Survivalist Forum banner

What would you rather do in case of SHTF?

• Bug out by boat or sailboat to a deserted island

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Bug out by vehicle to the wilderness

Votes: 19 46.3%

Bugging out by boat when SHTF

10K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Goblin X 
#1 ·
So I found this video recently.

This guy has a yacht for bugging out. In case of SHTF he could escape to a deserted island by sea for months for maybe even years at a time. But he says ocean survival is way harder than land survival. Do you agree?

#2 ·
I agree with the mind set.
Positive attitude toward survival, or any thing, is the lubricant that carries rough things through hard places .
A soldier not sold on the fight, will only be there for his own survival, but a man invested in the fight, will invest a great deal of his own into it, beyond himself and will likely be more victorious through it .
The BBC did a documentary on "surviving disaster " some good strong lessons there.

If I had the means ,an island would be nice , but I would make the same preparations or more than I would on the mainland.
Threats that can afford to get there, will be significant, and prepared for resistance.

#3 ·
You don't have to stay on the sea. Find a deserted island with good water and food sources. Hopefully fish will be a main part of your diet.

I'd bring as many luxury items as the boat could hold, such as tents, ammo, all the other stuff that you might like. Heck, if there was a small group and some could stay and look after things I'd make several trips bringing what needs to be brought.

Inevitable someone else would see your boat and drop in and then the unpredictable human dangers are there. It might be great! It might not.

#7 ·
my brother and I,, his son, and others of our family and friends , spent some time in the Coast Guard me chasin down smugglers and my brother as a deck gunner on an 82 boat in 'Nam

a cigarette boat and a couple guys with AKs could ruin your whole day

it happens

you are pretty safe from rioting mobs if you are out a ways, on the water , certainly if beyond rifle range,, but Incredibly vulnerable to raiders in other boats,

they do not even have to be able to shoot skinny little You,, if they can hit your vessel

now the Island idea is a another story,,, with proper defenses and a 24/7 watch maintained.......

#9 ·
Not a bad idea depending on the boat, your skills at sea and where you plan to go. The various trawler type boats get pretty decent mileage and long range and carry way more than a sailboat. That said, it's a BOV and not a BOL. You still need a BOL if you choose this route. In my neck of the woods it might be one of the barrier islands off the northern gulf coast.

#13 ·
We're based in Sydney, Australia. But we're from New Zealand. So our thoughts have been that when SHTF that trying to live through it in Australia is going to be to hard with having so many people around. We do have a 400 acre bushland lot we can bug out to. But we still think Nz will be out best option as we know the lay of the land a lot better. And a lot easier. Plus the area I'm from is relatively small. And we could get pretty close to a beach near our bug out location.

We are looking at a sail boat with a good engine in it aswell for the days there's no wind. Or just for a emergency.
Stock it up with as many supplies as possible. And also will need a row boat to get to land if we cannot get to a dock. We would carry bottled water aswell as have one of this osmosis machines I think it is to convert sea water to potable water.

We hope this will help is in the long run. But for now it'll be used for short trips around Australia.

#14 ·
I have often wondered about this as it pertains to rivers. Seems like everybody and their brother has something that will float. If the roads were shut down, how many would decide to try their luck playing Huck Finn floating down the Mississippi? What kind of problems could that cause in little river towns and at choke points like lock and dams? Things could get interesting I think.

#17 ·
Just consider how vulnerable you are in a boat of any size.. If Somali pirates can take down huge ships from a small boat, just consider what your chances are.. When you board your boat you have just lost any avenues of escape..You will become prey for those who are relying on you, and folks like you, for their survival... They will be 'merciless', with illegal heavy fire power that you will not have..

IMO..A small island is just one step up from a boat..Again, it will be nearly impossible to defend 24/7..
For you to survive on a boat for a long period of time, you would have to become a pirate yourself..
Not to mention the storms you would have to survive...And good luck trying to find a 'friendly' port..

http://www.marsecreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Somali-Pirates1.jpg

#18 ·
The problems are the same on a boat, as with any land-going BOV; the island the same as the fort people are planning to defend.

Kayaks, canoes, small runabouts and trawlers offer flexibility and mobility - just like horses, ATVs, snowmobilies. I guess it just depends on what you're comfortable with, you know?

#20 ·
they don't call em deserted islands for nothing. I wont o to sea again on anything smaller than a Tin can, small boats are great, did my share and then some, from z's, PBRs, MSB's and MSO's,. rouge waves, dead calms, thunder storms, Cyclones, Hurricanes, raiders arn'et your biggest problem, mother nature is. if your a experienced and seasoned salt, go for it. if you just seen pictures, maybe tacked around a harbor somewhere on a 17 footer, don't bother, someone will be just salvaging whats left grounded on a reef, or jetty somewhere.... the sea is beautiful, but shes not a forgving lover. and she doesn't tolerate the ill equipped or unprepared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.