Survivalist Forum banner

How to sharpen a machete?

12K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  bunkerbuster 
#1 ·
I bought a Gerber machete with a saw back and its a little dull. This is my first machete and want to get it sharp the right way. What do I need and how do I do it? Thanks guys!

#10 ·
Clamp it to a table or bench and use the file with both hands. Maybe wear leather gloves if you are worried. You can get it done fast. It does not need to be perfect since they are soft metal and need sharpening quite often. You can wear them out after a couple years of regular sharpening. Bring the file (6 or 8 inch is about right) with you if working all day and touch it up during lunch break. A coating of boiled linseed oil will keep it from rusting if it sits in your bag and goes unused for a while.

#19 ·
I have a good collection of files in the shop and yes the best are Nicholson. Which I do use for important work. But to leave in the truck I buy some cheap ones form Harbor Freight. That way if they do rust I don't feel so bad. The cheap ones do work, they just loose their edge quickly.

One skill I learned at a very young age was how to sharpen edged tools. Something I am eternally grateful to my grandfather for. I have just about every sharpening tool in the shop. I rarely use a stone on a larger blade. The right file can do the job most of the time.

#16 ·
I sit down, rest the blade over my thigh, and file AWAY from the edge. turn it over, use the other hand on the file, on the other thigh. a magic marker suffices to darken the blade, showing you where each stroke of the file has gone, until you develope a "feel" for it.

#24 ·
I do my blades for the mowers regularly on a (6 years and going strong) 60$ bench grinder from Harbor freight....

I hit that thing hard and it doesn't really matter if mower blades get hot....soft metal, not hardened....

I VERY lightly work the fine wheel along the machete blade if it's bad (don't let it rest or get hot) .....it takes some finesse.... definitely use a file to finish....

The neighbor likes to bring me his roughed up machete and I'm not about to take a file to it for him - a couple swipes and it's back in "chopping" sharp.

#25 ·
For brush clearing I’ve never really had a need to sharpen. But the best edge I’ve ever gotten was with a harbor freight electric chainsaw sharpener (basically a grinding stone). That thing got it so sharp it cut the sheath.

Most of the time I just try and use a wet cinder block though..

Probably not the answer you were looking for but that is what I do.

If you want a more elegant approach I would recommend this method.

#27 ·
My kids got Gerber machetes for Xmas, not quality pieces by far. You want a high-carbon steel, it holds an edge better, has some weight as well. Length, I like a blade between 11" and 14", It should have a good balance to it as well. Anything longer at least to me is best for clearing brush only.

The higher-carbon ones don't sharpen as easily with a file. I like to use stones. I use a double-sided cheap one, this breaks down any dings in the blade quickly. I have had this stone for about 30 years. I finish it off with a Smiths hard Arkansas stone. I use their oil to keep the stones from loading up.

Around 1970 we had an army-navy store around, they sold the real-deal machetes that were military issue to troops in Vietnam. Mine is long gone unfortunately. Those were the best quality I have ever seen.

#28 ·
My kids got Gerber machetes for Xmas, not quality pieces by far. You want a high-carbon steel, it holds an edge better, has some weight as well. Length, I like a blade between 11" and 14", It should have a good balance to it as well. Anything longer at least to me is best for clearing brush only.
Gerber is the Bear Gryll's kind, right? I bought a Bear Gryll's parang a year ago and have been learning how to use it clearing brush in the yard.

The reviews were good on it and it seems to work fairly well, is it really that "bad"?

ETA just realized Gerber makes $12 machetes too, mine wasn't pricey but ran about $40 so I assume it is better quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.