Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suggestions on Reloading Press

7K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  goose3 
#1 ·
I bought my 92fs and I've put about 500 rounds into it so far I've been saving my brass and I was looking for advice on what to buy. I only have my 92fs atm but I have plans on getting a Rem 700 .308 and possibly buying a AR in the future. I've seen videos of single presses and the bigger presses I just curious what you all suggest. I do plan on shooting more is it worth spending the money on a bigger press?

#3 ·
I really like my Rockchucker Supreme and it has been fantastic to learn on. That said, at some point I will probably go with a progressive loader. I'll never give up the Rockchucker though. :thumb:

#5 ·
Reloading for a .308 can be very relaxing and fun... making up fine loads is a science that I enjoy. I had a RCBS Rockchucker and it was really a fine piece of equipment. I would recommend shopping for the RCBS kit that has the lube pad, dial calipers, scale, manual, etc... When I first got into reloading, I bought the press, dies and the cartridge components. I soon learned that you really need to trim cases, weigh powder precisely, lube cases, etc... to get a safe product.

I trust my loads/reloads more than factory ammo but would, again, recommend pricing a full kit, with components, to evaluate if it is the road you want to go down. You will probably not save money by reloading, but will likely love it and make your rifle much more accurate :)

#6 ·
Even the RCBS Junior puts everything Lee to shame. I used a second-hand Junior for at least 15 years, for everything up to the belted magnums, until a bargain-priced Lyman Orange Crusher came my way. In many ways I still prefer the Junior. Only reason I haven't gone back to it is that it lacks good control of spent primers.

Dillons are only for pistoleros who blow off hundreds of rounds per range session, IMHO. If you load for a rifle, and especially if you load for a high power rifle, stick to single stage, and weigh every charge.

My reloading now focuses on obsolete cartridges, for which nobody has published data for modern powders. Making subsonic loads for "stealth" taking of garden-raiding varmints has also become an obsession. To those ends I invested in a copy of the "Quickload" software from www.Neconos.com which lets me leave all my paper manuals on the shelf.

#29 ·
Why would you weigh every powder charge? I have a 30+ year old RCBS Uniflow that has always thrown charges with 1/10th grain accuracy. I gave up weighing individual charges when I bought my first measure.

Have you looked at Dillon's BL-550 reloader? This is a nice machine for someone starting out who may want to go progressive eventually.

#7 ·
Friend of mine gave me an old Lynman turret press. Works like a single stage but you can lock in / dial in all your dies at one time.

If you have the money - get a Dillon Progressive - you can work it like a single stage till you get the handle of it.

#8 ·
Start off with a reloading manual (Speer, Hornady, Nosler, etc) first (read thoroughly), then a decent single stage press. After you get some experience under your belt, then look at some progressives. My single stage favorite is RCBS, and my progressive press favorite is Dillon.

#10 · (Edited)
I own several presses to include: one LEE Challenger Breechlock single stage, a LEE hand press, a Lyman turret, a Dillon Square Deal B, and a Dillon RL-550B. I owned an RCBS Rockchucker but got rid of it years ago.

I started reloading with a donated Lachmiller single stage when in my late teens and learned the basics with that old unit. I always advise new reloaders to start with a single stage and one of the best for the money AND speed of die changes is the LEE Challenger Breechlock. Die changes take literally 2 seconds as the dies do not need to be unthreaded for removal from or threaded into the press. LEE uses adapters that thread onto each die making die changes a snap...and guaranteeing adjustments remain undisturbed. This is a good design. Also, LEE dies are great when the LEE factory crimp die is included. I have LEE, RCBS, Hornady, Redding dies and all are good.

If you prefer other than LEE dies...buy a LEE factory crimp die for each caliber you load. This die guarantees reloads will fit and function in the firearm.

If you want to spend more upfront and intend on buying a progressive soon, look at the Dillon BL-550. This is Dillon's less automated version of their 550 progressive but still features quick change die heads. Most important...more than press selection is purchase a good basic reloading manual. I like the Lyman manuals personally...but all major name manuals are good. Have fun!

LEE Challenger Breechlock link: http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-challenger-press.html

Dillon BL-550 link: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25792/catid/1/BL_550_Basic_Loader
The advantage to the BL-550 is die changes are fast with this unit since priming and powder charging are done outside the press. Use a loading block to hold cases for viewing after powder charging. This press can be upgraded as you gain experience but...as you upgrade die changes become slower. And...if you upgrade to the Dillon priming system, switching between large and small primers slows things even more.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
nothing wrong with the Lee Classic Presses - I guess Lee's "Progressive" is a bit hit and miss

FWIW - start with a nice single stage on the 308 and see if you're into it

Dillon is quality no doubt be don't be like my brother out law - who is sitting with ~1,500 rounds of over loaded 40 cal and a busted Glock because he mis-calibrated his Dillon ...

Read, Understand, Check and Double Check

#15 ·
I've heard you can save money down the road as in it pays for itself if you reload alot of your own ammo or has that changed?. Aside from saving my own brass I will start getting some from work and a friend at the local police departments range. So I'll have all the brass I ever need soon as I let my friend know. Ill only have to buy primers, powder, and the bullet itself.

#16 ·
Not sure whats wrong with Lee gear, its serviceable. A friend has his RCBS, and a pile of used primers everywhere, the Lee will generally catch them. The lighter cheaper Lees yes can be broken but only if you exceed their capacity. I doubt the big cast Lee is any less durable than the other brands. Alot of it is just maintenance, some oil here or there, take it apart put some grease in the pivots. Now the Lee scale is near useless. But the turret press I bought recently has made all sorts of ammo.

OP you will find most of us started out with some sort of basic kit to get started, then bought things as we went along to make better ammo or speed things up. But we all started on a single stage. You learn the basics better that way, can always jump into a progressive later, but I have been reloading 20 yrs and really havent seen a huge need for one.

That Lee kit is pretty cheap, just pick up a decent scale. Will probably want a tumbler or some way to clean brass, I have been tempted to finally get an ultrasonic one. A case trimmer will be handy.

#17 ·
Sometimes you can save a lot, sometimes you can't. With 9mm and .223, you probably won't.

On the other hand, I reload .44 Magnum and .44 Special for approximately 25% the cost of new factory ammo.

I also reload 6mm, 45/70, and 35 Whelen much cheaper than I can buy it.

It all depends on what you reload and how much of it you shoot.

#19 ·
The problem with experience is that so many have just one brand that they have experienced with- so to them, it may be fine, but to someone that uses or punishes it more, the same press may be less than ideal. So, while I have a BNIB RCBS Turret press, the only thing I've used is the Lee challenger- to date which I haven't had any issues. Maybe the RCBS is better- but until I use it, I won't know.

That said, reloading, from my stance, is not cheap; but I look at it for hopefully better performing rounds, and maybe cheaper rounds when ammo prices rise. It's also a good prepping item- once you figure out all that you need to get started. If I was firing just 500 rounds a year, I'd be inclined to buy more ready made ammo over reloading. There are even calculators to figure your ROI for reloading, albeit that most ignore the nickel and dime stuff that runs up when you need this gadget, tool or doo-dad.. Reload when it makes sense ; like prepping for the future, shooting a lot, or wanting better performing ammo.. Oops: Reloading is not cheap; let me clarify that; to start out initially, it can be; however it's not as cheap as most will initially think. It depends upon what you can get by with. Overall, it can be cheaper than buying; but at the same time, it's just as easy to produce more expensive ammo too.

A good single stage, I can see uses for it well into the future, even if I put a turret press on the bench.
Turret presses are probably better suited for those that want features of a single stage, but ability to crank it up a notch or three.
Full blown progressive presses- for those that want to do far more.

For a few boxes worth of ammo at a time, I think a single stage should suffice; although I will likely break out the turret to try it out. I don't think a turret is a bad idea either; not sure about going full out- in the beginning, with a full blown progressive either.

#22 ·
I have a Rockchucker single stage press that i use for 338win mag and 45-70 and just bought a Lee turret press with a few extra plates and have them set up for 308,30-06,44,38 and .223 makes it easie,4 more plates and I'll have all my dies ready for what I reload now.
The Rcbs single stage is a very good press for doing low count reloads.

#23 ·
Heh.. Its a good thing reloading presses don't come in 9mm or .45, or start with an AR or AK. That could be the start of SHTF right there.

First, if it is a major brand name press it will most likely work.

Lee will work fine if you use it for what it is designed, I started on them. Lee is the only press I had break on me, though. I was trying to reload .300RUM in their cheap ass "C" press (sooooo not desinged for that) and broke the frame, and I caught the handle of my pro 1000 with my hip and snapped it off.

Dillon and Hornady are built like Shick Brithouses. I am sure I could break one of them, but it would probably take a sledge.

Lyman looks tough, but I have never used them.

As I got more interested in reloading, I moved on from Lee. I like to say I outgrew them. I now use a combination of RCBS (single stage) and Dillon (550's and a 450Jr that is older than dirt).

I have never had bad luck with warranties from any of the major brands presses. Lee sent me what I needed (when they did not have to) but charged me shipping and they only sent what I asked. When I found that was not the whole problem I had to call back and they did the same thing.

Dillon has been the best in my experience. I called and asked for one part, and I got that part in the mail, free of charge, along with other parts that tech thought might be needed based on his experience with these problems. When I got that 450jr (its an old press), they sent me what I asked for along with a whole box of extra parts, as the tech said they were running low on replacements and these were the most common problem areas.

In the end it will come down to what you like. I have no clue how people can drink Pepsi, Coke is obviously superior in every way.

#24 ·
Ak, I've had similar experience with RCBS. Was trying to get a older ammo master progressive press going and was missing like 15 tiny parts. Called them told them what I was looking for and they would not let me pay for it nor would they let me pay for shipping. Called them last week about getting some 8/32x1/8 set screws for my trim pro and got the same treatment from them. They refused to allow me to pay for anything!

#25 ·
oops...

I forgot to mention this to OP, or anyone else who has been following this thread, in my last post.

If you are impatient and do not want to wait for all these arguments to unfold, just do a search for Dillon, or Lee, or reloading press and you can read through them all. You might even catch a few that have not yet cropped up.

#27 ·
My RCBS Partner press did everything I needed it to do.
I had a Lee progressive press that I adjusted out of time and could never get it back to being right,
my fault.
I really liked the Lee priming tool that mounts on top of my partner press, would not have liked reloading without it.
Lee Loader kits are nice if you don't have $$$'s and aren't reloading for a thousand round match.
Lee dies always worked out for me.

I think if I were to delve back into feeding firearms I'd go with -drumroll-
One Lee Target Model Reloader for my one rifle.
One O framed single stage press (Coax preferred)
One Dillon progressive, later on, for pistol cartridges and even later for the rifle. Maybe.

IMHO of course and YMMV.

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some of the truth about the 'good' brands, are not exactly so true anymore. I bought a RCBS scale in the early 90s, never had any problems with it, the balance beam got lost during a move, they wont sell you one, has to be calibrated. So I bought a new one, was a world of difference between the old one and the new one, the housing was way lighter and thinner, not always bad, just shows they are cutting corners to keep the price point. And that Ohaus no longer makes stuff for RCBS. The new one was way off out of the box, yea your supposed to 'calibrate it' by taking shot out of the pan, so much for the beam being calibrated. Its a step that SHOULD have been done by RCBS. The reviews on their newer scales arent all that great.

And some of RCBS stuff is just ridiculous on price. Lee sells a set of dies for the 577/450 martini, $85. RCBS is $468, I really doubt they are that much better, and as usual you still have to buy the shell holder for another $18. A spare Lee is $4, is the RCBS 4x better at holding the shell in place?

You go looking at some of the stuff RCBS does sell like 7.62x25 tokarev forming dies, what do you even need them for, I just jam cut to length 223s thru the FL sizing die, your just forming a slight shoulder. Never had a problem, to justify $243 for the dies.

Is all of lees stuff good, no. Somebody gave me one of their auto primes for a press, dont see it lasting long with the flimsy parts, been mad if I had bought it. I have broken their presses, by exceeding their capacity. Those little cheap c clamp style do have their uses, way more room to seat bullets or powder charge with, but a bit much to ask to try to size a 223 in it. Buts its real convenient to screw down to a chuck of wood and clamp to a table to size pistol cases, their $25 it wears out Ill buy another one, first one lasted 15yrs, so got my moneys worth.

OP dont jump in feet first with a progressive. Get your self a single stage kit to start out with, whatever brand you feel like paying for. The Lee is a good place to start, has most of what you need, the money saved vs say RCBS you can buy a better scale, case trimmer, and tumbler. You can always upgrade later, if you feel the need. I started casting with Lymans basic kit a pot, dipper, book, ingot mold. There is better stuff to buy, but I still use that lyman pot to melt down the scrap vs nastying up my bottom pour pot. So wasnt wasted money.

#30 ·
My Dillon 550B is over 20 years old. If a part wears out, it's replaced for free, no questions asked. Movers busted a part on my powder measure and I ordered a new one providing my credit-card to pay for, explaining how it was busted. Dillion said it's a no BS warrenty and refused to charge me for it. Needless to say, the warrenty and excellent operational characteristics make me a big believer in Dillon.
You can buy a stripped down Dillon 500 to use as a single stage and upgrade it to progressive at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.