Survivalist Forum banner

How does one sharpen a sword?

5K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  TDFbound 
#1 ·
Help from the experts please::confused::confused:

#3 ·
I'm also looking for information on this topic.
I have two 1/4" thick kukris that need an edge put on them. They're so old that the edges have become worn and duller than a butter knife :)

There's no jig that I can find for cutting an edge on curved blades, so does anyone have any suggestions on hot to cut and edge on a blade short of running them over an 8" grinding wheel?

#4 ·
In the movies they just use a rock...That **** don't work.:eek:
This has worked for me..
On a straight blade(or slight curve like a Katana) I have used a Smith's carbide/ceramic rod sharpener. (Yeah the small cheap 3-4 buck yellow one at walmart)
Clamp the handle of the sword in a vice, edge up.
Starting at the handle end,draw the carbide cutter (yellow thing) slowly out to the tip,it will take several passes.
After you get the edge fairly sharp,flip the sharpener over and use the ceramic rod side to finish the edge up.
Go slow and be extremely careful.And NEVER stand directly in front of the point.
Don't forget the gloves too.

#6 ·
Good advice, Blade. Another method, a bit more portable, is to build a pair of stones matched to the angle of the edge, and use that as a drawing stone from guard to tip. If you want to see a method that works, but is sheer drudgery, google YouTube for videos of the Japanese sharpening katanas and wakazashis....

#12 ·
This guys uses a low speed long belt with 1000 grit. It does not heat up the metal or remove much material at all. When he it done the Cold Steel Grosse Messer is shaving sharp. The main thing is he has been doing it forever and knows what he is doing.

#11 ·
I would advise against this unless you really know what you're doing. Working fast and screwing up fast go hand in hand. Also, belt sanders create a LOT of heat. If sanding/polishing is sustained for a long period of time without good lube, the blade will become quite hot. Wouldn't want to ruin your heat-treatment.

#23 ·
No sword should be "razor" sharp. A razors edge is a thin edge. You want an appleseed shape to the edge. It will be a little less sharp, but still plenty sharp enough to do any cutting you want...and the edge will LAST. That's the important part. You can have it crazy sharp, then chip or dull it on one cut. Then you have a dull, chipped blade. If you have it a little less sharp and more reinforced, it will still be plenty sharp enough to use, but will remain usable for much longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.