Survivalist Forum banner

making a tomahawk

15K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Creek Walker 
#1 ·
I am going to try to make a tomahawk, then later after I get that down, I'm going to make a francheska,(not spelled right) the french tomahawk that was so effective way back when.
any pointers/advice/instruction would help. and I'd apreciate it a lot.

#13 ·
Hello,
My idea is to use cold rolled steel and hardface it like the farmers do to the digging tools. I forget the welding rod they use but it's tensile strength is about 3 times that of steel (~140,000 psi). If you can cut and weld steel you should have no problem shaping the tomahawk.
They are tough to sharpen. But what an edge! Cut, dig, and maul dirt, trees, car bodies, cinderblock, and flesh. Need I say more?
Google "hardfacing steel"

Peace,
Subs

#17 ·
My grandfather had one he had made himself when he was a kid back on the 'rez. Simple but effective, not the style your going for tho. His was a knapped piece of obsidian (knapped into almost an axehead shape) then the haft was basically a stick split down the center wedged the head in between and wrapped rawhide above and below the split to keep it from splitting further. Dunno if they used anything else to bind it together but His was still damned sharp and still holding up when he showed it to me when he was 87...
A steel one like you are thinking of, especially one hardfaced and done out of tempered steel... much more practical thesedays. I'm trying to get back to being off the grid as much as possible, so I prefer to think without power and say an oxyacetylene torch. But I might try out your ideas myself. Let me know how it goes.

#20 ·
Good luck, make sure we get lots of pictures and do a sticky. I have been wanting one but not gotten around to ordering it. So lets see what you can do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.