Survivalist Forum banner

Cleaning a Flintlock pistol.

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Le Loup 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a Intercontinental Kentuckian .44 cal flintlock pistol (for about $7.00 in trade) and got a flint for it. I checked the touch hole for obstruction, loaded a "reeneactor load" in it to test fire, and it fired without an issue, so I beleiev its okay to "live fire" with lead ball. I have been reading up on firing flintlocks, since my black powder experience mostly comes from being a WBTS reenactor using a .58 cal percassion cap Enfield and .36 and .44 cal Navy Colt pistols.

I have always cleaned my rifle and pistols after shooting with the nipples removed and boiling water poured through them until it ran clear. I would then scrape them for fouling, wire brush them, run dry patches, then oiled patches to finish. I then lube the nipple threads, and replace them(I started doing this after I had to deal with a frozen nipple on my Enfield at Bentonville one year:)). Then, I left it til next shooting.

I have never shot, nor cleaned a flintlock, before, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on cleaning one. I only shot a 30 grain load of 3f through it, so I now need to clean it.

Is my "boiling water" method of cleaning okay? I know the touch hole needs to be cleared, so I figured a nipple pick would do the job.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Take care,

DixieKen

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a whole lot of difference in cleaning a caplock and a flintlock.

Here is how I clean my rifle;

Take a patch, fold it up tightly and place it in the pan. Then close the frizzen. The idea is to stop the flow of water from coming out of the touch hole.

Pour a little room temperature water down the barrel and close the top off with your thumb. Now flip the gun upside down, then right side up. Repeat this a few times to flush the barrel. Let the dirty water run out and repeat until the water starts coming out clean.

Now just swab up and down with alternating wet and dry patches until the dry patches start coming out clean. Take a damp cloth and wipe down the lock and outside of the barrel to remove the residue that builds up there.

Oil everything inside and out.

Done.

About once a year I'll wrap a little superfine steel wool around a jag and give the barrel a couple of passes with it. I also remove/clean/lube the lock about once a year.

You don't need boiling water to clean, or even hot water. You also don't need any fancy black powder cleaning agents. Plain tap water will clean as well as anything.

#3 ·
Thanks Flinter. Makes since about using the frizzen and patch to block the touch hole. I usually plug the nipple hole on my Enfield with a dry patch and do the same.

We usually used boiling water in camp after a battle, when we shot about 50-75 rounds. Yer right, I won't need that for what I will be shooting now.

My brother gave me a Cabela's gift card for Christmas, and they opened one up in Fort Mill up the road from me. I just checked and they have .44 cal balls in stock, so I may head up there tommorow and pick some up.

By the way, I read somewhere that patching a smoothbore can help with accuracy.

What's your opinion on this?

#6 ·
I used to be a War Between The States reenactor years ago, until I was diagnosed with severe Multiple Sclerosis, and my doctor advised me that heat was not my friend, so marching around in the summer in wool uniforms in full gear kinda killed that, :(. I did some living history stuff for awhile, but my ex-wife was always bitching about me still having gear, so I knew a kid that was really getting into reenacting, so I gave him most of my stuff and sold him my Enfield. Years later I remarried a lady I was friends with in school, but was too stupid to pick up on the signs that she really liked me more than friends, and she is a full on history/reenactment buff, so we will be happily married 7 years next Friday. Unfortunately, my MS, along with Type 1 diabetes I've had since aged 10 has wrecked my body. I'm still mobile, and can get around without assistance, but I fear my "battling days" are over.:(:(:(

We have considered looking into rendezvouz and pow wows and plan on going to a few this year. I've still kept up with my BP weapons(a buddy sold me a spare Enfield he had a few years back) and have taught my wife about loading and shooting them.

I miss reenacting, but I try and share what I know and learned doing it with others:)

#7 ·
If the flash hole (or touch hole) is removable then take that out too. Use a touch of Never-Seez to prevent seizing.

I use a short piece of fuel line that fits in the treaded hole to direct the hot water into a bucket. Then fill the barrel with hot water and use the ramrod and patches to push the water through the barrel. Oil after drying.

#8 ·
Black Powder cleaning formula - use it on my Civil War Era muskets and carbines with never a problem. Ingredients are 1/3, 1/3, 1/3...I usually mix 16 ounces of Murphys Oil Soap; 16 ounces of Alcohol, the 90% variety; 16 ounces of Hydrogen Peroxide. Use on your patch for bore and also on outside. Removes black powder residue. Also can pour some in barrel to loosen caked-up powder in breech and makes it easier to scrape the breech.

#9 ·
I finally got some .44 round balls and live fired it a few minutes ago. Pretty accurate. I got some .005 prelubed patches to use with it, however they made the ball too tight to ram home. I should be alble to use them with round balls in my .58 Enfield. Even shooting patchless balls, I was within a half inch or so where I was aiming at 50yds, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Next, I want to get a couple of flintlocks for my wife and I. I've been looking at Mountain, Plains, and Trade rifles, or possibly a St. Louis Hawken and a Tennessee for her and I.

Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.