Survivalist Forum banner

Reloading Press

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Highpower 
#1 ·
Any reloaders in here care too give advise on best progressive reloading press and best single stage reloading press. And tell whay you like that particuler one. Im thinking aabout buying the LEE. both the 50th aniversy kit and the Load Master. any input would be great.

#2 ·
Progessive loading units are okay.

But don't expect really any super accuracy with the powder measuring.
I mean are you really going to be reloading a lot of ammo--hundreds, or thousands of rounds?
When I measure my powder, I always used a digital scale.
I've got a Lyman DPS 1200 DPS III (see the photo attached).

And instead of a progressive press, I used a rotating head press where I can keep my dies set-up long-term.
I have a Lyman press similar to the T-Mag II

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/presses-and-kits/Lyc_RPK_Tmag.php

Take a setup like this, and combine it with any kind of digital scale, and you will have a winner.

You won't need two setups.

The key to excellent reloading is consistancy.
a. super accurate powder measurement.
b. consistant, heavy duty press for accurate forming.
c. constant eye to details.

The progressive presses are great I believe if you shoot a lot of pistol rounds for practice and want a fast, economical way of reloading.

But for better than factory ammo--It just doesn't cut it for me.
What you are essentially getting with a progressive is an mini-factory, with all the draw backs and inaccuracies.

Now some guys swear by these progressives.
And more power to them.

But if you put together a set-up like I recommend you will get more performance and a lot more satisfaction out of your ammo.

I load my ammo in lots of 50 or 100 with painstaking care.
I recommed you do the same.

Also you will get more boom for your bucks.

T

Attachments

#4 ·
I had a thousand 9mm cases resized from an earlier session. Finished them in a weekend, didn't work straight through. This was with a single stage press, an old Herters. Didn't time it but it probably took me 5 hours I'd guess. Once I started a job, like priming or belling, I'd just go until I ran out of cases.

Rarely do I do that much in one sitting. Maybe only a handful of times. I just got a wild hair to get em done.

#5 ·
I am a single stage press user...I know...it is way slower than using a progressive. I do like to take my time when I'm reloading.
I can see a progressive for some one who shoot competitively on a regular basis...for the average shooter a single stage or turret press will generally meet their needs.
FWIW....
Dillon has about the best reputation for progressive reloaders and service...If I were to go with a progressive press I'd pass on the Lee, spend a few extra bucks and go with a Dillion...
Peter

#6 ·
A herters?...LOL
That IS an old timer...Almost an antique...
I've been using the same RCBS "O" press since 1980...
I bought the Relaoder package , It included the press, one set of dies, a powder scale a load manual, funnel, case lube and a pad...As I recall it cost me $80.00...You know I still have all of the stuff and it still works! of course the manual is way out of date...LOL

#7 ·
I have a Dillon Sqaure Deal. This only does handgun calibers and was inexpensive. i have had this for about 15 years and been very happy with it.
Dillon has a lifetime warranty and they stand behind the press completely. A few years after I purchased it the frame cracked due to a design flaw and they sent a new frame completely free of charge which had the problem corrected. I have not had a problem since then.
As far as powder consistentcy I initially checked every round and found the variance in the powder to be +/- 1/10 of a grain.

#8 ·
I get what you saying but how long does it take you to load 1000 rounds of 9mm? thats why I'm thinking about 2 presses. 1 for bulk reloading like 1000 rounds at a time and 1 for accuracy.

Okay I see where you're going.
I'll load 100 rounds of pistol ammo--.45, 44magnum, .357 in an afternoon... and that's pollishing, sizing, priming, powder charge, bullet seating, crimp/sizing. But remember that I am completely fussy, and meticulous.

But if you're just going to load 1000 rounds of 9mm--and that's it... I still don't see why you need a progressive.
Okay it may take you a littlle longer (pumping them out in batches), but so what?!

You can just get the one press--and go a bit upscale with a digital autofeeding scale.
This is where you save the time, and get fantastic results.
Powder measuring with a tilt-scale is a slow process.
--also not as accurate.
This way is slighly slower, but it will get you ultimate results in both rifle and pistol.

My suggestion is to pre-form-deprime/pre-polish/pre-prime on one day.
And then on the next day load powder and bullet seat.

Like I said the progressives are great when you always have a lot of ammo to reload (by the hundreds all the time)... this is where it will pay off.

But a one-shot quantity of 1000, may not be a good investment.
My suggestion is to put that dough into a digital auto feeding scale.
There are models cheaper than the Lyman shown in the photo which work just as well.

The other press will do everything you want.
Just get a couple of reloading blocks (shell holders).
A turret head type of press will quicken things a bit too.

Also invest in a digital caliper (from Harbor freight $8.00) and worth every cent.

I had a thousand 9mm cases resized from an earlier session. Finished them in a weekend, didn't work straight through. This was with a single stage press, an old Herters. Didn't time it but it probably took me 5 hours I'd guess. Once I started a job, like priming or belling, I'd just go until I ran out of cases.

See what I mean... even if you had a progressive, you're not going to do them all in one sitting.

T

#9 ·
chris1,

I have a single stage rcbs press and a lee loadmaster. The loadmasters as a little fussy but they are great presses once you get them set up. I load all my pistol on the loadmaster and .223/5.56 for bulk ammunition and hand load anything for accuracy on the single stage weighing every charge.

If I had the money I would go dillon on the progressive but I bought the loadmaster years ago and recently brought it back to life and it works great. If you get the loadmaster check out http://loadmastervideos.com It will help you out tremendously. I dont even use the case or bullet feeder on mine, ive heard they are a pain and it allows me to keep a better eye on its function.

stay away from lee's beam scale. I bought a hornady beam and an inexpensive digital scale and calibration weight to check it. Other than the scale lee's other stuff is great from my personal experience.

flag2442

#10 ·
I like the Lee priming tool...I'm on my second one, they are inexpensive and useful...
I'd say if you want to get a progressive press to play around with, why not...Though you will probably find that you will use your single stage press more often.

#11 ·
Lee 4 turret press kit-

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1234997128.1130=/html/catalog/turretpress.html

Item # 90928

Bought mine off ebay for $115. Plus $25 for 30-06 dies, and I'll have ~$45 in a set of .45 dies. Then I got to buy a digital scale yet.

The 4 hole turrets are $10 @ gander mountain and cabela's around here so I can keep both sets of dies set up indefinitely. Friends of mine have been using that style press for about 10 years now with no problems-which is why I got one.
And grab the hand primer for $12(GM & cabela's has them too).

Don't worry about the entire shell holder kit, because each die set comes with the correct one. And don't buy the ammo boxes off of the web either-$3.99+~$2.00SH vs $3.99 at the store.....

Also, I know guys you had problems with the progressive sets and doing everything auto-using the bullet and primer feeders-with primers and bullets not seating right.

#12 ·
If you have the money and want the best on the market go with Dillon. I have two Dillon 550B presses that I bought used. One is set up in small primer the other is set up for large primer. With the bullets and brass ready, the primer tubes full and the powder measure full you can easily load 400 to 500 9mm rounds an hour. The powder measure will throw to within 1/10 grain with most powders and if some how you manage to screw up and break something, call Dillon and they will send you the parts to fix it no questions asked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.