Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Ladies Section
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 11-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,045 Times in 1,262 Posts

Advertise Here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Canada

If you really want to own a gun in Canada, you can. It just takes more effort.

Or you could move to Vermont

You should check and see if there are any gun clubs in your area you could go and take a class at.
Usually, it's easier to get a shotgun and ammo than a handgun, so maybe just get a 20 gauge to start. That should be enough to get rid of an intruder . And basically you just point and shoot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 5,331 Times in 2,162 Posts

Hmmm... Looks like he didn't invent it, it's a course you can take lots of places!

http://wrongwoman.wordpress.com/2011...sive-firearms/
Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 PM

I highly suggest starting up kung-fu classes if they are in your area. I find, as a woman on the short side, that kung-fu can do the best job at addressing size and strength differences and gives me the more realistic solutions to dealing with those. Karate and many of the other martial arts are more "linear", if that makes sense at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to lemonade For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 02:56 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonade View Post
I highly suggest starting up kung-fu classes if they are in your area. I find, as a woman on the short side, that kung-fu can do the best job at addressing size and strength differences and gives me the more realistic solutions to dealing with those. Karate and many of the other martial arts are more "linear", if that makes sense at all.
Another alternative that addresses the disparity of power issues well is aikido. I took that for 4 1/2 years and never regretted a moment spent. Wonderful, wonderful art IMO. It's more circular than karate or kung fu even, an internal passive art rather than external & aggressive like karate. T'ai chi is also great but takes much longer to be street effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,413 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Too bad you're in Canada and have obstacles to overcome to get a gun. You should try to get one anyway, and learn how to use it. Personally, I'm glad that I'm where I am and my only obstacle to getting whatever I want is coming up with the money. Personally, I think every law-abiding woman should have a gun and know how to use it.

After all they are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 PM

Thankfully we are an open carry state but most of the people are smart enough to get their concealed carry permits and not freak out the poor shoppers at the local WalMart etc. Learning self defense is a wonderful thing for any of us to do but.......what the heck happens when there are to many for one person to take out? 17 rounds in a Glock in knowledgeable hands will take care of most situations nicely.
One thing that drives me crazy to watch on television is how much wasted time people use trying to yank an assailants hands off from around their neck when being choked. Why waste time pulling on something that as a female....grrrrrrr.....you probably aren't going to be able to loosen. Save your oxygen and use the two simple tools you have on you hands.....you pick them, thumbs or fingers. Grab the assailants head,easier if in that person is in front of you, and shove your fingers(thumbs) deep into the eye sockets. Bend your finger or thumb to the side a little and yank staight out. Nasty, gooey yes.....assailant can't see so highly unlikely to follow you. Do it well and do it fast. You only have so much oxygen....don't waste it.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:34 PM
It is what it is.

Thanked 3,923 Times in 1,270 Posts

My sons and husband were into martial arts but I prefer the more direct approach of Tim Larkin. Short version is he distilled out all the civilized stuff from various martial arts and then started looking at how really bad injuries happened in sports and accidents to come up with his courses. His approach is direct and very brutal but it is effective. Effective to the point he was actually not allowed to come to England at one point because the government felt he was too dangerous in his teachings. He has classes and also has some really good videos check out his site TargetFocus.com and consider buying his videos but you need to back it up with some time at the gym and it is best to have some hapless male willing to allow you to practice on him. Just come to it with the right attitude. You are not trying to learn how to frighten someone. You are learning how to seriously injure of kill an attacker. This isn't something you would want to treat lightly or to do halfway. You have to be willing to actually use this when the time comes. His approach is that violence is a tool just like any other. He trains a lot of military and law enforcement groups and is one of the best. He offers classes too.

I strongly feel that as much as I like guns they are not enough. Most violence that happens to women comes from someone they know and by the time you decide to shoot them it may be too late. Also, you might be in a situation where a gun jams etc. so while guns are good they are not the end all and be all of self defense - nothing is.

Learn to throw a knife. There are lots of good videos out there and on youtube as well. The main thing is really just practice. Put a piece of plywood on the wall and make a target on it shaped like a man. Men do not expect women to know how to throw a knife effectively and you can catch them off guard.

Tazers are good. Get a dog, even a small one will bark and give you warning. Time and removing the element of surprise is a big thing. Mace is nice but I like wasp spray better. I have multiple bottles in each room. It shoots a much longer distance and is a nerve gas so it blinds and disables an attacker. Oh yes, cut your hair if you can part with it. Being yanked around by the head of the hair is one of the most annoying ways to lose a fight. Also make your home a hard target. You know the joke about not having to out run the bear just the other guy trying to get away from the bear - it fits here too. Someone is going to be robbed, hurt etc. the world is a violent place but bad guys don't want to get caught so they pick soft targets. The same goes for your personal appearance. Look around you, be aware and don't look like an easy target.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mominator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM
One with everything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
The local community college will probably have the one-day course required before you can apply for your PAL (possession and Acquisition License). I took it one Saturday; it isn't that difficult and I think it cost about $65 when I did it. Phone around, take the course...do it.
For those in Kanuckistan (er, Canada... grins) this is the best advice I've heard in a long time. Seriously - I understand the course is actually pretty interesting, and will give you a LOT of the information you will need... well worth the investment of a day and under $100... Of course, you can also choose to have other defensive items (my pruning hookknife - from when I lived in Italy - is still my bestest clsoe quarter friend!) but that way you have options. And in a SHTF scenario, you want as many options as you can get!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwoman View Post
<snip> One thing that drives me crazy to watch on television is how much wasted time people use trying to yank an assailants hands off from around their neck when being choked. Why waste time pulling on something that as a female....grrrrrrr.....you probably aren't going to be able to loosen. Save your oxygen and use the two simple tools you have on you hands.....you pick them, thumbs or fingers. Grab the assailants head,easier if in that person is in front of you, and shove your fingers(thumbs) deep into the eye sockets. Bend your finger or thumb to the side a little and yank staight out. Nasty, gooey yes.....assailant can't see so highly unlikely to follow you. Do it well and do it fast. You only have so much oxygen....don't waste it.
TV isn't the right place to learn self-defense, not at all. A dojo is definitely the better spot. The instructors in my firearms classes dissected various 'way cool" TV scenes and mostly they were a load of crap.

Personally I'd try for a testicle removal via my foot. Eye removal is too messy. LOL
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM

I will not divulge my safety preps here so all I shall say is... they can bring it on...I am prepared in more ways than one.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:06 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,564 Times in 817 Posts

I took Karate classes when I was younger. I would recommend them to anyone. If you are ever in a situation where you're not allowed to carry a gun, at least you can still defend yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to emh1701 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mominator View Post
Mace is nice but I like wasp spray better. I have multiple bottles in each room. It shoots a much longer distance and is a nerve gas so it blinds and disables an attacker. Oh yes, cut your hair if you can part with it. Being yanked around by the head of the hair is one of the most annoying ways to lose a fight. Also make your home a hard target. You know the joke about not having to out run the bear just the other guy trying to get away from the bear - it fits here too. Someone is going to be robbed, hurt etc. the world is a violent place but bad guys don't want to get caught so they pick soft targets. The same goes for your personal appearance. Look around you, be aware and don't look like an easy target.

Thanks for the tip about the wasp spray.

And I need to get practicing with everything I currently have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dare2bdull For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 PM

I have some wasp spray in my shop. I think I'll bring some cans into the house. Thanks for the tip! (This post reminds me to knock down those wasp nests I saw today).
Old 12-18-2012, 08:15 PM

I agree with all the other ladies that have emphasised taking self defence classes and maintaining peak physical fitness and making use of everyday items as weapens when the need might arise but I also feel a lot safer with my dogs on the property with me.
One of my old bitches likes to sleep out on the verandah at night and she is very switched on when it comes to movement outside around the house, her bark may be worse than her bite but she is vocal in her barking.
The other dogs sleep in the house with my son and I. People say that dogs cant be relied on to attack intruders unless they have had the appropriate training but I believe their presence alone can be a deterrent to intruders, they are a wonderful advance warning system, give me great peace of mind and are joy to live with unlike some "woodsmen".

Last edited by robbi; 12-18-2012 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Old 01-10-2013, 03:36 PM
I want a house.

Default Maybe check your By-Laws too?

It's an older thread but one that I feel that I would like to post on. It's within 30 days, so I think I may be okay with it. ^^

Canadians have to go through different hoops. If you find that you are interested, and have the money, then within 2 ish - 6 months and a few hundred at the outside you can pick up something to keep around the house.

Something to think about though is this, and I know there will be those that say "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six" meaning they would rather break a law and be tried for it than be killed.
We have unfortunate "Castle Laws". This is when someone protects what is theirs/themselves with a /thing/. They are then charged for using said /thing/ against the person who was going to hurt them.

The /thing/ may be a baseball bat, or an axe handle (not even the axe head!), or a spade. I have read in other forums for us Canadians, that if one purchases pepper spray to use to defend themselves, they are guilty of breaking the law. If they buy dog/bear spray to ward off a possible dog/bear attack, they are NOT breaking the law. If one then uses this bear/dog spray on humans to defend themselves, they are in a "grey territory", and able to be brought to court.

Hornet spray to ensure that you do not have hornets sounds like an excellent idea. If you happen to just /use/ it out of pure instinct I don't know if you would be considered to have premeditated using it for defense. It's to kill hornets. Don't know if it was used against humans whether it would have the same type of charges laid upon the person using it as someone using pepper spray.

Gun/Rifle laws also need to be consulted.

Having the rifle unloaded, with the lock on, in a separate locked cabinet (I think even on a different WALL) than the locked away ammo doesn't sound like something you could use quickly to defend the home. If you did not store it like this then you may be charged with improper storage.
Our city also has a by-law stating that any firearm (including bb guns and air rifles) are NOT to be discharged within city limits. In fact, I believe only bow fishing for 'rough' fish are allowed with bow and arrow. (I don't believe that I will ever be hungry enough to eat cancerous carp, basically harpooning it this way, but that's up the future to decide.)

You may get REALLY good about unlocking the rifle/gun, taking off the safety, unlocking the ammo, rounding the ammo and then protecting yourself. You may practice this several days a week, actually. Sounds like it may be a good idea.
Expect though that the 'law' would not side with you if you ventilated someone with it.

In situations wherein there was no law, people who have used such weapons to protect themselves and their families have been tried as criminals even years later.

I have no easy answers. We have just started, Ram and I. We have tornadoes, snowstorms, the occasional power outage and occasional flooding. About once a year a water main breaks. That means right now we have exactly four flashlights (hand crank and battery), 4 extra blankets, a few candles, a fondue pot, some fondue fuel, a crank radio, smallish first aid kit, a Berkey Go, and enough food and water to last us maybe three weeks. There's some tp, paper plates and platic spoons.
We also have twenty bucks in fives and two dollar coins here. Oooooooo please don't steal our mad preps!
We do have a shovel, to move snow away from the rented door if it comes down hard, but it sits in the centre of the house for easy pickup.

There is no money to buy a PAL. There is no money to buy a rifle. There is no money to pay for a car. We walk or bus everywhere, or take a cab. Maybe one day we will have something to fight over; until then I hear you! It'd be good to have protection in our own home, and not have to worry that the government gives too much consideration to the bad guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ewe For This Useful Post: