Survivalist Forum banner
9K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  teotwawki12 
#1 · (Edited)
The first picture is straight out of the pond on my property . The picture of the glass shows how clear no smell tastes good . excellent for 29$ filter .5 micron

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, xm193. I saw these filters in the catalog that arrived today. $29. ain't cheap but it's cheaper than the $50. everyone else wants. I was wondering if they were any good and here's your post! I noted that the ad says "doesn't kill viruses". Is this true also for the name brand filters? I have a Katadyn Gravitron. The ad also said you can wash their filters up to 100 times. Is that true also for the name brand? I quit using my filter for daily use because at almost $200.00 (including shipping & handling) I just couldn't keep replacing those filters every 3 months.

Thank you so much for sharing your research with us.

#4 ·
#10 ·
Viruses can be as small as .02-.05 microns so the .5 micron size wouldn't eliminate the viruses. Adding 1 drop of bleach per pint (500ml) would take care of that problem for you. Double to 2 drops if the water is cloudy.

Bleach (4-6% strength)required to kill viruses
(Double if water cloudy)

1 Pint (500ml) 1 drop
1 Quart (1000ml or 1 L) 2 drops
1 Gallon (4 liters) 8 drops
5 Gallons (20 Liters) 40 drops or 1/2 tsp

Make sure to use unscented bleach that is 4-6% in strength - most bottles of laundry bleach are in this range.
If it is 7-10% then cut required doses in half.
If it is 1% then use 10 drops per quart and adjust measurements accordingly.

Add bleach
Mix thoroughly
Let stand for 30 minutes before use

#22 ·
No filter filters out viruses - you have to get a water purifier to do that. There are water purifiers for the same price and handling capacity as filters, such as the Sawyer .02 micron one.

The problem with a .5 micron water filter is that is does not filter out bacteria which is/are common. It probably also does not filter out many chemicals.

#23 ·
here are the specs
Product is manufactured to meet:

National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 42
National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 53
ISO 9002 Quality Standard
USA AEL Laboratories
USA Analytical Food Laboratories
USA Johns Hopkins University
British 5750 Quality Standard
England’s Water Research council (WRc) Performance Standards

The filtration efficiency is 0.5 micron
Removal capabilities as follows:

>99% Arsenic 5 and 99% Arsenic 3 (special order)
>99% Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
>95% Chlorine and Chloramines
>99% Taste
>99% Odor
>98% Aluminum
>96% Iron
>98% Lead
>90% Pesticides
>85% Herbicides
>85% Insecticides
>90% Rodenticides
>85% Phenols
>85% MTBE
>85% Perchlorate
>80% Trihalomethanes
>95% Poly Aromatic Hydrocarbons
>99.999% of particles larger than 0.5 micron (Staffordshire University Labs) (includes Anthrax)
>99.7% of particles larger than 0.3 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
>98% of particles larger than 0.2 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
>100% Giardia Lamblia
>100% Cyclospora
>100% removal of live Cryptosporidium (WRc Standard)
>100% removal of Cryptosporidium (NSF Standard 53 – A.C. fine dust – 4 log challenge)
>100% removal of E. Coli, Vibrio Cholerae (Johns Hopkins University)
>99.999% removal of Salmonella Typhil, Sh
Product is silver impregnated

and will not permit bacteria growth-through (mitosis)
provides a hostile environment for all microbiological organisms and will not support their growth
Ceramic elements may be cleaned 100 or more times with a soft brush or damp cloth.

#26 ·
Being manufactured to meet and actually meeting (and being certified by an independent lab) are two different things. I am not an expert. I just did a lot of research before I got what I got. I would do some research about the size of different bacteria - I am pretty sure you need a .2 micron or less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.