Seed: The Untold Story - a documentary - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dark Days, Tiger's Story. Version 1.2 Warclaw Books, Movies & Stories 97 05-10-2017 04:26 AM
The Count - a short story introduction to a new series DKR Book Reviews 0 04-13-2017 08:22 PM
2017 Midwest Seed Swaps & Seed Libraries PondEdge Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 03-02-2017 11:33 AM
Need a 101 on Heirloom seeds/saving seeds. ATLPilgrim Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 18 02-27-2017 04:17 PM
2017 Michigan Seed Swaps & Seed Libraries PondEdge Michigan 2 02-15-2017 01:36 PM

Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Emperor has no clothes

Default Seed: The Untold Story - a documentary

Advertise Here

For those of you who haven't already seen it, this evocative documentary is available online at Seed: The Untold Story until May 1st.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PondEdge For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,226 Posts

Thank you for that.

Everyone with a garden should try to grow at least a few old heirloom varieties that would otherwise be lost.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 05:19 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 2,174 Times in 904 Posts

I watched the movie this afternoon. I recommend it. It is well done.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:

Old 04-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,190 Times in 776 Posts

It has been posted on NAFEX (northamerican fruit explorers and then shared other FB sites. I did like it very much, but with some reservations. The main message of maintaining the maximum diversity among food producing organisms is true. Strangely it offers the greatest potential to those that are most responsible for the hybrid and GMO seeds that are now dominating agriculture. These are the very forces that are creating the conditions for the demise of the heirloom type cultivars. And yet these are the potential raw material for future GMO. Irrational and short shorted is it not.
The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Old Man Yells At Cloud

Thanked 1,976 Times in 838 Posts

As a prepper, I don't even consider non heirloom seeds as an option. So I'm doing my part.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 10:55 PM
Prepared

Also on ruko on PBS app
The Following User Says Thank You to greif For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 11:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
As a prepper, I don't even consider non heirloom seeds as an option. So I'm doing my part.
You might contact some seed banks to see if you can add a few rarer and more obscure varieties to your inventory.

It isn't even just food plants we've winnowed down into nothing. My father used to grow old rose species when I was a girl. He had about 300 varieties in beds and around the yard when I was growing up--so many beautifully different plants and blooms--nothing like the incredibly boring hybrid teas just painted different colors that are all you ever see at nurseries these days. For a while I used to volunteer at a similar rose garden planted by a Columbia professor up at St. John the Divine here in the city, but it felt victim to a cathedral expansion plan. Such a crime.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 2,174 Times in 904 Posts

About the movie: I noticed most of the people in the movie who were saving seeds did not have the seeds in a location with ideal temperature for longevity of the seeds, and some of the seeds were not packaged very well.

Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I've been doing quite a lot of research on seed saving, and I even attended a class on seed saving recently. I've learned that people who seem to know what they are doing believe seeds should be stored at around 40 degrees F or should perhaps be stored in a freezer. In the movie, some of the people were storing seeds in a barn or shed where the temp would likely get pretty hot in the summer. I've also learned that seeds should be in airtight containers, and I noticed at least one person in the movie had lots of seeds in paper bags.

Now I'm not trying to disparage the movie. After all, the movie does not purport to be instructional material for learning how to store seeds; rather, the movie's primary purpose, I think, is to explain that our food supply isn't as diverse as it used to be and also to make the viewer aware of the political and economic influences that have most of our population reliant on foods grown from seeds sold by huge conglomerates.

But I'm just saying.