Survivalist Forum banner

.40 S&W Revolver?

30K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  Optimist 
#1 ·
I am looking for a revolver that is chambered in .40 S&W. I have heard of some that are for 10mm but will also fire the .40 much like a .357/.38special. I can't remember the make and model of that gun though. Do any of you own one of these? I have a few guns all in .40 and I would like to have a revolver in the same caliber for my wife. Thanks for the help.

#5 ·
Only the S&W 610 and 310 right now. It's an N frame gun. I hunted once with a buddies 6.5" classic but it's not a size efficient gun for the caliber. Like the others said, they will also shoot 40 S&W in the moon clips although I never tried. It is however, very, very accurate.

Can still get either of them but if I had to choose a dual caliber revolver, it would be 45 Colt/ACP with the simple moon clip conversion available on most any of them. I would look at the Ruger Redhawk.

#10 ·
40 was designed for a semi auto. In a revolver there is gas escape at the cylinder gap. Makes your 40 into a peashooter... Think: 380 semi auto, about same power as a 38 spl out of a revolver. That said its a cool idea for one caliber choice if you prefer revolvers...

#11 ·
A peashooter? Really, how do you figure?

I'm afraid that you should really do some research on cylinder gap loss and actual velocity numbers before making statements such as this.

For example, even if you did lose say, 200fps (which you wouldn't), the .40 with a 180gr bullet will still have more energy than a 158gr .38 caliber bullet at the same velocity, say 750-800fps. Mass = retained energy.

#12 ·
I own a S&W semi auto SD40VE. I have never seen a 40 cal revolver are they new? Wouldn't you have to use moon clips or a special kind of boat tail style 40 cal ammo so your ammo ain't flopping around and or falling out? Regardless I'd not try and use 10MM ammo in one if I were you for the above mentioned reasons and more. I would love to see a picture of that 40 cal S&W revolver cylinder design. Now, I am not calling you a liar or full of bull but a 40 cal revolver sounds kind of fishy to me. Plus I love to be proven wrong that is how I learn new things! Heck I tell people I own two S&W 41 magnums and 75% of them look at me like I crazy!
God bless you and yours!
Semper Fidelis.

#18 ·
Hmm, odd zombie thread...

That said, why would one look for a revolver in 40 or frankly 10mm? I am a big fan of the 10mm but don't care for 40 personally. That aside, there are semis that run these round, but obviously not both. Additionally, there are a multitude of revolver rounds that fit most needs.

Not a slam, but I am curious why the need. Just to shoot 10mm and 40 out of a gun?

#21 ·
Several friends and I are having Ruger .357/9mm Blackhawk convertibles rebarreled and the cylinders rechambered for .40 S&W and 10mm Auto. Manson is making the reamers and we are using Green Mountain barrel stock. Gunsmithing to do this is straight-forward.

We are also having reamers and gages done for a wildcat based on .44 Special brass necked to .40 cal. with .424" chamber neck, same as 10mm Auto, with 0.3" long neck, case trimmed with same shoulder angle and diameter as .38-40, and base diameter ahead of rim same as .44 Special. Case capacity same as 10mm Auto, with rimmed case. Also having a Marlin 1894 redone to this, design concept is 1 inch case, 1.5" overall cartridge length, 1/2oz. bullet at 900 fps revolver, 1200 fps rifle.

No critique needed, we are spending our money to have the tools made, Manson making reamers and gages for .40/.44 Special Short 1-inch, and Redding has the die order. Having extra .40 S&W and 10mm Auto cylinders for the wheelguns is just icing the cake, because we can.

#23 ·
I have a Ruger Vaquero in .40 I bought in 2000. Great fun to shoot.

#25 ·
I picked up one of those S&W revolvers in 10mm 40 S&W at a gun shop to look at and it was one of the nicest pointing revolvers I have ever held in my hand. it was a 5 inch barrel . just the way it balanced . but the sticker price was too much for me . if I saw a deal on one I wouldn't hesitate to buy one .

nice alternative .a smoking 10mm or a 40 S&W. the best of both worlds. someone said it would affect the ballistics of the 40 cartage ?? my question is how ??

#27 ·
Seeing as they make the Pitbull in .45 ACP, I guess my interest in a .40 is waning...

...nice alternative .a smoking 10mm or a 40 S&W. the best of both worlds. someone said it would affect the ballistics of the 40 cartage ?? my question is how ??
You'll lose about 150-200 feet a second from a vented barrel, depending on barrel length.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.