Survivalist Forum banner

which revolver?

5K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Wild Bill 
#1 ·
who makes a better revolver....smith & wesson or ruger?

#3 ·
How do you want to define better? Better as in cylinder capacity would be S&W. Better as in the way it's built, Ruger. Better as in gonna last forever...they're equal to me, but I have a feeling given a few dozen years and a couple thousand rounds, Ruger might hold up a bit better....

#6 ·
WELL............

I own mutiple of both the brands, Smith contiunes to do bigger and better things with there series of guns but if I could have only one a double action, (caliber of your choice here). RUGER HANDS DOWN. Warning get a action job, Hamilton Bowen Extreme back country sights and the cylinder mouth camphered and your set.

Rifleman 336

#11 ·
Both Ruger and S&W make good revolvers the difference is more a matter of preference, than one actually being better than the other.
Pick one and go with it. Simple as that...
Peter

#13 ·
Ruger does have a small edge.....

Rugers GP-100 (.357 Magnum) has a "stronger" frame than the S&W 686. But the Ruger is easier to disassymable for a thorgh cleaning not that both need deep clanings. The Smith and Wesson becomes easier with practice, but Rugers take down involes removing the cylinder and hitting the take down latch and remove the trigger group, easy as that. Ruger is slightly cheaper too. One other thing that sold me was the was the cylinder latch is captured and not free to fall off because of the loose screw.

In the end if you like S&W go with Smith & Wesson go with it, there great they have't been in continuious for 109 years for nothing! Ruger just used differant way of thinking and made them even more afforable to boot.

As far as the RedHawk .44 and .45 LC is concerned it's more rugged than the model 29 in regaurds to full house and heavy loads. And if you want 300 + grain bullets then the Red Hawk and Super Redhawk are the way to go. The Model 25 (N frame .45 LC) is under factory advisory not to shoot +P and or Magnumised loads. The Red Hawk could could shoot .454 Cusuall if it was so chambered.

Remember just because it's a magnum doesn't mean you have to shoot them, regular Long Colts and .44 Specials work great for defence as is when given good hollow points.

Rifleman336

Rifleman 336

#14 ·
Ive lost interest in smith and wesson ever since they installed the internal lock. They claimed it doesnt affect reliability...turns out it does. Wikipedia had a nice picture too of what happens when it fails...turns our if your getting assaulted and the lock...well...locks your dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_and_Wesson#Internal_locking_mechanism

Also good to note that the only reason they are installing said locks is because they are making money off of them.

#15 ·
Ive lost interest in smith and wesson ever since they installed the internal lock. They claimed it doesnt affect reliability...turns out it does. Wikipedia had a nice picture too of what happens when it fails...turns our if your getting assaulted and the lock...well...locks your dead.

Also good to note that the only reason they are installing said locks is because they are making money off of them.

Rifleman336: If you like the gun their are custom gunsmiths that Can take out the lock parts. Accutally you can do it youself just get Jerry Meculack's video on Smith and Wesson disassembly and taking apart the lock parts easy just that the custom Smith can fill it. One warning though, when you remove the lock if you return it to the factory for warranty repairs it will void it. which means you'll have to reinstall them before doing so.

#17 ·
When I taught firearms training, the Rugers held up better than any other gun. Those things are so sturdy it even amazed me, a guy who didn't like Rugers. I've got to give them credit. Their revolvers are as reliable as AK-47 rifles. Smith & Wesson, Colt and other pistols just aren't as dependable as Rugers.

#21 ·
Don't take a chance get both!

#23 ·
My dad is a Smith and Wesson guy through and through.
He had Rugers and Smiths when I was growing up and always let me shoot the Rugers more than the Smiths (he really loves his Smiths).
From shooting both of them an at early age, and through to where I am today, I have to say, I am a Ruger fan.
I have a GP100 in .357 that is not only a GREAT looking gun but is a hardcore workhorse and tough as nails. I also bought a .44mag Super Blackhawk for a song and a dance at a local gunshop (no one wanted it cause it was single action), that blackhawk is a monster to carry, but it is the samething - pure workhorse and sees my hip when I am hunting in the nasty nasty stuff and nasty weather during hunting season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.