Survivalist Forum banner

Ive been trying to sharpen my axe and machete

9K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Domindart 
#1 ·
I got a new machete that came very dull. Decided to get out my old coleman hatchet also which was never sharpened. Took a old file, cleaned it w a wire brush, and started to file away on the hatchet and machete. Hatchet is getting pretty damn sharp, machete is sharper but still pretty dull, taking some time.

So I bought one of those round sharpening stones on ebay. Will be using it on the hatchet. Can I use this on the machete also, after I file some more and get it pretty sharp? I understand that some people prefer their machete to not be really sharp, but Im having fun seeing how sharp I can get it.

#5 ·
I sharpen my machete on a 80" belt sander, it does a decent job I haft to be careful not to get it too hot. My axes I use a combination of belt sander, knife grinder and Whet stones. my axes are sharpe enough to shave with. I have a collection of temberframe tools. The ax's I refer to are broad axes.

#10 ·
Doesn't matter what it is made of. It just has to be abrasive and the grit harder than the blade.

I never try to put too fine an edge on a hatchet or machete because they are rough work tools. A fine edge will not stay fine for very long hacking and chopping.

Do a search on youtube.

#11 ·
Whoa, do yourself a favor and take that $6 coleman hatchet back to the store. "Coleman camp axe" is the poorest quality "axe" I have ever seen. Do a quick youtube search and you will see someone taking 4.5 minutes to chop through a dry 4" limb AFTER sharpening it and user is worn out. (It doesnt help that he is using his forearms to swing it either).

Everything out there is an upgrade from a coleman axe.

#13 ·
Well, there may be better ones, but in my opinion coleman has some okay items and this hatchet has worked for what I do. Ill wait till it breaks :thumb:

bill,

Yes this is what Ive heard - that u dont want too fine an edge on a hatchet or machete, but I also see (via youtube) that some people prefer to sharpen as much as they want..

But thanks for the clarification.. I get confused w all these opinions and methods of sharpening.. (anything more abrasive than the blade :thumb:)

#14 ·
Yes this is what Ive heard - that u dont want too fine an edge on a hatchet or machete, but I also see (via youtube) that some people prefer to sharpen as much as they want..

But thanks for the clarification.. I get confused w all these opinions and methods of sharpening.. (anything more abrasive than the blade :thumb:)
Earlier when I said my Machete will shave that is only the part of the blade closest to the handle. Look at this Youtube video on machete use and how he Modded his and why.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/Colhane#p/c/976B2EFDFC6A804F/9/p9DfsC62MoQ

This is the same guy in the field sharpening his machete.....
http://www.youtube.com/user/Colhane#p/c/976B2EFDFC6A804F/2/Tqm2iB9jMyI

ETA: This is how he does the Mods....
http://www.youtube.com/user/Colhane#p/c/FD9058ED1A7EE1E4/1/IsZb_1XfFHo

Now I'm not saying a machete has to, or needs to be Modded, but it can make it more versatile.

#20 ·
Easiest way to sharpen an axe or a chisel for that matter is with an angle grinder and a diamond blade. Use the grinder for shaping and rough edge and finish it off with a stone or whatever if you want it perfect. Trick is to do it quickly and smoothly without letting it heat up too much. Just a grinder edge is quite sharp with little tiny abrasions which makes it all the meaner. A pass or two on one side of the machete at low speed will put an edge on guaranteed. But I'd probably only do that if it was real dull or chipped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.