Survivalist Forum banner

Revolver?

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  diesel 
#1 ·
In a few weeks I will be applying for my pistol purchasing license since I am 21 now (this is the legal age in NY.) This will be my first pistol and will be used for target shooting and home defense. I didn't want a glock because I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a safety on it, this really scares me. I am going to be looking at the guns when I actually get the license but I was looking at the Taurus 850B .38 special revolver. Does anybody own one of these or know anybody that does? What do you/they think? HERE is the gun with the specs. I personally think maybe a .357 mag would be too much power for me for my first pistol but I want something higher than a .22. Do you think this is a decent gun?

#2 · (Edited)
My opinion - Do not buy a 38 special. Buy a 357 magnum and shoot 38 special rounds through it. This was common practice before autos became so popular.

Some police departments still require the deputies to practice with a revolver, so they use 38 special rounds in a 357 pistol.

What the **** is a "pistol purchasing license?"

Get a 4 inch barrel. To get the full effect of a revolver, get one with a hammer. There is nothing like cocking back the hammer, then squeezing the trigger.

This is my smith & Wesson Model 66 combat magnum. It was given to me by my mom and dad as a graduation present. The pistol sleeps between the mattress and box springs of my bed, and it is NOT loaded.

Attachments

#4 ·
my experience with taurus revolvers was not good and in fairness it was many years ago....personaly i would opt for a used s&w.....but thats just me....as to the 38spl....there is nothing wrong with your cartrige choice....the 38spl has a prooven track record for defence and it makes a fine target round.....i would also like to compliment you on choosing a revolver for your first pistol..... it is a fine way to learn gun handling and shot placement instead of firepower...also... you can save your spent cases more easaly for reloading...........

#8 ·
I have not found the two inch barrel revolver in a 357 configuration that much easier to carry consealed than 4 inch barrel. Really for survival considerations the most effective configuration should be the major consideration. I do have a light weight 38 special Model 37 S&W it is a three inch barrel. With it I get a better sight line and a little less muzzel flash. I also get a bit more perfromance from the +P ammo I load in it for defensive use. A thought to consider in using a Magnum grade gun is the shorter the barrel tha less performance. Generally this is because high perfromance ammo gets ther performance by using slower burning powders to get the increases of velosity but not overload the pressure limits. It need barrel length to have the burn time to prepel the bullet.\
Why carry teh extra weight and bulk of a 357 mag 2 inch revolver when you will get close to the same performance from a light weight more compact 38 special..
In a revolver for the field the 357 in a 4 to 6 inch configuration will serve you well.

#10 ·
My first pistol was a taurus .357 mag stainless with a 6 inch barrel. I did have to send it back a couple of times but, I had no problems with taurus getting it back to me pretty quick. I do live pretty close to miami though. I agree that if you are going to get one get the .357 mag, you get two for the price of one. I would not have a problem buying taurus again.

Tbull:cool:

#13 ·
Ruger pistols are really underrated. For some reason people pass them up for the more expensive brand names.

Anyone looking to buy a firearm should really consider a Ruger. They give the best value for the money. With some brands, you are paying a couple extra hundred dollars just to have their name on the side of your firearm.

#12 ·
Go with the .357 over the .38 no question about it. In ashooting situation, you'll neither hear the shot nor feel the recoil. Target shoot with .38's in the magnum, it'll last a life time.

I have a S&W586 4" and a Ruger GP100 4". For durability and if i had to pick one....i'd go with the Ruger. It's simple as an anvil and dependable as the sunrise. The deciding factor for me over the S&W for a SURVIVAL weapon is there is no hammer nose to break.

#17 ·
Ruger GP100

I've had my eye on that single action Ruger that has the .357 cylinder and the 9mm cylinder. Are you familiar with their .45 black powder revolver? It's an interesting piece itself (and could be useful if people ever resorted to mixing their own black powder). The kicker is somewhere I saw a conversion kit for that one to .45 Long Colt.

Back to the original topic, the Ruger seems to be built very well. It has a different design from the S&W that eliminates the sideplate. I've had some problems with the last 2 or 3 Smith & Wesson products I have purchased.

I really appreciate the response from Kev to my statement. This site seems very friendly and respectful from what I have seen so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.