Survivalist Forum banner

Best deer cartridge for less than 100 yards?

31K views 108 replies 77 participants last post by  bill tyler 
#1 ·
What would you consider to the best whitetail deer cartridge for shooting less than 100 yards? Let's say 50 - 75 yards.

Southeast Texas, whitetail deer.

Handgun cartridges are acceptable.

I was thinking either a 357 or 44 magnum lever action.

Then again, why not just go with the 30-30 Winchester?

#2 ·
they all will work ,,if I remember right 357 was the smallest cal you could use in Ohio for deer[pistol ] and shotguns for long gun ,,,but if it works out of a short barrel I don't see why it wouldn't in a rifle,,i used a 41 mag and it put deer down at those ranges

seen and shoot a 44 mag in rifle form years ago ,,,and it put black bear down nice so sure it would do deer ,, a 30 -30 will without a problem

with the chance of hogs 357 might be a bit light unless your throwing a heavier bullet,,,and I wonder if in rifle form could you use other rounds in them like a pistol?
im asking I don't know for sure but imagine you could,,so for that reason it might make a slightly better choice

#4 ·
Best Deer cartridge for less than 100 yds

I grew up hunting in East Texas. I remember reading that the 30.30 has taken more whitetail deer than any other rifle in history. While we use a lot of different caliber rifle's the 30.30 is what's used most in that area.

I would go with either the .44mag lever or the 30.30. Either will do what you need with deer and still keep you covered with hogs.

I'm a big fan of the .357mag., carry a 6 inch revolver in the woods often. But If you're buying a rifle to hunt in east Texas I would go bigger.

Of coarse in the end, as you will hear over and over, it's all about shot placement.

Good luck and happy hunting! Semper Fi!

#9 · (Edited)
While I think the 30-30 fits this bill perfectly and has for over a century taken down game from Moose to Deer (and probably Grizzly's too).

With the Hornady Leverevolution projectiles, its making the 357mag a serious deer cartridge and then some, out of a 16"in barrel, all other things considered.

Bonus about the 357mag Lever Action Rifle, you can shoot 38sp as plinking rounds or vermin control and save the Leverevolution for the Deer hunting.

However, check with your local state laws on the minimum requirement (projectile caliber and foot pounds per inch) to legally take down Deer.

#15 ·
I have been using a .22 Hornet for this very application (less than 100 yards) for a number of years now. 1 shot, 1 kill.

Al

Reactions: Optimist
#18 ·
There are plenty of big whitetails in places like South Dakota and Wyoming. I jumped a giant one in WY in deep snow that had to have had antlers over 30 inches wide. It was a muzzleloader hunt so I trailed him to get a better shot. Never found him again that day or the next week.

#25 ·
No such thing as best at that range. There are a multitude of calibers that are more than effective at that range. Pick one you are comfortable with...

For what it's worth, I hunt in the area you mentioned and I've used all three of the calibers you mentioned. However, for the 100 yard range, the 30-30 is best. The 357 and 44 are best for 75 yards or less.

#27 ·
Ive had 4 winchester model 94s, all inherited, all in .32 win spl. All of them worked well on muleys, black bear, hogs and elk. As they are all inherited i didnt have a choice on caliber. The .32 is a little on the plus side from the 30-30, but not by much, in every way except felt recoil, recoil is a little less than the 30-30, noticeably less. I also have a .30-30 winchester model 94. It has also taken its share of the above animals at the ranges you specified. I will say this as a guideline, .30-30 ammo can be found pretty much everywhere, .32 win spl. Not so much. So if you are buying a used gun, double check the caliber stamped on the barrel. The lever evolution ammo from hornady, in my opinion has given lever guns a new lease on life and extended their effective range, if the barrel is in good shape. Shouldnt have any difficulties with white tails in texas or hogs.

#28 ·
my 00.02 cents

We all have an opinion.

Mine is the 30-30 as to best 100 or less yardage for a deer gun.

And the plus is that you can reach out a bit further.

AND take a hog if the chance arrives.

Took my first hog with a Trapper Winchester in just that caliber.

And would use the same for short range bear gun [ black bear,NOT larger ].

#29 ·
.458 socom. Was one of the few approved rifle cartridges for deer in Indiana when I lived there. Main reason why I got into it.
AR platform
Good hunting loads available
Great on deer and hogs (from first hand use)
Very very good chance you won't need to spend time following blood trail.
Suppressor if legal in your area

#32 ·
7.62mm x 39mm 124 gr HP by WPA (AKA: AK47 ammo). Get a cheap AK47 or SKS to shoot it, It's cheap (i got 1,000 rnds for about $.25 each - when ammo was going up in price). It will get the job done at 50-75 yds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.