Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venezuela Coming Apart LostViking Manmade and Natural Disasters 642 Today 02:56 AM
HAM Radio & Battery Power TDFbound Communications 30 01-20-2017 08:13 PM
Trump should target Los Angeles first for “Sanctuary City” fight! Old Soldier Political News and Discussion 65 01-17-2017 01:56 PM
Question about lead exposure chuck c General Discussion 25 10-29-2016 06:40 AM

Old 04-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Default Lead poisoning across Los Angeles

Advertise Here

I wonder why nobody has pick this particular story about lead poisoning across Los Angeles. I'm interested to know how such major poisoning could even happen in the first place

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/...t/usa-lead-la/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to varuna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,251 Times in 1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by varuna View Post
I'm interested to know how such major poisoning could even happen in the first place
Probably all the usual suspects. Lead in old paint, lead in old pipes, lead in old gasoline. Sometimes it's related to previous industry in the area.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,969 Times in 2,654 Posts

It's the typical Cali based Media BS...

They aren't POISONED, they have "eleveted levels", which is MEANINGLESS until we know the level they consider normal in that area, and what the threshold is for "elevated", and what that means compared to the levels used in REAL places, where they aren't rabidly stupid about things like this.

"More than 17 percent of small children tested here have shown elevated levels of lead in their blood, according to previously undisclosed L.A. County health data."

On the other hand...rampant lead poisoning in California would go a long way to explain their lack of reasoning and logic in the political arena.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:

Old 04-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,933 Times in 3,011 Posts

Lead in .308!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gator Monroe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Unrepentant Deplorable

Thanked 12,646 Times in 3,608 Posts

A place where EVERYTHING is banned because it "contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer" and LA is having a lead poisoning epidemic, talk about irony...LOL
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,933 Times in 3,011 Posts

I bet it's gonna pop in lotsa places with buildings & homes painted over 50 years ago
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gator Monroe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,418 Times in 3,819 Posts

There are pipes running under that city over 100 years old (which are bursting and causing all sorts of problems, but that's another story). They choose to spend their money on illegals and programs for the "needy". If anything it's their own damn fault.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
There are pipes running under that city over 100 years old (which are bursting and causing all sorts of problems, but that's another story). They choose to spend their money on illegals and programs for the "needy". If anything it's their own damn fault.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
In the 70s, I worked for a large utility in the Bay Area. There'd be a main break or maintenance done and they'd haul old pipes back to the yard, and when things were slow they'd sent us out to take them apart. Might be a 12" goin' into a valve or T, and we'd grab a torch and "burn" or melt the lead seal out 'til we got down to the asbestos packing, then pull that out, too. That's just how they built those systems. Once a year guys would get a blood draw to see if they'd inhaled too many lead fumes. Most of my first 18 years were spent drinkin' water from that system and I'm pushin' 70. Maybe they just like to keep bringin' up "crisis" after "crisis" so the pols can "rescue" us. Just keep throwin' money at problems that may or may not be that bad.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bugbor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Yup

Thanked 1,037 Times in 283 Posts

How come the great generation that grew up at the height of lead poisoning Could do so much good and have far better common sense than todays kids? I have to believe that their lead levels were probably off the charts.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pabstman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,862 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabstman View Post
How come the great generation that grew up at the height of lead poisoning Could do so much good and have far better common sense than todays kids? I have to believe that their lead levels were probably off the charts.
Imho IF THE SJW SNOWFLAKES keep it up i can see their lead levels rising to very dangerous levels in the future
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 PM
FBHO

Thanked 1,625 Times in 609 Posts

funny, as a kid I grew up poor on Chicago's south side. 100 year old house, mid 70's Nova that had a leaky exhaust, and a hole in the rear floor board where I sat which ran on Leaded Gasoline, I spent hours as a child staring out a screen window overlooking busy 35th street, surrounded by old brown oil based paint that was chipping and dusty. breathing all of that in. My grandpa in Arizona had gallons of old paint we used to paint a tin barn, then for 10-15 years I worked in factories, one loaded with smoke from a tube mill welder, and another at a weld shop.
OH THE HORROR. I'm fine.

I'm now an enviro sci major. ( I'm headed to the independent consulting side of things, not the tree chaining to hippy, turned beurocrat EPA side.)

They speak of these lead issues like it's the devil incarnate. I think it's mostly bull crud.

The bigger worries are your estrogen mimickers. bpa and Prozac in the water supply, maybe some PCBs left over from Monsanto, GE, or leaking out of transformers right now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sharkeater For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:08 AM
This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeater View Post
funny, as a kid I grew up poor on Chicago's south side. 100 year old house, mid 70's Nova that had a leaky exhaust, and a hole in the rear floor board where I sat which ran on Leaded Gasoline, I spent hours as a child staring out a screen window overlooking busy 35th street, surrounded by old brown oil based paint that was chipping and dusty. breathing all of that in. My grandpa in Arizona had gallons of old paint we used to paint a tin barn, then for 10-15 years I worked in factories, one loaded with smoke from a tube mill welder, and another at a weld shop.
OH THE HORROR. I'm fine.
They speak of these lead issues like it's the devil incarnate. I think it's mostly bull crud.
It's sort of like smoking - it's not a guarantee you'll get sick, but the odds go up a lot. At least according to medical experts who know more about the stuff than i do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
They aren't POISONED, they have "eleveted levels", which is MEANINGLESS until we know the level they consider normal in that area, and what the threshold is for "elevated"...
The article says they use the CDC's threshold, which is 5 micrograms per deciliter of blood.
The Following User Says Thank You to MooseMax For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Canning queen

Lead poisoning is based on a scale of 1-40. Anything over a 10 is an elevated/action level. There is no "safe" level of lead in the blood. It's like being a "little bit pregnant". You are or you aren't.
https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/

catfeet, with 4 lead poisoned children
The Following User Says Thank You to catfeet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:44 AM
gagged

Thanked 8,068 Times in 2,312 Posts

So thats why they are crazy.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orangenomad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Ambulatory

Thanked 2,745 Times in 927 Posts

Drink more. Please.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gray Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,270 Times in 1,391 Posts

As a lab/industrial worker that has extensive contact with lead in his work.

Lead IS bad for you.

The question is not how well you feel now despite exposure as a child, the question how good you could have been without that exposure.

Effects of upto 10 IQ points have been measured in children growing up, depending on exposure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DWwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 06:01 PM
Happy to Be Here!

Thanked 12,857 Times in 4,732 Posts

I have lead shrapnel in my face, and in one of my legs, since age 20 something. I have cast lead bullets since 1966. I shoot often. I soldered components on and off circuit boards as part of a life-long interest in Electronics, Ham Radio, etc. Now approaching 66. You might be right! I could have had a 170 IQ! I really can't run and jump nor work like I did when I was in My 20s!!!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HandLoad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 10:08 PM
Daughter OfThe Revolution

Thanked 101,943 Times in 25,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfeet View Post
Lead poisoning is based on a scale of 1-40. Anything over a 10 is an elevated/action level. There is no "safe" level of lead in the blood. It's like being a "little bit pregnant". You are or you aren't.
https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/

catfeet, with 4 lead poisoned children
What are their symptoms? TIA
Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 PM
FBHO

Thanked 1,625 Times in 609 Posts

in response to "what could you have been?!!"

I took an IQ test administered by a psychologist following a DUI at 19. ( drinking under 21 :/) I took that thing after smoking a little pot in the bathroom of the hospital and partying the weekend before. ya know at 19 you go yo rehab its " Party it up first!"

I got a 127. 80 is average for people today and "retard level" 106 I think are the avg Asian..

OMG I coulda gone on to Mensa, stoned!

Something tells me that I've killed alot more brain cells the last 20 years with booze than the lead ever did.

What do I know, I've had lead exposure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharkeater For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 03:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,270 Times in 1,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeater View Post
in response to "what could you have been?!!"

I took an IQ test administered by a psychologist following a DUI at 19. ( drinking under 21 :/) I took that thing after smoking a little pot in the bathroom of the hospital and partying the weekend before. ya know at 19 you go yo rehab its " Party it up first!"

I got a 127. 80 is average for people today and "retard level" 106 I think are the avg Asian..

OMG I coulda gone on to Mensa, stoned!

Something tells me that I've killed alot more brain cells the last 20 years with booze than the lead ever did.

What do I know, I've had lead exposure.
The effects for any specific individual are not easily predictable because of genetic variance and other habits that can affect the problem and specific exposure.

Across populations that averages out however and in houses with leadpaint and leadpipes it was ~6 IQ points lower. That is a huge oppertunity cost across a whole population.