Survivalist Forum banner

How Do You EMP Proof A Small Container?

7K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  America's Patriot 
#1 ·
I want to be able to EMP proof a small container for a USB flash drive. Now Ive done light research and Ive learned that there is a full spectrum of frequencies that will need to be blocked. So Im guessing this wont be simple. I was thinking of buying a small waterproof container made of aluminum. Something like the matchcap xl and maybe wrapping it with some other metal? Is this even possible? Maybe wrapping it in some type of metallic tape? Any ideas?

Heres what a matchcap looks like:

See less See more
#2 ·
If that container is metal, simply wrap the thumb drive in several layers of paper so it cannot touch the inside of the tube, and then screw the cap back on. It will be protected completely.

Just my opinion.

#13 ·
Plus new computer built after a EMP will be just fine.
That made me laugh - Thanks. Do you mean a computer build outside of the area effected by the EMP? Without transportation, how are you going to get that computer?
Don't worry about it. Who cares what my intentions are? I'm saving something's for the long term. I asked a question and if you don't have any input, then just don't answer.

#14 ·
Mr. Young did provide an acceptable answer in post #2. Lightnin' pointed out that the cap and body must have good conductivity to be effective in post #3. That pretty much covered the question.

Then the conversation progressed beyond the initial questions. Other good points you might want to consider. If they are family photo's - makes sense that they only need to be preserved, not accessed until after the fan stops spinning. If your information is survival related or has deeds to your property, you may need to access such items early - before BestBuy reopens. (Sometimes were are too helpful, sometimes were are not).

You may also need help protecting a computer or something to read the Flash drive. We just don't like to ask direct questions -- so we throw out other smart ass comments.

Back to your OP:

Any conductive envelope will protect your device. Your pictured device looks like it will also protect your flash drive from water and even crushing forces.

Make sure you have an insulation layer inside of the envelope. You can even use nested EMP cages. Provide insulation between each cage. Each layer will add another level of protection. If your threads did not seal, a nested cage would provide protection.

An effective EMP shield can be made with alternating layers of plastic and AL foil. Wrap you drive in cellophane, plastic, or paper. Wrap in foil. Wrap that in insulation and the foil again. Then a third or fourth time just to be an extremist.

You might be able to use the plastic/foil method to seal up a cheap eBook reader.

#17 ·
Different tool for a different purpose. USB drives are not highly sensitive.

All hats jokes aside, tinfoil will do much better. The parts inside also need to be insulated from the foil shell. Any joker who has pulled off the toilet/saran wrap trick can help you out win some insulation material. Zip lock bags will work also.

#19 ·
Yes. Any conductive container. The conductivity must be consistent from the container to the cover.

(The Antistatic bags have low conductivity . . . just enough to discharge any static charge. The isolation between the inside and outside of the antistatic bag is unknown, so an isolation barrier there would be indicated. )

#20 ·
Just use a cake pan or any other completely enclosed container made of conductive metal. I don't believe that you'd even need to electrically insulate the contents from the container although it wouldn't hurt. Radios and other electronics for SHTF should be stored in this manner. But be careful about any dampness and condensation that could damage them inside. If you live in a damp place you should included something inside to absorb moisture.

#21 ·
The electronics do need to be isolated from the container. Cardboard is fine. So is bubble wrap.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: 9111315
#22 ·
If not insulated, then would you want to run a conductor from the electromagnetic screen to the most sensitive circuitry in the CPU?

The voltage of the faraday cage will fluctuate wildly as the electromagnetic waves pass by. The items inside must be isolated from that fluctuation.

#23 ·
I think you need to read up on faraday cages- if you have wildly varying voltages, you don't have a fairday cage.

Professional faraday cages nearly allways ground the equipment for safety and performance reasons. Ditto on near fairday cages such as naval ships and C3I aircraft

#25 ·
ok, sorry to drag out emp question but it is important to me. On another thread, I gathered a cheap used microwave will protect from emp. I think of various microwaves i have seen... some painted, some stainless steel, etc. Is an old microwave a legit way to store a small number of electrical components? Thanks in advance.

#26 ·
No. Not with the cord cut off, not with the power blades pulled out and the grounding pin plugged in, not if set with the door down, not with metallic tape around the door.

Just flat no.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: CONELRAD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.