Survivalist Forum banner

Buying ammo online

13K views 61 replies 48 participants last post by  hoplite59 
#1 ·
Does anyone do this? If so can you suggest any sites?

Thanks

#10 ·
try ammoman.com and wideners.com

Not that I'm trying to pry, but what sort of ammunition are you looking to purchase? Some items, like 500 round boxes of .22LR are almost always going to be cheaper locally (they're heavy to ship by weight relative to their value) while other, more specialized items, make sense for online purchase.

Also, please consider that not all ammunition is created equal...some performs much more reliably and accurately than other, seemingly identical items from a different manufacturer.

Finally, there are different configurations within the same caliber. 9mm, for example, comes in 115 grain full metal jacket, round nosed rounds and in 124 grain jacketed hollow point rounds (or 123 grain depending on what you buy) so it can be important to know what the weapon "likes to eat" as well.

Hope that helps without being too confusing.

This post has been deleted
#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the great suggestions, I'm looking for .22, .9mm, .223, 30 - 30 .7mm and 12 gauge. I live in a very small town where I've found based on the price of gas it's just as inexpensive to grocery shop here, however we go shooting a lot and I just thought it would be a good idea to try buying ammo online instead of driving into town.
I am not terribly well versed in the pros and cons of various brands, I was thinking I'd just order the same stuff I already have, or wait until my husband is home and awake as he's the one who used to buy the stuff anyway.

#22 ·
FYI - some people I'm associated with have recently had thier CCs compromised by purchasing some ammo from online sites. The common concensous is that they think it's happened from ammoman.com, HOWEVER this has not been proven.

Point I'm making is to use a virtual credit card with a finite amount of monies on it to protect yourself. Check with your CC company onhow to create these virtual cards.

#28 ·
Anyone know a good source for larger capacity .22 LR magazines for a Savage model 65 rifle? I'd lke to get enough mags to hold 500+ rounds, just to have on hand if ever needed. If so, what's a good price per clip? Also, should they be kept loaded, or will that weaken the springs? Finally, is there a "best" size or round capacity (i.e., 25 rounds, 50 rounds, etc.) in terms of reliability? Thanks for the feedback.

#33 ·
Make your own thread for your own questions, dont hijack an existing one :)

I buy from cheaperthandirt, aimsurplus and cabelas. I only do cabelas when they have sales +shipping deals since even though you get a free ammo can (which are rather nice too) the prices can be gotten slightly better elsewhere for normal buys.

#29 ·
SgAmmo.com. Fantastic prices. Very fast shipping and their shipping rates are very reasonable. Here is my last order from them:

1× 440 rds - 7.62x54R Russian Military Surplus 148 gr Light Ball Ammo $73.95
1× 50 rds - 40 cal Winchester Ranger 180 gr Bonded Hollow Point $15.95
Subtotal: $89.90
UPS: $16.00
Shipping Insurance: $0.90
Total: $106.80

No sales tax and no faxed copy of ID required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.