Survivalist Forum banner

Light Bulbs

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  charlie - uk 
#1 ·
Modern Light Bulb Info
From http://preppersuk.freeforums.org
By NR
Bit of clarification about light bulbs
Incandescent bulbs turn electricity into 90% heat and only 10% light almost the most wasteful
Halogen bulbs like found in many kitchens are even worse 95% heat 5% light and devour electricity
Energy REDUCING bulbs similar to Incandescent turn power into 70% heat and 30% light
Low energy (EE) using fluorescent bulbs are over 75 to 85 % LIGHT and only 25/15 % heat
(Can not be dimmed and do contain tiny amounts of mercury like strip lights do)

LED light bulbs are over 96% efficient IE they turn 96% of the electricity they use into light and are very frugal consumers of power (Also they can last over 100,000 hours compared with the average 120 hours for incandescent and 70 hours for halogen)

For a high quality WHITE or Blue white light (excellent for reading or working under) that are VERY VERY reliable and equally very energy efficient look at the new wave of LED bulbs for domestic use coming onto the market.

In NRs home all the bulbs are now
Low Energy efficient fluorescent bulbs in the main lights in all rooms, plus GU10 LED conversion bulbs in reading and work lights and over kitchen work tops.
Most modern EE bulbs brighten up to full power far faster than earlier generations did.

MY Lighting Energy use was

LR 8x60w= 480 Watts
Kitchen 1 x 100W plus 4 100w halogens =500 watts
BR 1 100 W
BR 2 100 W
BR 3 100 W
BATHROOM 3X60 W = 180Watts
Garage 1 x 100 W
Conservatory 4 x 60 W =240 Watts

1350 Watts of Lighting

Energy use is NOW
LR 8 x 7 W EE = 56Watts
Kitchen 1 x 7 W EE plus 4 x 2.8W LEDs =18.2W
BR’s 1,2 & 3 total 3 x 7 W EE = 21 W
BATHROOM 3 X 7 W EE = 21W
Garage 1 X 7 W EE
Conservatory 4 X 7 W EE = 28 Watts

151.2 Watts of Lighting
If you can live with this type of light then you can save a lot of money over the years, but I accept some folks just don’t like anything but filament incandescent bulbs.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just so N.R, I like you have replaced all my incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescents. The amount of electricity saved is considerable. I welcome the gradual phasing out of incandescent bulbs & in the future plan to transition to led bulbs when the price of them becomes reasonable...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.