Survivalist Forum banner

Reloading 410 in a rifle press

32K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Richardpitts 
#1 ·
Was wondering if I could reload 410 in a single staged rifle press. Was wanting to load up some buck shot for a Taurus judge

#2 ·
I may be mistaken, but as far as I know, you need a special press. Lee has a budget set up that works fine, but they don't offer it in .410. Taking a quick look around, the beginning price point for a .410 set up is around $160. By the time you buy shot, wads, powder, primers, etc. you'll need to reload a thousand rounds before you'd break even.

I haven't priced .410 but these guys are usually pretty competitive on most things. They have Judge ammo for $95 a case:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/centurion/250-rd-case-410-slug-noblesport-25-inch-works-judge

Hope that helps.

#5 ·
You can reload shotgun shells with a nail a dowell rod and a flat blade screw driver and a small block of wood with a hole in it bigger than the primer but smaller than the case head. USe the nail to knock out old primer over the block with the hold set the new primer in and place on the wooden block in a solid area insert dowell into empty hull and press. Then measure your power with a scoop, insert wad press with dowell, measure shot and pour then fold edges over with flat blade screwdriver.

#6 ·
410 reloading

If you are reloading for one 410.
I have an HR single shot break open 410.
I use a lanes reloading tool msrp $55.00 for 2 1/2 & 3 inch with a sinclair arbor press not necessary but easier to do.
Lee used to make one similar but they are no longer made.
Lee loaders in 410 are now getting rare and expensive.
My Lane reloader works fine for reloading for my gun they are alittle tight but work fine as I star crimp might look at doing a roll crimp for easier insertion of shell.
No cheaper way to reload for more than 1 gun such as mine.
If you want to shoot 410's in more than one gun then.
The cheapest way to reload for a variety of different guns is a mec 600 jr mark 5 about $180.00.
If you want to shoot brass cases 2 1/2 inch only is avaliable then expect to pay more and you don't want to throw them on the ground at about $1.00 a case unless you have more money than me.
I plan on getting other 410's so I will work my way towards the mec.
I use ballistic products supplies.

#7 ·
The nail and dowel method is fine and works with my HR but with having more than one 410 gun bolt action, pump, and semi auto you won't be happy because of different chamber sizes for the 410 as is the case with any gun regardless of gauges or cartridges as no two guns are alike as far as chambering. The good news is that usually factory shells are sized alittle smaller to fit all 410's. That is why the mec 600 jr mark 5 has a sizer that sizes at factory specs and it is the cheapest reloader on the market the price just goes up from there for mec's as well as other brands of relaoading presses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.