Survivalist Forum banner

New progressive reloading press

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ammit 
#1 · (Edited)
So I went to pick up a Lee Turret Press with 9mm dies someone was selling on Craigslist for $60, only to find when I got there that it was actually a progressive! I've been reloading 30-30 and .308 for a while now with a Lee Hand Press, but decided I wanted to get a little more serious with something that attaches to a bench. The press is in pretty good shape besides being dusty. I'm not terribly certain what the black plastic thing is, but I think it has something to do with case feeding. What else do I need to get going? I assume I can get something to measure and feed powder that will pour it in through the expander die, because weighing every charge seems like it would slow down my groove. I would appreciate any specific suggestions from you guys concerning any extra gear I might need, since I'm not too familiar with progressive reloading. I usually get everything from Midsouth Shooter's Supply, since they are right by me and I can just go pick it up.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not familiar with that press, but I doubt the black thing is a case feeder. I can't get the pics big enough to give it a good guess.

Rifle reloading should not be done as fast as pistol. The necked cases need a bit more care & the power charge needs to be pretty accurate.

Get some good reloading books and learn about the process.

Lee makes some powder measures that may help speed powder charging. Some say it is more accurate because it measures volume since weight can be affected by humidity.

I use an electronic powder measure for rifle & the powder drop on my Dillon for pistol.

Good luck with it and be careful. Reloading will save money and you'll learn a lot in the process.

#3 ·
I fixed the pictures, kind of. Now they're huge. I don't know how pictures work in forums, I guess. I'm pretty sure I have just about all the reloading books. Just off hand I know I have ABCs, Lee, Lyman, Hornady, Nosler, and at least one or two others. I've read them pretty much cover to cover, plus I've been reloading for a little while now. I just don't know a whole lot about progressive reloading.

#5 ·
Yeah, that is a Lee Pro-1000. It's a good press overall. I had one for years. My only beef with it was the primer feeding. Sometimes it would feed a primer when no case was present, sometimes it wouldn't feed them at all, or if the shellplate timing was off a bit it would feed primers sideways.

Read up in the manual on how to time the shellplate, keep the primer chute clean and keep the primer tray full. Once the tray runs empty, fill it up. Without the weight of the primers above in the tray, the primers on the chute won't feed properly.

I probably loaded 20k rounds of .45 ACP on my old Pro-1000 over the years I had it. It's a decent press. Just keep an eye on the issues I mentioned and it should serve you well. :thumb:

#6 ·
ive got the pro 1000. Im not sure what rifle rounds work with it. the black part with four circles on top is the case feeder. the round jobber with the clear plastic top is for primers. you ll need the powder feeder and the clear tubes that attach into the four circle thing up top.(im not super technical on terms). here is what it should look like http://www.midwayusa.com/product/428284/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-9mm-luger
heres the powder feeder you need
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/348753/lee-pro-auto-disk-powder-measure
here are the tubes (might be the wrong size)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/69...gressive-press-case-feeder-tubes-package-of-7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.