Survivalist Forum banner

Best hard cast 220gr ammo for Glock 20

7K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Bwana 
#1 ·
Just purchased a Glock 20. Looking for advice on 220gr hard cast ammo, What brand works best with the Glock. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Personally, I would not fire lead, hard cast or not out of a Glock.
Don't care who makes it, or who says they've done it countless times.

I've had case head failures, autopsied a G21 that let go, etc.
In 30 years of gunsmithing, there are certain things I will not do.
Lead in a polygonal barrel is a no.

These heavy loads in a poly framed gun?
I mentioned the case head failure.
Good thing started with the Delta rather than the G20 that day.
Certain guns don't react well to high velocity pressure release when it involves more
than the barrel.

Glock, jacketed bullets only.
FYI Hornady makes a really nice 200gr Truncated Come bullet.

#6 ·
I'm shooting Missouri Bullet 170 gr Hi-Tek coated bullets from a G-20 with a stock barrel.

As of now, I've been using 10 gr of Blue Dot. Accuracy is decent. I 'm still in the processes of tweaking this load. I am getting "some leading"...it's not a big deal.

It's my opinion that the people who say "No Lead in Glocks" are just regurgitating information that they've read.

I doubt that those same people are re-loaders, casters or have even tried lead in a polygonal barrel.

I think I may load up a few with a slightly lesser charge and see how it works out.

If you a find a load that works for you, post it up. It'll probably help a few people.

Good Luck. :thumb:

#7 ·
I'm pretty sure those saying no lead in polygonal rifles barrels have not looked down barrels with real polygonal rifling. If they ever got a chance to check out a CZ82 they'd understand why lead isn't a good idea in a barrel with real polygonal rifling.

Glock has some kind of hybrid rifling. More like standard rifling with rounded edges. Regular rifled barrels will strip just as much if not more lead from what I've seen. The real issue is those who clean out lead with a few jacked rounds and blow out a case from excessive pressure and look to blame stupid equipment over blaming a stupid shooter. Easier that way and they look like experts like we see here doing what you said. Regurgitating things they've read or heard.

If a shooter does what they should do in any gun they shoot bare lead from and clean all lead before shooting even one jacketed round the rifling type won't matter at all. I've seen in person more than a couple 1911s destroyed because lead was cleaned out with jacked rounds because it's safe to do so. I've never seen a Glock shooter not completely clean lead before shooting jacketed. In part due to some level of paranoia brought on by the never shoot lead in a Glock crowd. A good habit to have formed because it makes for the safest practice.

#12 ·
I regularly shoot hard cast lead through my 9mm Glocks (19 and 17), but I haven't tried it with my 29 yet.
I don't think the rifling is that big a deal really, but with the slightly higher pressures of 10mm I'd check for leading regularly until I was sure it was fine.
Make sure your bullets are sized correctly, and I'd be concerned about the bullet hardness too. I'd imagine too hard would lead to more leading issues. Again, haven't loaded for my 10mm yet, will at some point though.

Worst case scenario, you could get an aftermarket barrel, but I'm not sure you absolutely have to.
JMHO.

ETA: Here's a good article on it by the folks at Buffalo Bore:
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=59

#15 ·
I don't shoot a ton of lead through my G29, but the amount I have has not left any noticeable lead in my barrel. I normally shoot with a lone wolf barrel. I've never bought factory lead so I can't tell you what to buy. I shoot straight ww full power 10mm and don't have a problem. Neither barrel leads up very much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.