Survivalist Forum banner

How Do I Succeed In Snaring??

5K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  MarkfromMD 
#1 ·
I set snares all over my woods for squirral and ground hogs IVE NEVER BEEN SUCCESSFUL YET, theres some camo para cord type twine at wal-mart for a 1.50 is there a certain wire i should use? you have success with snares?

#3 ·
the best thing is just go buy some snares,they are pretty cheap,and after seeing them it will give you an idea if you want to make homemade ones,though i would just buy some.the snare shop in iowa is a good place to start.www.snareshop.com.or sterling fur in sterling,ohio has them,its in wayne county if you are close.maybe get a book about it also.
for groundhogs i would go with a 5" loop about 3-4" from the ground,in trails that come from their holes,where it gets weedy or brushy and narrows down,you can further narrow it with a few sticks if needed,just not too many to seem out of place.i support all my snares with a piece of wire that is straight to almost the end then i bend it into the shape of a w,then slip the snare into the w with the loop hanging under it,push each part of the w opposite ways to hold the snare,all this is done after the snare and the w wire are secured to a small tree or something.no bait needed just set for them on their trails.hope this helps,if you arent sure i would get a book,get ahold of either place i mentioned and they will set you up.

#7 ·
Braided picture wire works well as already stated, I've also used industrial armouring wire used to protect heavy duty electrical cable.
You know what you want to catch, but how well do you know it? If you have time or intend to make a serious go of it, it'd do well to study you're intended prey habits tracks pathing watering spots and so on and so forth. If your using wire straight out the packaging that might have a detrimental effect on your efforts, as the scents your leaving behind maybe alien or act as an alarm bell to your intended prey.
Professional snares will more than likely be better then homemade if your unsure. There's a guy called Buckshot allot of guys states side recommend for all your trapping needs.
http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Ent-BS-Camp.htm

#10 ·
As others have said previously, snares are really a trail option; not like a foothold where you just set a cubby and go. IF you want to use bait, I do know of others who have been successful setting a bait pile and then placing 7-10 snares in areas where they funneled the animals.
BTW, I would suggest buying at least a dozen snares, then see how they work. I picked up a 500 foot coil of aircraft cable (wire rope) CHEAP at a local supplier and make my own locks and ferrels. You can also make your own swivels. If any one wants information, I'm willing to provide... just ask.

#12 ·
I am with you on not being successful :(

Do you ever watch Survivorman? There is 2 episodes I know of where he sets traps and is successful in each show.

One with snares in Canada (snow episode with snares)
One in the Desert canyons (traps with rock and sticks)

I have tried both with no success and I cant even get the stick and rock one to work.

#17 ·
I've done it sucessfully, but like most things its almost an artform in itself. Its more about telling how and where and animals trail or run lays. Here in Michigan I can easily tell where say a rabbit trail run is when I pass one. But if I was in an area I did not know like say the Arizona desert I would be at a disadvantage.

Honestly I have come up empty more times vs catching something. But thems the breaks. Snares are super easy to set up so your not wasting much energy by at least trying one. But like in any survival situation I would NEVER depend upon one food source. After you set up a snare go fishing,forage for veggies and fruit or do something else.

#18 ·
Yeah, just a small piece of rabbit snare wire is good enough for the squirrels. You don't really need bait unless you want to attract other species.

You have to look for a "lead" which is the daily path of the animal. It is usually some worn-down grass, cracked twigs, etc. in a line. Just set a snare between two trees that the lead goes through and you should have yourself the animal within a day or two.

Glad to help,

SgtPepper

#20 ·
If you absolutely positively have to kill every...... in the room....

Not recommended at all from a game management position, if your on the move and can't wait a couple days for success, or only want a brief hunt to avoid detection.....

Go to the edges of the opens where forest meets field. Set your snares on every run along the edge as far as they will go. 3 dz small avg. is the minimum if there are several drivers. Then line up and beat the brush and drive them into the line. If the line is set in the dark drive from the field to the forest. If the line is set in the day drive from forest to field. at end of drive pick them up and move to new edges if needed. Deer works the same but funnels and choke points as well as edges. Three sets is an easy day and good hunting dogs can help in the drive.

#21 ·
have you tried a squirrel pole? multiple snares about an inch of two off a ~5ft branch or stick

lean the branch against a tree, no snares for the first foot or last foot so the squirrels cant get a foothold and chew their way out if they get caught.

fill the center ~3ft with snares so that any squirrel running up or down the branch will hit one, fall off the branch, and hang itself

lemme know if you need more clarification, its a little awkward to try and explain, i think i first read about the technique in the us army SURVIVAL manual, lots of good tips in there if you can find one for cheap mines the 1992 declassified version i think

#22 ·
Jeez. guys. If you are thinking ahead of troubled times, why not buy some traps to use? You can get all sorts of traps to snag squirrels. Big ones. Little ones. Heck, you could even get some rat and/or mice traps stake them to a fence, tree or other anchoring device and set them out. Think about it. Squirrels are rodents, right? You can probably use other rodent traps to catch them. Why make this such a big hassle? The squirrel comes over to your rodent trap, tries to eat the peanut butter you have smeared on the trigger device and....SNAP... You've got your squirrel for dinner. But like I say, make sure that your traps are secured to something so that they don't get dragged away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.