pick up bad habits. Try Leatherwall or Tradgang for people near you.

2. Get a tab and not a glove. You will get a smoother release. Also, there there isn't much time between a glove being broken in and worn out.

3. Start light!!! I can not stress this enough. I would start with 30-35lb limbs first to learn form. 30 would probably be the best.

4. The arrows you get will be based on the draw weight at your draw length. Aluminims are cheap and are easier to tune in my opinion, so you might want to start with those.

#16 ·
I agree with almost all of that.

The only thing I take issue with is saying get a tab instead of a glove. Tab or glove, its up to the individual to choose what they like. I have used both & prefer gloves by far. The OP should try both and then decide what they like.

Other than that, you are spot on with your advice.

#17 ·
The Long Bow

In the year 1415 , the long bow was the weapon used to kill enemy troops at a distance by the English Army.

It was made from the wood of the Yew tree and the English had cut down almost all these trees in England to make Bows for the military.

Shooting the Long bow was referred to as "plucking the Yew or Flipping the bird " , ( a reference to the feathered shaft of the iron pointed arrows used to penetrate armor ).

On St. Crispin's day in 1415 at Agincourt France, king Henry the 5th faced the French army and was out numbered five to one.

The French general, (anticipating an easy victory for France), vowed to King Henry, to cut off the middle finger of all the surviving English Bowmen so that they could never again shoot the long bow.

Against all odds Henry the fifth carried the battle and all the English Bowmen filed by the surviving French army captives , held up their middle finger and told them ,"I can still Pluck the Yew and flip you the bird ".

This became a symbol of defiance by the British to the French from that day forward.

Now you know the whole story of where "Flipping the bird" originated.

#18 ·
In the year 1415 , the long bow was the weapon used to kill enemy troops at a distance by the English Army.

It was made from the wood of the Yew tree and the English had cut down almost all these trees in England to make Bows for the military.

Shooting the Long bow was referred to as "plucking the Yew or Flipping the bird " , ( a reference to the feathered shaft of the iron pointed arrows used to penetrate armor ).

On St. Crispin's day in 1415 at Agincourt France, king Henry the 5th faced the French army and was out numbered five to one.

The French general, (anticipating an easy victory for France), vowed to King Henry, to cut off the middle finger of all the surviving English Bowmen so that they could never again shoot the long bow.

Against all odds Henry the fifth carried the battle and all the English Bowmen filed by the surviving French army captives , held up their middle finger and told them ,"I can still Pluck the Yew and flip you the bird ".

This became a symbol of defiance by the British to the French from that day forward.

Now you know the whole story of where "Flipping the bird" originated.
Humorous but totally untrue.

#20 ·
The Sage is a great starter bow, and many long time archers, including me, have one. They're quite fun and good for the price.

Many of them don't come with a rest, so you'll be shooting off shelf until you put one on.

There's a craptonne of well priced packages you can get off amazon, and the below package comes with an arrow rest:

https://www.amazon.com/Samick-Sage-...F8&qid=1506063259&sr=1-5&keywords=samick+sage

#25 ·
JC, I can certainly understand how reading a well researched NARRATIVE account of the battle may seem to be proof, however, even in your own reference above, you dont cite the "V" was used. I dont doubt fingers were removed, in my reference, they cite historical text where 3 fingers were removed, however, a better explanation is here (but no doubt you will dismiss this too)

" the details of medieval battles such as the one at Agincourt in 1415 did not go unrecorded. Battles were observed and chronicled by heralds who were present at the scene and recorded what they saw, judged who won, and fixed names for the battles. These heralds were not part of the participating armies, but were, as military expert John Keegan describes, members of an “international corporation of experts who regulated civilized warfare.” Several heralds, both French and English, were present at the battle of Agincourt, and not one of them (or any later chroniclers of Agincourt) mentioned anything about the French having cut off the fingers of captured English bowman."
http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.asp

I dont always believe snopes but they lay out good points.

The fact is, there is no documented evidence that either the "V" or "bird" sign derived from archers taunting opposing armies by showing fingers.

The burden of proof is with you and proving it is true. I would be happy to read evidence proving so.

I have a copy and have read Toxophilus, hence my username. Speaking as a USA Archery Level III NTS coach and historian, the term "float" does not mean pressure is not kept on string, the 3rd finger still holds about 10% of weight and is used.

We've wasted enough space hyjacking this thread, I suggest we take it to PM's or another thread.

#26 ·
in your own reference above, you don't cite the "V" was used
I realize this, I was using it as an example that debunking the origin cannot be proven.

I'm always open to sound historical argument, and will side for historic fact, of course, but in a case such as this, I'm supporting the narrative that's a part of Western cultural legacy, rather than attempts to further dismantle European heritage. By this I'm referring to the skeptic bloc, not yourself.

If there were, say, period documentation to the contrary, for example King Philip ordering his troops not to mutilate prisoners' fingers, etc, I'd love to see it.

Thank you for being a gentleman in the debate, look forward to reading more from you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.