Survivalist Forum banner

.22 Revolver

11K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  Rhino78 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get my wife a .22 revolver to plink with because it is cheaper to shoot then her S&W 10.

She is dead set on a .22 revolver and nothing else, does anyone have any experience with some inexpensive .22 revolvers?

I've owned S&W, Taurus, Ruger etc...but none in .22, any suggestions?

#6 ·
Well, the mainstay is Ruger Single Six, but that's "cowboy style".

There's a real dearth of currently produced .22 wheel guns, though. I can't really think of any others..seems Taurus makes a couple. Their site is down right now, can't verify.

Oh, Smith and Wesson makes two "classics" in .22LR, about a grand each. :)

If you can find them, H&R made a bunch of different ones, usually sell used for $150 or less.
I have a 922, great pistola.

- OS

#9 ·
Heritage makes a good single action .22 revolver. I bought mine new and it came with two different cylinders. One for 22 lr and the other for 22 mag. I paid $175 for mine so it doesn't break the bank. What Varmit posted you can buy 3 Heritage pistols for the price of one of those Rugers. Since your wanting something just to go out and shoot around with then I suggest a Heritage. Here's a review from youtube.

#11 ·
Heritage makes a good single action .22 revolver. I bought mine new and it came with two different cylinders. One for 22 lr and the other for 22 mag. I paid $175 for mine so it doesn't break the bank. What Varmit posted you can buy 3 Heritage pistols for the price of one of those Rugers.
Looks like a nice little low budget plinker. Yeah, you're right on with
your 3-for-1 price comparison. Happened to take a glance at the
Single Sixes in the gun counter a couple of days ago. In the
mid-$500's. Yikes. :eek: (Got my stainless single six a couple
of years ago for $350, which didn't seem quite as painful.)

How's the replacement parts market for the Heritage? The video
noted that the gun does have some parts that tend to wear out
faster than a higher dollar gun. Do you know if those parts are
easy to find and replace?

Otherwise, form and function, it looks like a pretty accurate
clone of the Ruger. Hard to argue with that sub-$200 price range.

#18 ·
I agree with Greenhorn. If you want, try to find a good used S&W Model 17 aka K22 Masterpiece. It is the same size frame as her Model 10, so she should be able to transition between the two rather easily.

Like American Chestnut says, you may have to pay more for one than you want but IMHO it'll be worth it.

#22 ·
I bought a Heritage 22lr/22mag about three weeks ago. I have already put a 550 brick of LR's through it and about 100 CCI Maxi Mag 22 Mags. Absolutely the best $169 I have ever spent. I liked it so much that I got another today.

For the price I think it would be foolish not to have a few around the house in the end tables and kitchen cabinets loaded up with 22 mags as just in case guns to get you to the larger calibers.

#23 ·
The Ruger Single-Six is a great single action revolver. I have one and really like it.
I've also shot the Taurus 9-shot .22 double action revolver. It comes in 2 1/2", 4" or 6" barrel and stainless or blue. It's a great gun, looks and operates like an S&W but much less expensive. Very accurate and durable.
I'd say get her the Taurus, she can shoot it single or double action, and have nine shots instead of six.

#26 ·
i just bought a walther p22--in black-they also come in 2 tone -pink being one option-getting this thing back out of my wifes hands is like prying a paint can lid off with your tounge, LOL!! we both just love it ,steven,ps-the ffl i work with has a few on sale and he will ship any where,his name is steve fritts of S+F shooting supplies-phone is -541-447-2292-tell him steve sr sent ya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.