Survivalist Forum banner

Reloading Press

6K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  Xelera 
#1 ·
Anybody have a suggestion on a reloading press? I'd like to start with my .22 LR and move towards my .40 S&W, .45ACP, and my wife's .380. I also am planning on expanding to a .38 soon - so I'd like a good press that can handle all those.

I know progressive presses make things go faster, but I think I'd rather take the time and deal with better accuracy etc etc.

Any suggestions would be great?

#6 ·
This is correct. Rimfire is non-reloadable.

Many would suggest to have a turret press to load handgun ammunition, though I do mine with a single stage. Sure it's a little slower, but each round is precision, if there is a mistake I am taking the time to inspect and find it.
Not to mention, unless you're shooting multiple times per week and don't have time to spend reloading speed really isn't that much of an issue.

Look into the Lee Breech Lock kits, very affordable and quality setup. After that you just need calipers, maybe a digital scale, tumbler, media, and polish, bullets, brass, powder, and primers and you're ready to go. I got my entire setup for around $400 (including the actual bullets, not brass, powder, and primers.).
If you're interested in Lee, look no further than FSReloading.com. Cheapest prices around.
If you have any questions, ask away :)

#4 ·
Most presses will work for the pistol rounds. If you are going to work with rifle rounds on down the line, though, I'd get one of the compound presses like the RCBS JR or the Rock Chucker. Resizing rifle brass takes a lot more press, and considerably more energy than resizing pistol brass.

#8 ·
I mostly use a Rockchucker for all-around loading. ALL of my rifle loads are done on the Rockchucker and/or my RCBS Jr3. While I certainly recommend folks start out on a single stage (like the Rockchucker) to learn the basics on, the single stage is pretty slow for loading pistol ammo in large quantities. So, once you master the loading process you'll likely want to move on into a progressive press for pistol. I use a Hornady Lock n' Load AP for pistol. It's easily switched from one caliber to the next and it's a smooth piece of machinery. In fact, I sold my Dillon 550 to buy the Hornady, that's how impressed I was by the Hornady.

#10 ·
If you're just looking to load pistol calibers, a single stage press will work fine. One of the Lee presses would do well.
I've loaded lots of handgun ammo on a RCBS Rockchucker, and it's just too big in my opinion for handgun.

#15 ·
I bought a Lee press that came with a reloading manual about 15 years ago and still use it today. It's a good starter set and pretty easy on the wallet. I've loaded from 9x18 Makarov up to 30-06, 8mm, and 38-55 on it. It's a single stage press but gets the job done, just takes a bit longer than a turret or progressive press. I also use Lee dies, they come in a complete set with the dies, shellholders and instructions.

#16 ·
I started with a rockchucker, check the equipment exchange on ar15.com for good deals. There are also good single stage presses by Lee. A single stage will handle 80% of your reloading needs until you get into idpa or ipsc and start shooting a significant amount of pistol rounds.

#21 ·
I have Hornady, Dillon, RCBS, LEE, Forester and MEC…

The biggest ram that runs the brass into the dies is on the Hornady LnL AP… I use the Dillon for 40s&w, the RCBS for 327mag, 357mag and 44mag and the Hornady for all my rifle reloads. They each have their good and bad points it comes down to what you want vs what you have to spend.

I do suggest going with a quality one first, just better that way and for dies, make sure they are carbide…! And get MANUALS, 2 or more, not just one!

#23 ·
I have a Lee Turret Press that works very well and is reasonable fast. Its not perfect but once you get the hang of its operation and pay attention it produces very consistant ammunition. I reload between 150-200 rounds an hour for .357 Magnum (taking my time) and about 100 rounds an hour of .308 Winchester with prepped brass while manually indexing it.

I really like this press because it can be used as a single stage and the turret plates are removable making it very easy to switch calibers and without having to readjust your dies.

#24 ·
Have three presses on the bench(mounted onto 2X6s/wing nuts for easy removal). An "O" style Lyman, Forester Co-Ax on the left and a Lyman T-Max just off center. I use the T-Max on most as I can mount a complete set of dies plus powder measure. The "O" gets sizing die work and long bottle neck sizing duty. Forester is just wonderful as I can swap dies in a second or two. My loader bud uses a Rock Chucker and has for 20 yrs. It is the only one on his bench.

#25 ·
I use an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme. Excellent tool.

Also, RCBS has an ongoing promotion, that if you buy $300 worth of their products (save your receipts, purchase orders, and UPC codes on box) they will send you a $50 rebate. RCBS compares pretty close to, but slightly above Lee products, but with the rebate, it's almost a no brainer.

You can get there pretty quickly with your press and dies for each caliber listed, if you include a hand priming tool (trust me on this one, you want it) a 505 balance beam scale, a few shell holders for your selected calibers, and a powder measure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.