Survivalist Forum banner

My pack rod.

7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  moni357 
#1 ·
Been using these for trips into the back country when taking a 2 piece isn't feasible. Have caught more fish than I can count. Like any sectional rod the action is a tradeoff, but it hasn't proven to be of much consequence to me.

Eagle Claw Pack-it... can be found for around $20
Length: 16.5" collapsed, 5'6" extended.
Does not come with a case, but easy enough to make one out of pvc.

See less See more
#11 ·
How exactly do you change an action on a fishing rod? What do you mean by "install a new action"

I have been fishing for 20+ years and never heard of installing a new action on a rod and reel.

I think the OP means the action of the bait and how the rod handles it, Not changing out parts.

#6 ·
Telescopic rods are ok for spinning, but nearly always useless for flyfishing. I carry a Kilwell Safari 7'3" 4 piece that will do either spin or fly depending on the reel position. Nice rod, I've caught some good fish on it over the years. A PVC rod tube up the side of your pack is no strain to live with. A shorter fly rod is a mixed blessing, much easier to use and carry on enclosed water but you lose out on distance or power to beat a head wind on more open water. Learning a good roll cast or cross cast is vital for 'tight' water. Practice with your back to a wall is useful.

#7 ·
The one nice thing about the telescopics is how quickly they are collapsed and extended if you need to move through serious terrain between holes. However.... The 3pc Ugly Stick has become my go to pack rod. I love this thing.

I have a couple very nice packable flyrods, but they collect dust. A 5' spinning rod with an ultra light spinning reel is perfect for my purposes. 1/16oz white UV coated rooster tails work consistently year round in my next of the woods.

#10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions
i am going to start a BO Fishing Kit.
and i am going to either start with the 3pc Ugly Stick or the Eagle Pack it.
which ever i can find conveniently.

Has anyone a LIST of what else I should add to this Kit?
I haven't fished since i was a child.
and I am very wary of buying ready made KITS.

but I have a couple of boats, and I can test drive the kit in my jon boat, to get some practice.

#12 ·
The best kit you can put together is one that has the tackle/lures designed for the area you are in, or are preparing to be in.
A lot of tackle will catch multiple species of fish in various areas, then some wont.
I spend half of my time in the Fl Keys and the other half in the mountains of CO so I have two completely opposite sets of gear that stay in each state. If I brought my Co gear to Fl to fish, it would be under-gunned, rusted out and worthless in a matter of time. Likewise, if I brought my Fl gear to CO, it would be extreme overkill and would have a hard time trying to catch small and spooky river trout on heavy gear and tackle.
I would recommend talking to a fishing guide or maybe just a local fisher-person and ask what they recommend.
I would also try to stay away from things like lead weights and anything extra heavy if you plan on packing it. In a SHTF scenario, you will be able to improvise needed tackle weight with metals and the like that you will more than likely be able to find laying around.

#13 ·
My preferred BO fishing kit would be couple of pre-made wire type spear heads, 2-4 prong. A strong torch would be useful, too. The main target species in my rivers and streams are eels and trout, with frogs from spring to early autumn. Taking both during the day is do-able but last afternoon-dark is better. Also useful, small packet of #2 hooks and a common nylon spool hand line, say 30lb, thick enough to handle easily and stong enough to cope with 10lb trout or 20+ lb eels. Either that big are unlikely but not at all impossible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.