Survivalist Forum banner

OKC Rat 1A review

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Wracked 
#1 ·
This knife is a beast.
Alot of reviews on this knife talk about the higher cost of this knife negating the price/quality value of the normal rat 1, but the way I see it, a good knife is a good knife. Super solid lockup and this thing shoots out with authority. I agree that okc could have used a higher quality steel, and I would have been more than happy to pay more for s30v but there is absolutely nothing wrong with aus8. This isn't the most attractive knife (in my opinion at least) but the feel of the handle and the practicality of the blade more than make up for that. The only issue I can find with this knife is the safety. It slides rather loosely and doesn't like to stay in one position or the other, but for $45 what can you expect? And honestly I don't quite consider this an issue. At least it's not sticky. The entire construction of this knife, from the liner lock to the spring assist is solid as hell. Oh, and this thing is huge. Pictures really don't do it justice in this sense. If you're looking for a cheap, dependable assisted opening knife then this thing is for you. I cant think of any reason to tell anybody to not buy it, even over the standard rat 1.

#2 ·
I am hard pressed to think that AO will improve on the opening time of a great knife. I also fail to see how an unreliable safety on an AO knife can be classified as anything but a FAIL. I went digging through the interwebz for reviews, and came across a cautionary mention that the safety was unreliable and the knife opened in his pocket. Tell me how this is different than an unreliable firearm safety system, say on a Bryco, Jennings, Jimenez? If you think a knife unexpectedly opening in your pocket is less dangerous, Google femoral artery. This is just my opinion, your money, your call.

#3 ·
I really don't see how this knife could open in someone's pocket as it takes a reasonable amount of force to initiate the spring. May have just been a fluke.
On this particular knife I really appreciate the AO. It's extremely sturdy and under normal circumstances I don't see it failing or wearing out for a very long time. But let's say that both the safety and the spring are complete crap (which they really really arent) and they both stop working 6 months from now. That leaves me with 2 options
1. Keep it as it is and just use it as a standard manual rat 1
Or
2. Send it in for a replacement
I'm a big fan of open assist, not because it's faster but because it's easier to open. It's called assisted open and not fast open for a reason.
This is all purely opinion but for me personally, this knife couldn't be better.
Also, the femeral artery is on the inside of your leg, so unless you have it clipped to the underside of your groin there's not too much to be worried about there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.