Survivalist Forum banner

.357 Magnum vs. .38 Special?

78K views 67 replies 54 participants last post by  ksmedman 
#1 ·
I'd like to start off by saying that this is NOT another one of those pointless "which is better" threads (whew :cool:) I'm just going to ask which would be better for my needs. I realize that with a .357 Magnum you can shoot either for more versatility, but I really only intend for it to be a self defence weapon, maybe to go in the glovebox and temporarily as a home defence "nightstand" gun until I can get a Mossy 500 Field/Home combo. Also as a fun gun to punch paper with and blow crap up with, but hey, all my guns do that :D:

I intend on using it as a backup weapon for SHTF, because IMO in a SHTF scenario really a handgun of any kind should only be used as a backup weapon if your rifle or shotgun malfunctions or for some odd reason, it isn't on your person (which it probably should be at all times. I don't intend to use it for hunting. Although loaded with snakeshot it would make a good snake gun... but I already have my Rossi .410 for that.

So what i'm really asking is, do I really need to save up the extra money for a .357? Or would a .38 Special suit my needs? Well actually, it'll probably end up being a Christmas gift, but since my family's kinda broke, money is still an object.

#59 ·
The Problem your dad/uncle is probably based partly on not wearing ear protection, and partly running hot .357s in a medium frame . the Model 66 is a medium frame- the K frame, designed for .38s originally. I run a lot more .38s thru my GP ( and other magnums I have owned) than I do magnums. When I do run magnums, they aren't loaded full house either- more like really hot .38s.

Part of it could also be a matter of trigger control. Ammo could be another part of it.

#60 ·
Since most people can't even shoot a 38 Special with Plus P loads, it doesn't really matter. If you find a good deal on a used 38 in a name brand, buy it and practice with it until you become a decent shot. Using hollow points in the 38 will get the job done. All things being equal, buying a pistol that shoots 357 and 38 is also a good way to go.

If you want to get the job done withoug wquestion do what Dirty Harry did and get a 44 Mag.

#61 ·
357 vs 38 special

well I've been shooting pistol for over 30 years and if I was in your shoes I would buy a 357. either a Smith model 28 27 model 586. 686 or a Ruger security six or a GP 100 . if you fire too many 38 specials out of a 357 you will get a ring in the cylinder if you don;t clean it properly.

it's so easy to reload for a revolver . you can make barn burners or power puff rounds . I like it when flames come out the end of the gun or I get bord fast . as for the others that said some new Remington shotguns were garbage I have heard the same . and someone said the safety's on new Mossberg shotguns are falling off well that would'nt stop me from buying one .

the first thing your susposed to buy after buying a new gun is to have some fun with it to see how it functions and then strip it down and check it over. and if you afraid something is going to fall off or a screw is going to back out and render your firearm out of service at the most inopertune time which makes me crazy then for heavens sake put some lock tite blue on the treads to keep things together.

clean all the oil off the treads with lighter fluid first. good luck on your choice my friend and most of all when you go to buy something stick to your guns- no pun intended cause some people at gunshops will try to talk you into buying what they can't sell .

#63 ·
Youngprepper77 I don't want to school you, you sound like you know your firearms. As far as so called bigout bags remember you don't want a huge backpack. It will slow you down and you will be a target. Even though you are armed you don't want to have to fight for what you have. You want to look scummy like someone has already robbed you. Buy some britches with a bunch of pockets and stuff your clothes you are wearing with what you need. I am not saying a bugout bag is wrong what I am saying is be careful when SHTF. Any kind of people I don't care how good they are now they will do anything for water and food etc... Blend in and carry what you can without being noticeable. Some may disagree. Any thoughts? I know I got off subject about the topic what I am saying is even if you are armed you don't want to have to use it.

#64 ·
357 is completely underestimated IMHO.
I know you're talking about a pistol, but a decent 4"-6" revo can hold up to 8 rounds, not shabby. SD/HD you won't be under gunned.
357 in a lever gun can defeat body armor, take a deer, kill pretty much anything you need to kill. It's the real deal, esp in a 158gr hardcast.

Now I would say that if you're going to need a pistol SHTF, you might want to get something that has higher capacity, and is easy to conceal. No pistol round is a great 'man stopper,' so you'll need more than one. Or two, or even five.
Having 15-17 rounds on tap is a good feeling...

#66 ·
Buy the .357, for long term versatility and sue 38's if you want...you always have the option but if you buy a 38, that's all you have...you are aware that the 357 shoots 5 different calibers?...the 38 doesn't..I outfitted all four of my family members with 357's and load 38 +P in the kids guns....SHTF, you can shoot whatever you pick up...JMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.