Survivalist Forum banner

Need advice on reloading press and etc

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  ~Ace~ 
#1 · (Edited)
OK I am not a complete novice to reloading. Used to reload for friends and family but have never done it for myself. I never invested in the setup.

I was actually wanting something small that could do a few different calibers. Instead of the Lee classic loader kit (which apparently is not offered in 380ACP) I thought about getting the Lee Hand Press Reloading Kit. Has anyone had any experience with this machine? Comments suggestions? http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

Also will any normal die set work with this press.

I am wanting to use this for:
380 ACP
9mm Luger
45 ACP
7.62x39
30x06

and maybe a couple of more.

See less See more
#2 ·
:rolleyes: Weeell, it's okay, it's not garbage. But I'd go with a bench mount. People laugh, but I use a Lee C-Press. I do thousands upon thousands of pistol rounds on it. I use it for sizing cast bullets as well. No other press offers as much hand room. I do prefer a bigger press for rifle rounds, though. Well, I say that, but I use the C-press for .223's as well as 9mm, .45, and .38spl. It takes up so little space, I love mine. .....and it's cheap too, less than $40!

#3 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I understand the take on the bench mount, but I really wanted one that was a little more versatile as far as packing it up and reloading without having to mount it on a table somewhere. Ideas?

#4 ·
I've always used Lee Products. I never needed an expensive system as I have gear from other brands too, but load for .30-30 and 9mm.

#5 · (Edited)
I have a Lee hand press that I load rifle rounds on (22-250, 6mm, 270, 45-70). It's great for rifles that I don't shoot a lot and only load 20 rounds at a a time. But for pistol and smaller rifle rounds like .223 that I shoot a lot it would be mighty slow. You can do it if you have the time. Loading hunting ammo for a 270 is a two die process after the cases are clean. A resize die and a seating die. Reloading pistol there are three dies, sometimes four. Resize & remove old primer, bell the case mouth, seat and crimp. The last two steps are combined in a lot of die sets. Each piece of brass must go through each die. So for a hundred .380's you must size each one, prime each one, change to the bell die and run them all through, add powder, change to a seat/crimp die, add a bullet and seat. This is where a progressive press shines.

Both rifle and pistol you can use a Lee hand prime to reprime the cases and a Lee powder measure to drop powder. Always buy carbide pistol dies because they require no lube to resize. Rifle cases have to be lubed before sizing. I use spray lube because it is so much cleaner than a lube pad.

#6 ·
Lee Kit

I to have used Lee for many years, never a problem. I have used the Lee Pacesetter dies as well, great value.

The kit that I brought was the Anniversary kit, think that I got it from Midway but not sure.

I have used this for Pistol, in 40sw right up to 270 Winchester and 7.62x54R for my Nagant, never a problem.

Also get the universal de-capping die, you can decap all your rounds at once then straight into the tumbler.

Martin

#7 ·
Hi Josiah, Are you looking for a lightweight setup for the B.O.B. or a portable setup for being able to load at a range, camp, etc.? May be possible to pickup a good used press via yard sale, flea market, ebay and a little "scrounging" around for some materials to make an adapter to mount a press to a receiver hitch on a parked vehicle. Portable yet a quick, solid setup.

#9 ·
I own the hand press, it works fine.
It's not fast, and you wont want too do volume, but I like too watch TV, and resize my brass, kind of mindless, and during a typical show, I can shuck a few hundred rounds.
For my loading though, I have an RCBS Rock Chucker, and an RCBS Buddy press.
I bought the rock chucker as a kit, so I saved a few bucks.
I also use an RCBS 1010 scale and I have an RCBS Sidewinder tumbler.
I like Dillion, but not the prices, so I chose the middle of the road with the RCBS and have been more then happy with the quality.
You can start off with the Lee Hand press, it is good kit, but you will quickly find, that loading precision loads in the field is a bit difficult, and much more time consuming then you bargined for.
You stated mainly pistol calibers, you might concider a turret press, very fast and precise.
Just a thought.
Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you decided and how well it is working for you.

#11 ·
Hand presses are OK. I've used them...
If all you are looking for is a way to reload a couple of boxes of shells every so often and really don't want to lay out the cash for a dedicated set up. Then the hand press is a good way to go. It takes up very little space and will get the job done.
Peter

#12 ·
I have one that I got from Lee as a factory "second" for way under the regular price. It works fine; the paint just wasn't as pretty. I like it. Keep a look-out in the surplus area on the Lee website. Sometimes a good deal can be had.

It is a slower process. As mentioned, get the universal de-capping die. I sometimes will sit down out on the patio with a bucket of brass and just de-cap. I know that I don't have to stay as focused because all I'm doing is de-capping brass. Quiet respite...

...just me. Be safe!

#13 ·
I have 3 Lee presses. I have a C press as a dedicated decapping station, and I have 2 Pro 1000 presses. One setup for 45ACP, the other for 40S&W. For my rifle rounds, I have an RCBS Rock Chucker. I had a Lee O ring press as my rifle press, but I had to upgrade as I was breaking linkage while swaging military 308 brass. I was going to buy a Lee Classic Cast press, but I ended up falling into the RCBS for $20 and couldn't pass it up.

All that being said, I have used a hand press, and wouldn't recommend it if you are planning on shooting your rounds out of various rifles. They seem to work best with the neck sizing die, and if you are only neck sizing, you can only shoot that round in the exact same firearm it was fired from. I think I would go crazy if I was using it to reload pistol rounds with, as was said before there are several dies, and I think the process would be rather slow and cumbersome if done on a hand press. A progressive is the way to go if you want to have the ability to reload any sort of volume. I have reloaded close to 10,000 rounds of pistol combined on my two Lee progressives, and I love using them. When I get into the groove, I can easily do 500-600 rounds an hour, but I usually do 200 at a sitting, so I don't get bored and my mind starts to wander.

Lee reloading equipment is a great value for the money, and if taken care of, should provide you with a lifetime of service.

#15 ·
Check out midway for what you need.
Cabela's is over priced.
If you PM me the calibers, I will look on midway for everything you need, and send you the specs, item numbers, and prices.

#16 ·
The Lee Anniversary kit is a Sweet deal and Very hard to beat... it (press) can be mounted to a 2x6 and using C Clamps be put on most any table / counter if you need portable. It comes with Almost every tool needed to reload, with the exception of the shell holder / trimmer guide that must be purchased for each caliber to trim brass to length (3 or 4 dollars) and Dies ~Ace~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.