Survivalist Forum banner

New Moras first impressions

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Cliff Nieporte 
#1 ·
So I finally had some extra cash lying around and decided to get the new Moras I have been seeing on the inter webs, the one from last year and the two new ones. Its been a while since I did a product review and I though I would like to try it out. Here are my initial impression after a weekend out with the boyscouts. Also they are all stainless and I will not spend any time here debating the benefits of stainless vs carbon steel.

Garberg: This is a stout knife and you can definitely feel its weight in your hand. It is not too heavy to use and I did not find myself getting tired with it. Honestly I like it better than my Brothers of Bushcraft knife from TOPS which is more expensive. This has a good weight and feel to it for a full tang knife. It made feather sticks with no trouble, split small logs via battening without a problem and overall performed all the task I would expect a full tang knife to do. I found the handle to be very comfortable and easy to use. Honestly I think this will become my new primary blade. It also threw very well though it balance point is not quite at center, the only reason I know this is that I was running the Tomahawk and Knife throwing station for the camp out and figured why not, and once i found its balance point it threw well every time. I don't recommend it as a throwing knife but in a pinch it will work.

Kansbol: This was a great blade and has replaced my bushcraft black as my primary bushcraft knife and I absolutely loved the bushcraft black. It has a similar blade size to the Garberg but is thinner and has a slightly different grind profile similar to the Mora 2000. The boys got their fire going for the night but did not have enough small sticks, I grabbed a medium size piece of Ash Juniper about two inches think and started in on it making large shaving with this knife as it was what I had on me at the time and it ate through the wood like it was butter. It was great at notching and better than the Garberg at making feather sticks. It also is very light for its size and I honestly forgot I was wearing it on my belt.

Eldris: I have the knife and the neck knife kit and wore it as such. This has a short blade only 2.2 inches and it works great for its intended tasks, making feather sticks, cutting cord and is an exceptional carving knife. It has a nice beefy handle which does not tire out your hand like some small neck knives do and is very comfortable to use for an extended amount of time. As a backup blade or a neck knife its great however I would not consider it a primary blade as it is too short to do many tasks including food prep.

All the knives threw sparks wonderfully and worked great as a scraper for making tinder as they have a very sharp 90 degree spine and I would recommend any of them as a bushcraft knife and the Garberg would make a fair general survival knife. I will upload some pics when I get them taken but I wanted to give you guys an initial impression. I will probably be selling some of my higher end knives the I don't ever use and these will become my mainstays.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.