Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Birchwood Casey Liquid Blue and Rust Remover 3 oz Bottle 16125 Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 04-11-2017 12:59 PM
Remington 783 7mm Rem Mag Bolt Action Rifle 24" Barrel w/3-9x40mm Scope (85848) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 03-03-2017 08:50 AM
Remington 783 .308 Win Bolt Action Rifle 20" Barrel w/3-9x40mm Scope (85853) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 03-03-2017 08:48 AM
Remington 783 .300 Win Mag Bolt Action Rifle 24" Barrel w/3-9x40mm Scope (85849) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 03-03-2017 08:47 AM
Have to spraypaint barrel...best guide? Everymanalion Firearms General Discussion 23 01-22-2017 10:35 PM

Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,828 Times in 1,892 Posts

Advertise Here

Not sure where you bought it but I have seen or friends have experienced some gun shops selling guns as new that have been "played" with by employees.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
Melonite is not a rust proofing treatment.
It may help, but it can still rust.
Melonite (nitrocarburizing) treatment hardens the metal, it does not rustproof it.

S&W is not going to "refinish" the bore, if anything they would replace the barrel.

The early problems they had with the slides does not equate to the OP's bore problem which I feel is not a problem once cleaned.
It's entirely possible that residue from the factory test firing and not actually rust leaching out of the bore itself.

That's why I suggest cleaning it before crying to S&W over what may very well be a non-issue.
Clean it and if it comes back call them.
Pretty smart there.

It's also well known when melonite is done wrong it will cause a rust problem. I didn't read where anyone said it is a rust preventing treatment other than you implying someone did.

They have a spotted history with poorly applying the melonite causing rust issues. I've been around all brands of guns long enough to observe the trend. Incase you haven't noticed, there seems to be a recent trend with M&P pistol rusting. I'm not talking about what's going on with the internet either.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:03 AM
that's like, your opinion

Thanked 23,774 Times in 9,833 Posts

since its brand new i would coordinate with S&W to try to get a new/replacement barrel.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:09 PM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Thanked 3,338 Times in 1,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bones View Post
Pretty smart there.

It's also well known when melonite is done wrong it will cause a rust problem. I didn't read where anyone said it is a rust preventing treatment other than you implying someone did.

They have a spotted history with poorly applying the melonite causing rust issues. I've been around all brands of guns long enough to observe the trend. Incase you haven't noticed, there seems to be a recent trend with M&P pistol rusting. I'm not talking about what's going on with the internet either.
You're correct, I implied that since you made a comment that they may refinish (apply new melonite) it would "cure" the rust issue, so yes I implied that you were implying that it prevents rust, otherwise what would retreating it accomplish?

Yes, the stuff can rust, and that's exactly what happened to the OP's barrel, maybe.
Clean it, shoot it and see if it happens again.
Then go to S&W.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:09 PM
Hunter

Quote:
You're correct, I implied that since you made a comment that they may refinish (apply new melonite) it would "cure" the rust issue, so yes I implied that you were implying that it prevents rust, otherwise what would retreating it accomplish?

Yes, the stuff can rust, and that's exactly what happened to the OP's barrel, maybe.
Clean it, shoot it and see if it happens again.
Then go to S&W.
No. I never implied, anything. I made it clear that improper application (quality control) of melonite causes a rust problem. As in makes it worse than if the metal was even left completely bare. Since an improper application of melonite causes a rust problem, that properly treated steel will be more normal, and rust less. So getting it refinished will fix the accelerated rust property of improperly treated steel. Not the other way around. Your implication went 180 degrees from what I said.

It's not what the treatment accomplishes. It's what improperly applying the treatment accomplishes.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Tactical Tinkerer

Well treatment or no treatment,today I field stripped it and patched it with #9,then brass brushed it with the brush bieing dipped in #9,then patched it dry.The patches came out with a black crud on them, so I repeated the process untill they came out clean.I used a .32 cal brush so as to not be overly aggressive.The red streaking is still there.The bolt face shows way more wear(?) than I would expect from a "test" fireing,more lik several hundred rounds.The bolt face on my 40 yr old 39-2 looks about the same. I put it back together and will shoot it as soon as I am able,maybe a month or so as I am recovering from open heart surgury.Maybe I will have the wife shoot it,but right now I'm not too impressed ,nor do I really care.It just really dissapoints me to get something new that is f(*&^%$) before I can shoot it.Right now, I'd sell it real quick for what I have in it and buy a Ruger.Or,maybe I'll just keep carrying the 39-2,but its sooo pretty,and I am always afraid of marring it up!
The Following User Says Thank You to michiganmuleguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 05:59 AM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmuleguy View Post
Well treatment or no treatment,today I field stripped it and patched it with #9,then brass brushed it with the brush bieing dipped in #9,then patched it dry.The patches came out with a black crud on them, so I repeated the process untill they came out clean.I used a .32 cal brush so as to not be overly aggressive.The red streaking is still there.The bolt face shows way more wear(?) than I would expect from a "test" fireing,more lik several hundred rounds.The bolt face on my 40 yr old 39-2 looks about the same. I put it back together and will shoot it as soon as I am able,maybe a month or so as I am recovering from open heart surgury.Maybe I will have the wife shoot it,but right now I'm not too impressed ,nor do I really care.It just really dissapoints me to get something new that is f(*&^%$) before I can shoot it.Right now, I'd sell it real quick for what I have in it and buy a Ruger.Or,maybe I'll just keep carrying the 39-2,but its sooo pretty,and I am always afraid of marring it up!
Since your cleaning has not removed the stuff, call S&W, tell them, don't ask for, a shipping label and send it back.

One more question, have you dealt with the shop you bought it from before?
Are you positive it was in fact new and not one someone bought and ran some rounds through and then traded back in?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Tactical Tinkerer

It came from palmetto.Ive got stuff before from them that was great,this thing,not so much.I'm going to have my wife run a couple mags thru it and see how it shoots.I bought it for a beater and edc anyway,not a target or safe queen.I still need to know how I get the rebate.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:28 AM
Bunker Hill Patriot

S&W Rebate form:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/rebates
Old 04-21-2017, 06:32 AM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Quote:
It came from palmetto.Ive got stuff before from them that was great,this thing,not so much.I'm going to have my wife run a couple mags thru it and see how it shoots.I bought it for a beater and edc anyway,not a target or safe queen.I still need to know how I get the rebate.
Maybe I'm just suspicious of many people so what I'm asking is have you done business with the receiving FFL in the past?
I wouldn't put it past some shady dealer to intentionally give someone who ordered online a slightly used pistol instead of the brand new one Palmetto sent.
Or maybe they mixed two guns up in the shop?

Again, maybe it's just crappy work on S&W's part, they seem to be good at that, but maybe it something else?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:45 AM
Tactical Tinkerer

LGS is OK.I stop in there quite a bit.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 AM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Quote:
LGS is OK.I stop in there quite a bit.
OK.
Did you see the link I put up for the rebate?
I'd get it sent in now since you said you have some things coming up, better to have it done than forget about it.

Hope your surgery works out for you!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Pork Eating Infidel

Thanked 8,604 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Maybe I'm just suspicious of many people so what I'm asking is have you done business with the receiving FFL in the past?
I wouldn't put it past some shady dealer to intentionally give someone who ordered online a slightly used pistol instead of the brand new one Palmetto sent.
Or maybe they mixed two guns up in the shop?

Again, maybe it's just crappy work on S&W's part, they seem to be good at that, but maybe it something else?
Guns bought through ffl transfer tend to come with paperwork from the original seller - with little things like the oh the serial number on it. Heck sometimes I've been e-mailed a bill of sale from the party of the third part with serial number on it.

I spoze a shady fellow could 'lose the paper work' but can't rally see a dealer bothering. The transfer from another dealer racket is easy money. Make $30 for a few minutes of paper work
Old 04-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Pork Eating Infidel

Thanked 8,604 Times in 2,246 Posts

I'd love to see OP post an after cleaning pic
The Following User Says Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:16 PM
Tactical Tinkerer

Quote:
OK.
Did you see the link I put up for the rebate?
I'd get it sent in now since you said you have some things coming up, better to have it done than forget about it.

Hope your surgery works out for you!
I got it,problem is a recipt.The only "reciept"I have is a conformation of the order in e-mail, and that got deleted when I got the "shipping conformation".I'm probably just screwed,wont be the first time!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Tactical Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr100 View Post
I'd love to see OP post an after cleaning pic
I could do that but it looks the same.Tomorrow I will have someone put fifty or so rnds thru it,then Ill clean it and post it up.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr100 View Post
Guns bought through ffl transfer tend to come with paperwork from the original seller - with little things like the oh the serial number on it. Heck sometimes I've been e-mailed a bill of sale from the party of the third part with serial number on it.

I spoze a shady fellow could 'lose the paper work' but can't rally see a dealer bothering. The transfer from another dealer racket is easy money. Make $30 for a few minutes of paper work
Have you ever bought a gun from Palmetto like the OP did?

Did you get "paperwork" for it mailed to you, or even an email with the serial number listed?
Because I have and I didn't.

I'm not talking about Gunbroker purchases or other online purchases where pictures of the gun allow you to see the serial number or where the seller may email you a "receipt", I'm talking about a shipment of a stocking firearm sent to a receiving FFL from an online business.

Yes, the FFL will get paperwork, but typically the end buyer won't get a copy of this.
I was an FFL and I still work with one as his bookkeeper, I'm a little familiar with how paperwork from a manufacturer or online firearms dealer works.

My point was and is that the OP most likely cannot be sure if the dealer gave him the gun that Palmetto shipped.
Maybe he had a couple in stock already and grabbed the wrong one, maybe a shady FFL could swap the newly shipped one that he could then sell for retail for a barely used one he paid pennies on the dollar for that he had in inventory.
That's what I was getting at.

Years back one of my guys inadvertently gave a customer the "wrong" gun from my inventory.
We did a gun raffle, I had those guns sitting on their own rack.
A guy comes in saying he won a Rem 700 and he gives the guy a Remington 700 he won.
However he actually gave the guy a 700 BDL special run maple stocked one I had ordered for a customer instead of the 700 ADL on the raffle ticket.
The paperwork was done, nothing I could do, I wasn't going to call the guy and tell him I needed his rifle back.
It was a simple mistake, one that cost me $700 because I had to buy another of those maple stocked ones for the customer that ordered it.

That's what I was getting at, is is possible the dealer grabbed the wrong Shield out of the back.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Quote:
I got it,problem is a recipt.The only "reciept"I have is a conformation of the order in e-mail, and that got deleted when I got the "shipping conformation".I'm probably just screwed,wont be the first time!
Could the transferring dealer write up a receipt for the transfer from Palmetto?
That may do, or maybe email Palmetto and ask for something that S&W would accept?

Just throwing out ideas, I hate to see someone lose $75.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Back to no life

Thanked 3,281 Times in 1,505 Posts

Quote:
I could do that but it looks the same.Tomorrow I will have someone put fifty or so rnds thru it,then Ill clean it and post it up.
I would think if it were rust, you would have seen it on the patches when you cleaned the barrel, and you wouldnt be seeing it in the barrel afterwards, unless it was "really" bad, and at that point, it would likely be pitted.

Residual jacket fouling isnt unusual, even after a good cleaning, and again, can at times, look like rust, especially under different lights. I just checked a couple of my Glocks I cleaned last night, and I can still see that fouling in the barrel, although its not real heavy.

If you soak a patch in Hopes or better yet, something like Sweets or Shooters Choice, and swab the barrel, then leave it wet and let it sit overnight, Im betting the patch comes out a bright blue-green color, and the fouling doesnt look quite as heavy afterward.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:24 AM
Hunter

Leave sweets in the barrel over night and there will be a problem, even if there were none the day before.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty Bones For This Useful Post: