Survivalist Forum banner

Which reloading press and set up?

5K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  ChapNelson 
#1 ·
I have never reloaded, and although it is late in the game, I think I can afford to just as a hedge against harder times. Which reloader should I purchase? I have my eye on an RCBS RockChucker. Is this sufficient?

#2 · (Edited)
The brass cleaning process requires electricity. I highly recommend you get a mechanical beam balance to measure your powder charges. You will need one flip tray for picking up primers. The Rock chucker is a good platform but is a single stage press. It really comes down to time or money. If you don't mind spending hours reloading then go with a single stage press on the cheap. If you don't want to spend hours doing the process then get a dillon precision 550B. Everything is mechanical but you can load 300 cartridges for handgun in an hour if you want to. 400-500 if you are really efficient.
You are trading money you have now for something that is worth something. You should get something that can save you lots of time later on. It is all really based on your budget. It will cost more for the calibur change setups for the progressive machine and less for the single stage press.
If you are doing this for rifle then you need brass lubricant and a lube pad to prevent the shell from being stuck in the dies.
1fixitman

#4 ·
On the other hand, you could just go a Lee Hand Press or even a Lee Classic in your caliber of choice. I can fit all I need to reload and cast 1000 rds of a single caliber (100 pcs brass, ww ingot, ladle, mold, flux, press, dies, primers, powder, puller, dipper, caliper, small notebook of loads) in a small cloth tool bag. Take it anywhere, makes the time go by when the tvs don't work anymore.

#6 ·
Never heard anything but good about Dillon and RCBS. Top notch customer service from both. Hornady has a progessive press that alot of folks seem to like and is a little cheaper than the Dillon, I think. As mentioned previously, Lee might be a consideration. Their Classic Turret Press gets alot of positive reviews. You can read them at Midway's site. I have no personal experience with any of the aforementioned presses. Still using a Lyman Spartan purchased in the early 60's and a Lyman hand press.
The Lee Classic Turret looks mighty tempting though.

#7 ·
Do not get a multi stage press for a 1st reloader. Especially if your reloading pistols. Hate to see what would happen if you double changed a round, or one had no primer and you tried to shoot another round with the previous bullet in the barrel.

Any single stage is fine. Keep in mind reloading takes time too. I know some folks who shoot even less because they haven't got any ammo when they have time to shoot.

Reloading can or can not save money. After awhile it may save money. But, at first you'll have bullets and powder you experimented on and don't like.

I'm sure atleast 1/2 of all the reloader sold have not really been used. I have the RCBS rock chucker and like it. I am still not comfortable with the multi-stage yet. Learn the basics on a basic machine. It's simple, but complicated enough to mess up. I'd focus on rifle only at first. It's signiicantly harder to mess things up. If you gun makes a much quiet noise, or out of the ordinary; look down the barrel and chamber for obstructions. Also, check the spent case for anything unusual. Rifle cartridges with standard loads are close to impossible to double charge.

For now, just get a reloading book and start reading. RCBS kit comes with a good book, the speer manual.

#8 ·
Ditto this.......this is good advice

You cannot go wrong with the Rockchucker and you can upgrade later as your collection of reloading equipment grows....which it will

I have 6 different reloaders, my Rockchucker is still being used after 27 years

I can save money
I can shoot premium bullets
I can load different combinations
I can fine tune my loads for accuracy
I can load cheap lead bullets at fraction of the cost of new ammo
I generally reload in the dead of winter, when there is nothing else to do and I'll stock up on all my pistol/rifle/shotgun cartridges for upcoming year

Make sure you keep records of your loadings and label your boxes of reloads

Reloading is a new world and a hobby aside from shooting your weapons

#9 ·
I do not agree with a forced starter press as a single stage. If you can afford the 550, start with that one. Yes you have several things more to check, and it is a continual checking process, but once it is setup it is setup for a long time. The ease of changing calibers is nice too.

There is more involved with a turret press. Take the time to figure it out. Be safe.

100rds in 15 minutes is about my average. I don't go too fast, and I am careful.

To the poster that mentioned no primer causing a bullet stuck in the barrel...if there is no primer, there is no boom. A no-powder charge can make a bullet get stuck, not a no-primer.

#10 ·
The Rockchucker is a great single stage press, It's a Kiss system (Keep It Simple Stupid)
you will not ware one out in two lifetimes of normal use. I don't agree on a progressive type system for the casual reloader (Less then 5000 rounds a year) or for a SHTF situation. The Lee Idea is a very good one, I also have the Lee loaders (the ones you use a hammer with) and Lee hand presses as well, and they all fit in a bag very easy and they are not that heavy to carry.

I'm Old School, so I only use a single stage press, and it's a rockchucker, I want to be in control with every operation of my reloaded ammo, I use a Lee hand primer, because I can see the primer is right side up before I put a case into the hand primer (I always raise the primer to the top of the shell holder before I insert the case in the sheel holder) I can also feel the primer being seated as well. I then use a Powder thrower to throw the charge into the case, I can see the powder in the case, so I know it's there, I then seat the bullet to the right COL. Between me and my nephews we have loaded boat loads of ammo, and have shot boatloads of ammo, and we have never had a misfire that we loaded, we have had lots of factory rounds mis fire, and almost all of them have had no priming compound in the primer.

#11 ·
I started off with a very simple set up - A Lee Challenger single stage kit. It was the cheapest of the bunch but the quality is every bit as good as all the more exotic and expensive stuff. There is a wide range of accessories and dies and they are consistently cheaper than the opposition. All their stuff comes with a comprehensive guarantee but I've never once had to call on it.
I've had the same kit for twenty years now. If you're organized you can knock out two hundred rounds in an hour using fresh components (brass) quite easily. The best bit with a single stage kit is its simplicity - and if you make a fubar you're likely to spot it quickly rather than after you've churned out a whole batch of wrong uns on a multi-stage setup.

#13 ·
I do not know why I have never reloaded. Of course I buy surplus by the case but I would like to develop loads for premium accuracy. I had an older fellow I always traded guns with who wanted me to buy his reloading equipment and supplies when he passed away. He wanted $900 and he had everything. But he passed away while I was in Afghanistan and of course, everything disappeared. My loss.

Thanks everyone for all of the great input.

#14 ·
I have always reloaded, but for things like the 5.56X45/7.62X51/9mm I bought surplus by the cases, I couldn't reload cheaper then I could buy, but! about 4 years ago the surplus prices started going high, and we shoot alot, I mean alot, and I found myself starting to reload for those cartridges, I was glad that I keep all my spent brass. Our handloads shoot so much more consistent VS the surplus. I was lucky because I had all my loading components bought before the big price hike and availabilty issues.

The Lee hand held loading press came in very handy for the 9mm, I must have de-primed and sized 10,000 cases watching TV with the wife! I killed two birds with one stone, I was doing load work prep and getting brownie points for quality time! plus I was exercising my arms and hands.

#15 ·
I would really recommend a single stage to start out with. I got the rockchucker about a year ago, and while it does not set any speed records, I think that is a good thing for new reloaders. With the single stage press you actually learn the fundamentals of each process, rather than just pulling the handle and making a bullet that may or may not have problems. Speed should never be your primary concern when it comes to reloading, especially if it is something you are new at.

You can buy a rock chucker kit, which includes the press, powder thrower, scale, lube kit, & loading block for about $300 bucks. Everything but the press/ powder thrower can be reused when you are proficient enough to upgrade to a progressive press. You also always have the option of selling your single stage equipment when you upgrade, offsetting the cost. Or you could just keep it around for rifle calibers you may want to load on a progressive press because you only shoot 50 rounds a year.

My opinion is that you need to learn what each step of reloading is about before you worry about speed.

I have probably reloaded 5 or 6 thousand rounds this year ranging from 9mm to .223. Once I load another 3 or 4 thousand rounds, I might upgrade to a dillon 550. But, I still feel like there is more I need to know before I get away from single stage reloading.

Either way you decide to go, just be aware that you will become more addicted to shooting and everything gun related because of it.

When you shoot factory ammo you just shoot and then go home. When you reload you shoot, pick up your brass, clean your brass, then reload it. All the while worrying about which powder, which primer, which bullet, which seating depth etc. You worry about velocity, pressure, etc. Despite all this it makes shooting better because you are much more in tune with what you are doing.

Also, buying reloading components becomes more of a fetish for a lot of guys than buying guns. There is just something about seeing 50 lbs of gun powder, or 15000 primers sitting in the cabinet that just makes me happy, and you will probably find the same thing true for you.

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction :)

#17 ·
I have never reloaded, and although it is late in the game, I think I can afford to just as a hedge against harder times. Which reloader should I purchase? I have my eye on an RCBS RockChucker. Is this sufficient?
When the question (is this sufficient?) arises my first question to you would be define sufficient. All presses are sufficient to reload ammunition, in that regard the rock chucker is sufficient. There are pros and cons to different reloading presses. The trick is to pick the style of press best suited to your reloading needs. And does it fit into your budget.

If you are looking for high output with minimal time invested in the process, then a progressive press is what would be needed. Progressive presses have a following among high volume shooters such as competitive pistol shooters and those involved in organized shooting sports. These folks, while they tend to shoot a lot they will (generally speaking) tailor their reloading to a few calibers specific to a particular sport.

If you are looking to reload and do not need the high output provided by a progressive press then a single stage press such as the rock chucker would be sufficient to meet your reloading needs. While they have made progerssive presss a lot easier to set up and change calibers. The single stage press really shines when it comes to ease of set up and caliber changes.

The hand held presses have there place and shine when portability or space saving is concerned. They are slower to use than both the single stage and progerssive, yet can turn out a quality reload. These presses are often used when a dedicated reloading space is not available.

It boils down to which reloading press is the best fit for you and meets your needs. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Observer
#18 ·
I started on the RCBS single stage back when I was a kid. It's a solid and well made press. I learned to make match grade ammo on that thing. The down side is that single stage presses are slow. At the time that didn't matter to me. I had evenings after school and all weekend to make loads. And we shot mostly bolt action target guns anyway.

But if you'll be needing more volume, you might look into a progressive. It's hard to beat the Dillon 550 for quality, price and speed. I see people recommend single stage presses for new reloaders a lot. But you can learn to reload just as easily on a progressive. I've known many new reloaders who started with them and had no problems at all. Afterall, you're doing it one stage at a time anyway.

#19 ·
I have an RCBS Jr press that I have been using for nearly 40 years. I recently bought a Hornady Lock-n-Load after doing a great deal of research on the various brands. You can't go wrong with the Dillon, or for that matter, an RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Redding, or several others. I just found the Hornady to be best for my purposes.
I would suggest that you buy both a single stage press, and a progressive. Learn on the single stage, then when you get proficient you can move on to the progressive. You can still use the single stage for working up experimental loads that you won't need many of, then crank out the ones you like on the progressive.
My main reason for reloading is not necessarily to save money, but rather as a hedge for a possible time when there is no more ammunition. This could be caused by a SHTF situation, or Morons in Washington. Either way it will mean an end to life as we know it.

#21 ·
Even for surplus rifles there are benefits to reloading. For example, you can make better quality ammo for about the same price as surplus ammo. Or you make ammo for guns that ammo is hard to find for, such as the Swiss K-31. One of the most accurate military guns ever made.

#23 ·
I reload for a dozen calibers or so, and I use an older RCBS JR 2, The RCBS JR, I started with 30 years ago went to one of my kids, and is still going strong. I have reloaded an unknown amount of ammo over the years (its a bunch) with a single stage press, just never really warmed up to the progressive presses or turret presses. I think reason has to do with some problems and issue early on with the designs. Which have long since been worked out. GTG..

It's important, no matter the press you settle on to learn and develop sound and safe reloading practices. Remember the person in charge of QC is going to be you. Be safe and have fun.

Reactions: Observer
#24 ·
Cool gentlemen! Great information. I have plenty of budget to get started and would probably reload for a dozen firearms at minimal. I have millions of hours with firearms so I have the safety and QC under control. I more or less just always saved reloading so I would always have something else to delve into. I think I will have plenty of time this winter here in Ohio...I also have designated permenant space in my basement..

#25 ·
Might want to look around at a used single stage; it's really not that uncommon for folks to go big early and wind up spending enough to run a commercial loading shop but rarely use it if at all. Lots of good used presses to be had, as well as dies, and the good companies honor their warranties even if your not the original owner.

And consider this, you CAN have a set up that'll load all the ammo you could shoot in a year in just a matter of hours. Or you could slow down, start manual on each step, and really fine tune your loads. It took me an hour tonight to load 50 rds of 44 magnum, with a hand press, magnetic scale for each load, checking every couple with a caliper for OAL. Watched an episode of a favorite show. I'll shoot this and see how it goes, take notes and adjust my load accordingly next time. I'm out of bullets, but I've got 100# of free wheel weight alloy already in muffin ingots, an old cast iron pot, propane grill, and a mold so in another hour I could throw about 100 240gr swc that pass muster. Guess I'm trying to say that reloading is a hobby all by itself; no need to rush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.