Survivalist Forum banner

When SHTF is every day life

6K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  Nomad 2nd 
#1 ·
On the PIVOT network there is a series of documentaries named Angry Planet on various societies that would never know or worry about what most of us post on here about.

There is no grid to get off of, no cell, ham, satellite, refridgeration, only rudimentary medical, etc.. It is old style subsistence living. If a planetary event happens, no matter your preps, most of us civilized folks won't make it.

So, after we are all dead and gone, the aboriginal societies will inherit whats left. AND they won't even know it happened !!

As for me, I will make it as long as I can, but I don't see any long term future in it. Make way for the next top of the food chain beings, or bugs. In another million years, there won't be any evidence of our 'advanced' society.

#4 ·
you are not exactly Little Mr. Sunshine today Grumpy...

yup, life sucks and then we die...

pardon me for a moment my cup of Hemlock is cooling off..

I just came home from having a beer at the tavern with my buddy who is 90,, and his lovely wife... if I paused for a moment,, I would have to realize we likely will not be doing that .several years from now....one of us will be leaving first , which one , can't say...hard to face reality ,,, so most of us just ignore it as long as we can...

btw, I asked his wife, who is of similar age (their son died at 65) what she would like me to push on th jukebox, and she said Led Zeppelin...

#5 ·
when the initial SHTF event is over, what is left IS normal life, it will just be different to what most people have ever experienced, my belief is we will go back to a pre industrial subsistence farming lifestyle. many who are not prepared or not willing to live like that wont make it, but a remnant of the human race will survive-a few always do-it has happened before and will again- to carry on albeit at a slower pace of life.

#13 ·
Humans are the most adaptable animals on the planet. We live, not just survive, from blistering desert heat, to tropical rain forest, to arctic tundra, to elevations above 12,000 feet. It is unlikely that any human activity, including thermonuclear, will completely eliminate all humans. We will survive, we will adapt, and we will flourish again. What society will look like is anybody's guess.

#14 ·
I broke my back and neck in 1983 which left me with nerve damage and a LOT of pain m I have had 3 shoulder surgeries and am having BOTH of my hands operated on next week , My lovely wife of 30 years got spine cancer which left her a papraplegic 29 years ago and then we put a house up on 2 acres that I bought from my grandma's estate , It is in the boonies (which I love) and the first 3 winters here were bad , we lost power numerous times and had to heat with our woodburning fireplace and haul water from town , I have since bought a genny and fortified my water supply as well as keeping the larder stocked with food enough to get thru an initial crisis ! I might be considered a prepare but prefer to just be ready for anything lol !!

#21 ·
It all comes down to if we are talking SHTF or a global TEOTWAWKI type event as far as I am concerned.

In a end of the world scenario, I think the tech and such will give a bit of an edge. This is especially true as most indigenous people have become so enculturated to modern over traditional life that most "aboriginal" populations are on the edge of losing their native traditions and skills.

I saw an episode of "Bushcraft" with Ray Mears years ago where he was in a rainforest and had to teach the local indigenous people how to start a fire using their traditional methods since none of them knew how what with lighters and matches and such.

There are darn few populations today that can live truly untouched from the outside world. While they may live without electricity and such they do trade with and have contact with "city people" for modern goods ranging from batteries, fuel and clothing to alcohol, cigarettes, and food. I have seen two different populations where the "indigenous hunters" had .22LR and Buck Knives.

Reactions: Nomad 2nd
#22 ·
It all comes down to if we are talking SHTF or a global TEOTWAWKI type event as far as I am concerned.

In a end of the world scenario, I think the tech and such will give a bit of an edge.
depends on how long all of this stuff lasts, in a SLOW collapse with more survivors stuff will be used up fast, in a FAST collapse less survivors but more stuff for them to use, but at some point it will ALL be used up so either learn to repair and make it yourself or learn to do without it.

#33 ·
I remember when you had to prove you didn't need the money, and had viable assets, before you could get a loan.
Now days they hardly ask.
Had my own events through life that made things interesting/stressful.
Injuries do slow you down ,problem is adjusting to the slow down, and not gaining weight.
Young , you can whip your weight in wild cats,
Older , you need a gun to keep them at bay.
A recommendation however to the elderly though,
While you still can remember things , write them down for your children/ grand children.
One of the things I treasured , was reading and listening to older folk and what life was like for them growing up ,.I learned volumes.
The other thing it did is provide a legacy/history, a trail of life that brought about my own existence and giving it more meaning .
I wish my grand parents had taken more interest in sharing their lives so we had more to work with in the future. the good and the bad , shows you are human and as vulnerable as any one else.
It also gives a heads up on chid hood deceases and maladies that are inevitable .
It may be embarrassing but important to note if you've done drugs and as a result the possibility of genetic deformities may have been the result down the line.
Share the good times and the bad and misfortune and the skills it took to over come the challenge.
Honesty matters ,if you can't be honest over and event, don't bring up the subject. there are plenty of other things to talk about find them and dig deep.
Deep as you possibly can.
It's good mind exercise too . the more you push your self the better , eventually stuff will come to you.
I have boxes of spiral note books I have written thorough the years like a journal ,and is good practice as well.
The beauty is no one will see the writings till after your gone to argue with you. It's your POV .
There are tricks I have for doing mechanic work that you don't learn in school , these kind of things my future generations may find advantageous, or not.
But leaving it for them lets them know I care, even if I'm not there.
food for thought

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.