Survivalist Forum banner

How do you sharpen?

4K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Survivalguy72 
#1 ·
Im looking at starting to sharpen my own knives..What kind of system do use that you have found to do a great job?

I have several folders of different metal and a couple fixed blades. One folder does have serrations. Thanks for any and all help!

#2 ·
There are different levels of sharpening systems out there.

Basic stones can cost $10. I like a DMT folding system for the ease of packing it in a bag it is around $20

There is the Spyderco Tri Angle Knife Sharpener
which is around $60.

Then you can get $400 systems like Edge Pro which I believe is the best of the best.

For what you are looking for I would suggest the Spyderco Tri Angle Knife Sharpener, it can be used on serrations as well and does a good job.

#5 ·
I recommend a diamond sharpener. They are much better than stones.....they remove a lot of metal but still leave a fine edge compared to the amount of steel getting taken off.
The fallkiven dc4 is a good choice, it has a diamond side that will take out nicks and such, and another ceramic side that will give you a nice sharp edge.

#6 ·
Not to ba a smart rear-end, but it depends on your knife(s). Hollow ground and flat grind (conventional edges) get yourself a DMT diamond bench stone of fine and extra fine dual sided. Paractice a little, and your set for life.

if you're talking convex edge... well that is different, thin foam mousepad (or craft foam) some auto sandpapaers 400-200 grit from walmart, and a leather strop with compound(s), you're all set.

Even if you are talking only the conventional grinds stated earlier, learn to stop them for the finest edge... it, really is worth the tiny extra effort.

#7 ·
There are several things. One of the most popular are japenese water stones and their artificial counterparts. Another are diamond impregnated rods and sticks. Finally are the EZ guide systems which im not fond of, it was hard for me to learn how to sharpen a knife I wont lie but now that I can its easy. Also im not dependent on an EZ guide system I can use all sorts of objects if I needed too.

#9 ·
Start collecting sharpening stones and in due time you will be good for any edge you need to sharpen (not speaking of serrated).

I use water stones, I have granite stones and marble stones for very fine edge sharpening, and at the very end of my sharpening session I use a peice of belt leather to gain that "RAZOR" edge.

I find that there is no "One" miracle stone. However I sharpen everything from large custom made bowies (made myself) to small pocket knives, and each are sharpen to an edge that I can shave my face (not just arm\leg hair).

#11 ·
A very easy to follow, simple tutorial for sharpening is given in Mors Kochanski's "Bushcraft".

Or, for a video on many topics regarding knives, look up Purgatory Ironworks on youtube. He also puts to rest the myth of Damascus steel. Which, needless to say, caught me seriously off guard.

#12 ·
Small bastard file (for seriously degraded edges) followed by a wet stone. This will sharpen most knives in my house/tool box/BOB/ whatever.

I used to use a leather strop but a cloth buffing wheel does the same job in about 5 seconds.

I'm not as fussy as I used to be about having a razor edge. I just need it to cut rope and things like that and a blade with a still sharp but rougher edge can sometimes work better.

Favourite blade to sharpen is the knife on my Wave. It gets so sharp you can slice the top of your finger prints off. It's kind of a sleeper blade. People don't expect a multi-tool blade to be very sharp.

#14 ·
Jash, the problem with the rougher edge is that it doesn't stay that way for long at all, unless the edge has significant metal behind it, as in a serrated edge. I'm not entirely qualified to talk about the physics of it all, but if you Youtube Purgatory Ironworks, he gives a much better explanation about this. Just thought it might help...

#17 ·
+1 on the Lanski system. I never could pick up the skill to get a decent
edge on a knife freehanding with a stone. Usually did more harm than good.

Not saying it can't be done -- just admitting that I'm too stupid to do it.

The Lanski system holds your stones at a constant angle on the blade,
(which was probably the source of my problem when trying to free-hand
an edge.)

And I've found a small diamond hone will serve to dress up an edge
a couple of times before I manage to get the edge bevel out of whack
again with my poor free-handing skills.

The Lanski is also available with diamond hones instead of stones, which
seems like it would be a great upgrade if you're willing to pop the extra $$.

#19 ·
I have a Spyderco sharpmaker and it's good for finishing a blade to fine sharpness.

I would not use it for profiling a blade.

I also have a Smiths Tri-hone and it has three stones, coarse, medium and fine. It does a fine job but it's a free hand sharpener that requires some experience to use.

A flat plate diamond sharpener is also very good that will help you profile blades quickly and I feel is must have.

The most important tool is patience as you will learn it as you develop your skills

#20 ·
It depends a lot on what your sharpening.

I have a high-speed wheel with a stone on both sides.

I also use a couple stones by hand, a sharpening-steel, and a ceramic 'steel'.

There were times when the Navy used to require that I shave so I used a leather strop, but for most of my Active Duty career I wore a full beard and only shaved to keep it neatly trimmed.

#23 ·
there are different knife sharpening "tasks" you'll be doing that each require different tools.

for me at first the sharpmaker was perfect, its easy, fast, and will give you back a razor edge. but, i noticed in time it quit working the same way, even with clean rods. the reason is because eventually you'll grind down the edge bevel and the edge will be too thick to take a keen edge. to get a razor edge again you'll have to grind down a new "relief edge" to allow for a thinner edge. you'll have to do this with something more aggressive like a stone or diamond stone. you can use a lansky system if you dont want to learn to do it freehand, but in my experience the lansky system doesnt work with all blades and eventually you'll have one that will have to be done by hand.

so get a sharpmaker and a couple stones and start practicing on cheap knives that you dont care if you ruin, the only way to learn is by practice.

good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.